Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 02-17-2020, 11:05 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Saturday I finished up the passenger trunk drop extension to fit the wide body quarter. That was a semi quick thing to finish.

With that done the upper radiator mount bushings showed up last week so I was able to finish mounting the radiator. First I finished up the fan shroud though so get that knocked off my list. Then I made both upper frame mounts and finished them out before installing the rivnut and getting them welded to the frame.

With the radiator mounted I finished off the day by getting the new core support outline set. The plan is to build a carbon fiber duct that will bolt to the core support and direct air into the cooling stack. My current plan is to only have the main radiator, condenser, and oil cooler in this stack to make it as efficient as I can. The power steering cooler will possibly end up in there as well, but I want to try and put it else where first. The on each side of the car I want to split up the heat exchanger into two smaller units and duct them into the wheel wells along with the secondary radiator much like the new generation ZL1. By doing the Corvette frame swap I gained a ton of room where the original frame rails and inner fenders used to be.

Goosesdad (02-17-2020), Spiffav8 (02-18-2020), syborg tt (03-12-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 05:00 PM

Saturdays adventures with the car I taught myself how to use a shrinking disk. I made more progress with the disk in 15 min then I did with hours of hammer and dolly work. It also help a lot with some tin canning I had.

I was able to get the high spots taken care of on the driver and passenger sides of the roof.

I also finished welding the front section of the roof. I still need to hammer and dolly that section and hopefully not much with the shrinking disk.

To gain access to the bottom I needed to cut the structure out from under the roof. Since I had it out and access I decided to put some dimples in it. every little bit of weight savings adds up.

I finished up the day taking the front end apart so I can start working on the core support during the week after work. The radiator laid out looks killer exposed like this.

dhutton (02-24-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 02:59 PM

Saturday I was semi lazy and didn't work on what I was planning on doing. Instead I went after finishing up the trans cooler mount and getting the diff. cooler mounted. Nothing to exciting to write about, so here are some pictures since that's all we really want to see lol.

camcojb (03-05-2020), syborg tt (03-04-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 08:50 PM

Fantastic, AJ. Keep up the great work.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
The Following User Says Thank You to WSSix For This Useful Post:
CamaroAJ (03-05-2020)
Old 03-04-2020, 09:38 PM

Maybe you're planning something but just a thought, not like I'm some sort of fabricator but would it be advantageous to close out the bottom leaving the side open with some sort of removable louvered panel or duct.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tilted-Pair...-/183635037710
This way heat could escape while directing fresh air to the coolers. Plus it could also protect the coolers from all the rubber that's gonna be tracked up there.
Keep up all the nice fabricating work, I'm amazed at your engineering craftsmanship.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to F'in mine For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (03-12-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F'in mine View Post
Maybe you're planning something but just a thought, not like I'm some sort of fabricator but would it be advantageous to close out the bottom leaving the side open with some sort of removable louvered panel or duct.

This way heat could escape while directing fresh air to the coolers. Plus it could also protect the coolers from all the rubber that's gonna be tracked up there.
Keep up all the nice fabricating work, I'm amazed at your engineering craftsmanship.
I'm planning on ducting the coolers from vents on the top of the quarter panels. On the exhaust side of the cooler they will duct through my defuser and I was planning on fins similar to what you posted for the same reason, road debris. I also will be doing it in the front wheel wells on the exhaust side of the coolers that will duct into the wheel wells like the new ZL1 Camaro's do
Old 03-09-2020, 09:19 AM

Friday morning my buddies text me and wanted me to bring my car to a show they were hosting at Vintage Air. I told them they were killin me as I took it all apart last weekend lol. I thrashed on it after work Friday night for a few hours and then finished it up Saturday morning before heading to the show.

This is the most complete this car has ever been and its actually looking like the light at the end of the tunnel is coming. At the show I got tons of questions. Most of them were how and why. I even got a job offer from one of the shops that were there lol. Bummed I didn't have any tires yet for the front wheels so I had to roll my steelies. For its first car show ever I'm pretty happy with the outcome and looking forward to actually driving it to one someday.

dhutton (03-09-2020), fleetus macmullitz (03-09-2020), Goosesdad (03-12-2020), syborg tt (03-12-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 11:24 AM

Looks very promising the way it's sitting now. I can only imagine how nice it'll be once finished.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 214Chevelle View Post
Looks very promising the way it's sitting now. I can only imagine how nice it'll be once finished.
Me too. Gives me more motivation to get it done seeing it like this.
Old 03-12-2020, 07:29 AM

Good work in letting the obsession out to breathe. The brackets, man . . . you should do a photo diary of just the brackets you've made for this thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to rustomatic For This Useful Post:
Che70velle (03-12-2020)