Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Classifieds > What's it Worth
User Name
Password

Old 12-21-2009, 11:48 PM

To be honest, I browsed the ad and didn't realize Scott built that car. It's a really nice car and I agree it's not that dated. It definitely fits that baby boomer mentality. Big block, street rod interior, etc. It could easily go 125k at barret jackson. Still a little pessimistic about ebay and big money.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
I've been telling anyone that has asked me "what's this "X" worth"... it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay - and right now - I have ZERO idea what ANYTHING is worth.

I look at cars like this more in a "what would it cost me to build a car like that" -- and I couldn't build that car for 125K.... but I wouldn't pay 125K for a 5 year old build either... it's "dated" already. Still - it's probably nicer than any hot rod I own.

$500K for Ring Brothers Camaro.... Ummmmmmmm nope.... 'Cause here's my thinking on that kind of a sale. It will NEVER be "MY" car - it will always be someones else's build... Personally.... I would have to paint it... and for 500K I want it MY WAY!!
I don't believe this car is a 5 year old build. He's referencing another car.

It's a nice car, and the more it brings the better IMO. These damn things take alot of money to build.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:03 AM

I was with Scott a few weeks ago at Turkey Run, car is fresh and nice. Interior is awesome. I think the car is easily worth the money but think he just hurt it bad putting it on E bay and not hitting the mark. It needs to do closer to $150 for him, and if he sent it to Barrett, he would get it. Cars that were not half this car brought almost as much as this bid.

While is this not as car that will impress the Lateral G Crowd in component choices stock subframe, carb big block, huge tires wheel package, the car has serious eyes to a broader range of the market. This one is perfect for the Barrett crowd, A Camaro, popular color combo, not overly personalized or themed, I think he missed a huge chance (and most likely his only chance) of breaking the bank. My buddy Anthony offered up a killer prime time number. I would have sent it in a second. If I built something for Barrett, this would be pretty damn close to what I would build.

As for shill bidding, I would not be surprised if the bidding was real, this is a car that would cost $250 to build in many shops. Maybe he gets lucky and his $125K is real, I bet if they split it they would both be smiling.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Supporting Vendor

RecoveryRoomInteriors.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
I was with Scott a few weeks ago at Turkey Run, car is fresh and nice. Interior is awesome. I think the car is easily worth the money but think he just hurt it bad putting it on E bay and not hitting the mark. It needs to do closer to $150 for him, and if he sent it to Barrett, he would get it. Cars that were not half this car brought almost as much as this bid.

While is this not as car that will impress the Lateral G Crowd in component choices stock subframe, carb big block, huge tires wheel package, the car has serious eyes to a broader range of the market. This one is perfect for the Barrett crowd, A Camaro, popular color combo, not overly personalized or themed, I think he missed a huge chance (and most likely his only chance) of breaking the bank. My buddy Anthony offered up a killer prime time number. I would have sent it in a second. If I built something for Barrett, this would be pretty damn close to what I would build.

As for shill bidding, I would not be surprised if the bidding was real, this is a car that would cost $250 to build in many shops. Maybe he gets lucky and his $125K is real, I bet if they split it they would both be smiling.
X2..You are right Frank,Alot of the cars we work on are like this car.You could not build it for 125,000
Old 12-22-2009, 08:40 AM

What the car is worth and what it fetches on Ebay are 2 different things because there's just too much bid rigging and collusion on big ticket items. Like Todd mentioned, I just don't have a positive attitude about what I see on Ebay anymore. Just because there are 66 bids doesn't mean much. That could just mean that someone or a group was smarter with their collusion efforts. These high-end builds haven't been fetching much at all recently on Ebay(80K range), so to see this one go all the way to 125K is rare nowadays. Not saying it's not possible or 'dishonest', it's just rare. Maybe 2 or more folks truly did get in a bidding war and really wanted the car. If so, that's nice to see and hopefully starts a new trend for all the great builders out there.

The car is stunning. I hope he gets a solid price for such a great build.

Last edited by chr2002ca; 12-22-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:29 AM

E bay is the wrong place for high end cars. I am 100% convinced the market is Barrett Jackson or private. I think if it does not sell on E bay, it is dead right where it ended. That is why I only run no reserve if I use ebay. If I am worried about what it will bring, I do not list it.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:40 AM

Agreed on ebay and BJ. This looks like the ideal BJ car for that crowd.

And 66 bids means nothing... look at the bid history (private identities, of course)... it could very well and most likely was 2 or 3 "friends" bidding it up... so easy to do they just ask for it.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 12-22-2009, 11:53 AM

I still think Ebay is good advertising. You just need to put up a high number and say a 30 day listing.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:25 PM

I am a total newb with ebay. In fact I have NEVER bought or sold anything on ebay. I don't understand the private identity and shill bidding or how any of it works. I was under the impression if there was 66 bids then there was 66 real bids. And real people making those bids. Can anyone help me get a clue here?

I do like the car mentioned. Not what I would build for myself, but still a very nice and well done car. I hope they get a decent number out of it somehow.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:03 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProdigyCustoms View Post
E bay is the wrong place for high end cars. I am 100% convinced the market is Barrett Jackson or private. I think if it does not sell on E bay, it is dead right where it ended. That is why I only run no reserve if I use ebay. If I am worried about what it will bring, I do not list it.
But "private" where? You've got to get it out there somehow.

I don't think a final ebay bid has anything to do with what a car can bring.