Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 11-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

You can never have too big of a compressor!

:>)

I have Snap-On die grinders - and I have everything in between - including Harbor Freight versions... I agree with you - they've gotten so cheap - you buy a couple and toss 'em when they go bad. While I prefer, by far, to buy American - it's hard to justify a Snap-On cut off tool when the junk versions work just as well.

Once you get a good compressor - then all your tools go air... drills - grinders - dimple dies... then you have to convert your engine hoist to air... and your tranny jack... Next thing you know - you're blowing the floor clean instead of using a broom...

Old 11-16-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
Next thing you know - you're blowing the floor clean instead of using a broom...

I thought I was the only one!
1968 Camaro: DSE tubs and sub frame connectors, Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension, Speedtech upper and lower control arms, Chicane front coilover conversion with QA1's, Baer brakes, 18" Forgeline SO3's, Vintage Air, 6.0L LS 417 rwhp, 4L65E, Moser 12 Bolt w/3.73's....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2391864

Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=19253
Old 11-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDoRun View Post
Thanks for clearing that up Greg! You're absolutely right.

I went to Harbor Freight and bought a 4-1/2" electric grinder, a die grinder, and a 1/4" angle grinder before I started my build. I have about $40 including tax in all three tools. My 1/4" angle grinder started making some pretty nasty sounds yesterday, so I guess it's time to trash it. Not a bad investment for $15...it built most of my car before biting the dust. I really want to see it fly apart before I throw it away! It sounds REAAAALY nasty.

I do suggest a good compressor before starting all this. I had a smaller horizontal 5hp compressor, but it couldn't keep up with the air tools. I ended up buying a 2-stage 5hp 80 gallon compressor from Sears and haven't looked back.
I have a decent size craftsman air comp. My main problem is my garage is only 17x11 so it is a tight squeeze. Thanks for all the tips though.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:03 PM

Not sure how I have missed this build but looking though it you are doing a great job. I can't wait to see more progress.

Richard J.
If only I had the time talent and money to build everything in my head
Old 11-20-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheads78 View Post
Not sure how I have missed this build but looking though it you are doing a great job. I can't wait to see more progress.
Thanks. I took off from work next week, so if the moon and stars align properly, I should have more photos next week. Hopefully, I can get the front subframe back under it, and maybe even start the subframe connector install. But, of course, life always gets in the way.
1968 Camaro: DSE tubs and sub frame connectors, Chassisworks G-Link rear suspension, Speedtech upper and lower control arms, Chicane front coilover conversion with QA1's, Baer brakes, 18" Forgeline SO3's, Vintage Air, 6.0L LS 417 rwhp, 4L65E, Moser 12 Bolt w/3.73's....

Old 01-02-2010, 01:18 AM

Chris how u comin on the car? It looks awesome so far. Thats alot to do for the first time but u look like u doin well. I have my truck tore down rite now to goin to powdercoat frame then start puttin back together i hope.

Toben
Old 01-02-2010, 01:49 AM

Nice build! Makes mewant to start on my 67' camaro. I plan on doing the same mods. How you liking the DP 90? I love the stuff. I reduce it 10% when I spray and it takes most of the orange peel out of it. I like how you sprayed the inside of the quarter before you hung it. Thanks for the pics!! On the Harbor frieght tools..I bought a warranty once just to see if it worked..I wore out an electric grinder and they replaced it twice for free!
Old 01-02-2010, 09:54 AM

The project is coming along well, looking forward to seeing color on it.

Randy(D&Z Customs LLC.)
[email protected]
1-262-347-9741
Old 01-02-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobenk View Post
Chris how u comin on the car? It looks awesome so far. Thats alot to do for the first time but u look like u doin well. I have my truck tore down rite now to goin to powdercoat frame then start puttin back together i hope.

Toben
It's coming, but slowly. I've managed to get the subframe under the car and aligned to the best of my ability so that I could start welding in the DSE sub frame connectors. I've pulled about 6 million dimensions on the car and subframe. Some x dimensions are within a 1/16th and other dimensions like wheel base dimensions are about 3/8" off from side to side. I don't have the rear suspension under the car yet, so I'm doing my best in determining the 12:00 position on the quarter lip and then dropping a plumbob to the ground to find the center of the wheel opening to measure the wheel base. Who knows, I could be slightly off with my guessing. I did get the driver side floor cut out and the connector is fitted and ready to be welded. BUT before I weld it in, I think I'll hang the front sheetmetal one more time and measure some more.

I find myself trying to build a 68 Camaro with 2010 specs, and it just ain't happening to work out the best for me. I'll be posting pictures soon hopefully. The holidays were supposed to be time for me to work on the car, but that it didn't happen! Stay tuned.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 796spdbu View Post
Nice build! Makes mewant to start on my 67' camaro. I plan on doing the same mods. How you liking the DP 90? I love the stuff. I reduce it 10% when I spray and it takes most of the orange peel out of it. I like how you sprayed the inside of the quarter before you hung it. Thanks for the pics!! On the Harbor frieght tools..I bought a warranty once just to see if it worked..I wore out an electric grinder and they replaced it twice for free!
I like the DP-90 so far. I've only used it on the exterior of the car. Everything you see in grey is the Omni line of epoxy primer by PPG. It's much cheaper than the DP-90 and was more appealing to me for the areas not seeing a basecoat/clearcoat application.