Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 05-15-2009, 11:06 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post
My plan for this '69 is kinda a Porsche 911 deal. Just keep evolving it. Porsche kept the same car for years and just kept tweeking it.
'69 Camaro SS actually = Stielow Skunkworks?

Old 05-15-2009, 11:49 PM

sorry to get off topic, but awesome dog, i have a cattle dog too, Mollie.
Attached Images

Old 05-16-2009, 06:16 AM

The car is shaping up nicely Mark!
Old 05-16-2009, 07:58 AM

Thanked 1,852 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7TSS View Post
Mark, what are you using for motor mount adapters, headers and transmission crossmember? Are they made by DSE?

I have the DSE subframe and was wondering which headers would work with the ATS mounts and T56 crossmember.
The headers are Kooks for a 1st Gen. I had them sent to me unwelded and added the SPD 1 7/8 round tube header flanges. You can try just buying them welded and see how they fit. (Retail they are ~$900) The Kooks headers came with engine mounts which work perfect. Much better than the ATS ones. I pull the stock engine mount stands off my original sub frame and they bolted right on the DSE frame. I bolted the Kooks adaptors on my LS7 and got some stock '69 rubber engine mounts and it all bolted right up. (I was shocked!)

To get the headers to fit like I wanted I only had to cut the some of the tube to length. I had Stenode weld them up and the welds are artwork. I ordered bends from Borla, Corsa and Woolf to make the rest of the exhaust with Borla Mufflers. Most of the S/S was left over from old projects. Woolf is a great source for bends if you need tight bends and don't want to spend the big money on Burns.

I good source for S/S V-band clamps is Summit Racing Dynatech brand. Again they are about half the price of Burns and work fine and may be the same stuff.

While I'm ranting about exhaust the best Hot Rod exhaust hangers are from Stainless Works. There not cheap but they are very good. My rule of thumb from racing '69 Camaro's on One Lap of America is the exhaust system should be able to support you full body weight! I weight 190 lb and I can do chin up on my systems.

The trans cross menber is an ATS part. Works fine if you use the stock height sub-frame mounts. Or you can just make one.

I love the package. The DSE clip allows the stock LS7 oil pan. The Vintage Air front runner looks very OE and fits. I can even get the header on and off the car from the top of the engine. This my not sound like a big deal but it is very nice to be able to work on the car with out taking it half apart.

My only complaint was we had to trim the rad support mount .200" to get the front sheet metal to fit with the DSE front clip. Not sure which one was off and it was a quick deal. But the DSE clip came assembled, powdered coat and I just bolted it in.

Oh well off to meet a Jackass... well work on Charleys car.

Mark

Last edited by Stielow; 05-16-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:20 AM

Mark the car looks great!!!!!!!! When do you project it being finished?

Steve
Old 05-16-2009, 08:32 AM

Thanked 1,852 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aany001 View Post
Mark the car looks great!!!!!!!! When do you project it being finished?

Steve
Well a lot depends on if GM is still a "going concern". I would like to have it with JA at SEMA. But it is not a big deal. When I was driving JA last weekend I really wanted to get my car done.

I'll see how it goes after June 1.

Mark
Old 05-16-2009, 09:14 AM

Great build Mark, I think its SS, Which should stand for "Stielow Simple"

I think everyone can learn from his builds simple can be your friend, along with "Attention To Detail"

70 Nova SS street racer, ugly,
Old 05-16-2009, 10:55 AM

Default P/Tour

Mark, is this going to be ready? hard to imagine there would be 2 new S/built 69s on the tour - I'm ready to see them both! - see you on the tour!
90 Formula / Firehawk clone
1999 Firehawk
1969 Chevelle SS 396
Old 05-16-2009, 11:00 AM

Thanked 2,256 Times in 1,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMAN1969 View Post
Mark, is this going to be ready? hard to imagine there would be 2 new S/built 69s on the tour - I'm ready to see them both! - see you on the tour!
https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...5&postcount=36
Old 05-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post
The headers are Kooks for a 1st Gen. I had them sent to me unwelded and added the SPD 1 7/8 round tube header flanges. You can try just buying them welded and see how they fit. (Retail they are ~$900) The Kooks headers came with engine mounts which work perfect. Much better than the ATS ones. I pull the stock engine mount stands off my original sub frame and they bolted right on the DSE frame. I bolted the Kooks adaptors on my LS7 and got some stock '69 rubber engine mounts and it all bolted right up. (I was shocked!)

To get the headers to fit like I wanted I only had to cut the some of the tube to length. I had Stenode weld them up and the welds are artwork. I ordered bends from Borla, Corsa and Woolf to make the rest of the exhaust with Borla Mufflers. Most of the S/S was left over from old projects. Woolf is a great source for bends if you need tight bends and don't want to spend the big money on Burns.

I good source for S/S V-band clamps is Summit Racing Dynatech brand. Again they are about half the price of Burns and work fine and may be the same stuff.

While I'm ranting about exhaust the best Hot Rod exhaust hangers are from Stainless Works. There not cheap but they are very good. My rule of thumb from racing '69 Camaro's on One Lap of America is the exhaust system should be able to support you full body weight! I weight 190 lb and I can do chin up on my systems.

The trans cross menber is an ATS part. Works fine if you use the stock height sub-frame mounts. Or you can just make one.

I love the package. The DSE clip allows the stock LS7 oil pan. The Vintage Air front runner looks very OE and fits. I can even get the header on and off the car from the top of the engine. This my not sound like a big deal but it is very nice to be able to work on the car with out taking it half apart.

My only complaint was we had to trim the rad support mount .200" to get the front sheet metal to fit with the DSE front clip. Not sure which one was off and it was a quick deal. But the DSE clip came assembled, powdered coat and I just bolted it in.

Oh well off to meet a Jackass... well work on Charleys car.

Mark
Thanks for the response. I'll definitely look into the Kook's and VA Frontrunner setups. I appreciate the tips on the exhaust too.

Your cars have always been nicely packaged and well thought out.

Always looking forward to more progress pics.