Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-17-2015, 03:39 PM

Default The Family Hauler – 1966 Chevelle

Hey Guys!

I’m reemerging from lurker status to post some exciting news! We brought our second son into the world back in May. Between a new baby at home and a busy year for our business we’ve not had much time left over for our Camaro. We’ve only had it out on a couple 10-15 mile cruises this year. We would like to use it more but it’s just not a baby friendly car at this time. Our three year old loves the Camaro but we have him wear ear protection and mount his car seat in the center for more leg room. The exhaust is way too loud and the back seat is a bit cramped for 2 car seats…

We’ve often talked about our next car being a 66 Chevelle. So a couple weeks ago I’m perusing the net just seeing what was out there on Chevelles for sale. There were a few black, blue, and silver cars that caught my eye so I asked Beth “If we were to buy a 66 Chevelle, what color would you like it to be?”. She hits me with gunmetal gray…. I was like “come on, at least pick something I have a chance finding!”…. Well, this past week I stumbled across pretty much exactly what she described within driving distance. It took a bit of logistical gymnastics and one loooong day trip but we picked up a gunmetal gray 1966 Chevelle.

It has nice paint/body and a redone factory interior. There’s a few blemishes but they don’t bother us too much since we will be driving it. The engine is a 496 mated to a Muncie 4 speed with a 12 bolt out back and Wilwoods all around. The car has some get up and go but seems to be very streetable and the exhaust is 50% quieter than the Camaro. Between that and a larger back seat I think it will work well for our family hauler.

We plan to add a Vintage Air system and possibly a Dakota Digital gauge cluster. A winter project will be updating to a coilover suspension setup. We may also do a 5 or 6 speed swap but we’ll enjoy the car the rest of this season and see what it needs before tearing into it much.

We had hoped to get it outside yesterday afternoon to snap a few pics but the weather is not cooperating. For now some crappy cell phone pics will have to do.

Thanks for looking
//1969 Camaro (Hers...)