Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Classifieds > What's it Worth
User Name
Password

Old 03-25-2012, 09:08 AM

Contact the Corvette Museum and discuss with them about tracking down the history of the paint. It may take some time but they should be able to help point you in the correct direction.

If it is documented and you can get another NCRS value of some status will help.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:23 AM

Just a little more info regarding the color.

I read through the letter from the original owner again and he states that it was painted Newport Blue. He details the process he had to go through to get the car in that color. One dealer told him they would order the car in primer only and paint it at there shop. Finally the dealer in Camden, OH got in touch with the factory in St. Louis and they said they would paint it any current GM color for no extra charge. The original owner had seen the Newport Blue on a '60 Pontiac and liked it.

When the car was to be restored in 1990, a NCRS rep inspected it and wrote a letter stating that at that time to the best of his ability to determine..........the paint on the car was the original factory applied paint - Newport Blue. It was subsequently restored.............and then driven for 22 years to arrive at the current state - all there, but a bit worse for the wear.

It starts, runs and drives just fine. It probably needs valve seals as it smokes a bit on startup.

EDIT: Just did some quick research on the paint code. It is listed at 4032 in the documents that he has. That is listed for several years as a GM color including '62. The Newport Blue nomenclature was used for the Cadillac though. Several folks have suggested on the Corvette forums to look behind the driver's seat for the crayon mark for the paint color code - I will look into that.
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!

Last edited by wiedemab; 03-25-2012 at 08:37 PM. Reason: incorrect info
Old 03-25-2012, 08:36 PM

You are correct...I misread the letter. It was Kettering-Hill Chevy in Camden, OH......according to the letter. Ask him if that sounds right? I remembered the Kettering part...sorry
'67 Chevy II -
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46846

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!