Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 08-03-2006, 09:51 AM

This looks like a great project. Please post pictures.

I have thought about the dynacorn bodies quite a bit. The one big question I have not been able to get a straight answer to is: How do you get one of these cars registered and licensed without a real VIN. When I have asked this question to distributors I sort of get the wink wink knod knod donor car answer...implying that one would transfer the VIN from a donor car to the dynacorn body. Does anyone know?

-Tracy
Old 08-03-2006, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracy
This looks like a great project. Please post pictures.

I have thought about the dynacorn bodies quite a bit. The one big question I have not been able to get a straight answer to is: How do you get one of these cars registered and licensed without a real VIN. When I have asked this question to distributors I sort of get the wink wink knod knod donor car answer...implying that one would transfer the VIN from a donor car to the dynacorn body. Does anyone know?

-Tracy
while a lot of people will do that , it is completely illegal !! I know of many camaros that were prevoius firebirds now.

I was told that there are 8 vin's on everycar !!
I know i found at least 3-4 on my 70 GTO .
Mini tub/AIR Ride
RMS Suspension
CURRENTLY FOR SALE !!!
Old 08-03-2006, 10:31 AM

on the Camaros, it is the firwall and cowl numbers is it. Non Air Cars have 2 firewal numbers, A/C cars have one, then the top of the cowl.

Tracy, the VIN question is answer at the link I posted.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:55 AM

I was really suprised to notice from Ricks or others camaro parts catalog at the dynacorn body is "imported" ? If so where-mexico?
Old 08-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Tracy,
In Texas, it is fairly straight forward. I will have to complete a few forms, show proof of ownership for the body and most of the drive train components, and get the vehicle inspected by the Texas Department of Public Safety.
I have no intention of trying to obtain a donor VIN and title, or trying to pass the car of as an original Camaro in any way. If I did, you sure as heck would not see me participating in any open forum.

Datsbad/Rob/Frank,
If it costs more, it costs more. I will complete the car. As far as all of the small stuff goes, I have purchased it all, as well as obtained most of the things that are not yet reproduced. I bought most of the reproduced stuff from Classic Industries when they had one of their 20% off sales.

Rob/Frank,
I am also interested to see the reply to #28. I will be large pissed if I have the same issues with the doors. If Dynacorn claims to have pre-fit my body with doors and a trunk lid, and that much work is still required, I will be going after them. As far as the primer goes, I specifically ordered my body without it. I plan to strip the EDP off and start with bare metal.

All,
As promised, pics to come next week.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:08 PM

Default change vins

it is not illegal to take the vin and tags off a body and install them on the replacment body, i have done a few truck cab chanes etc due to damage and i swap all tags etc over to the new/used cab that is used. i know some uys here who build bikes, all they do is call the state police have them come inspect the bike and stamp it with a vin, this could also be done to a new kit car body, and no it does not make them a 2006 here either
jake
Old 08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtieracing
I was really suprised to notice from Ricks or others camaro parts catalog at the dynacorn body is "imported" ? If so where-mexico?
Probably Tiawan, like basically all other sheetmetal for these old cars.

Not sure how true, but my parts guys said as a rule of thumb, if it has that black primer, it's there to protect from the seawater/humidity when being shipped over here.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:46 PM

Doesn't C.A.R.S have a turn key option using a Dynacorn body? Has anyone looked into this?

BTib
what parts are not repro'd for the car that you had to get?

I really can'tr think of anything you can't buy for a 69 thats repro'd
Old 08-03-2006, 02:42 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Parts not yet reproduced for the 69 Camaro convertible

Rob,
The items not yet available for a 69 convertible are as follows:

Ash tray door on dash
Glove box door
A-Pillar weatherstrip channel (now available for coupes)
Convertible male hinge brackets
Convertible top frame attaching hardware (stuff that is not available at your local hardware store)
Quarter panel to floor braces (these are the bolt on braces inside the car) I have not found these yet.
Rear window access covers (only used in convertibles, and I still need em if you got em)
Rear seat frame
Convertible coctail shakers (I will not need to use these since I am doing some things to stiffen the frame, and I have a fully tunable suspension.)
Under dash bracket that the steering column, clutch and brake pedals, and brake master cylinder attach to.
Wiring covers that screw to the rockers inside the car.
Trunk catch bracket.
When I started pulling parts together earlier in the year, much of the window hardware was not yet available, so I bought it all used and had it replated. Most is now available though.

Well, that is about all I can think of. I am sure I am missing some things that I would not use even if they were available, like some of the original style A/C ductwork, etc.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BThibodeaux
Rob,
The items not yet available for a 69 convertible are as follows:

Ash tray door on dash
Glove box door
A-Pillar weatherstrip channel (now available for coupes)
Convertible male hinge brackets
Convertible top frame attaching hardware (stuff that is not available at your local hardware store)
Quarter panel to floor braces (these are the bolt on braces inside the car) I have not found these yet.
Rear window access covers (only used in convertibles, and I still need em if you got em)
Rear seat frame
Convertible coctail shakers (I will not need to use these since I am doing some things to stiffen the frame, and I have a fully tunable suspension.)
Under dash bracket that the steering column, clutch and brake pedals, and brake master cylinder attach to.
Wiring covers that screw to the rockers inside the car.
Trunk catch bracket.
When I started pulling parts together earlier in the year, much of the window hardware was not yet available, so I bought it all used and had it replated. Most is now available though.

Well, that is about all I can think of. I am sure I am missing some things that I would not use even if they were available, like some of the original style A/C ductwork, etc.

I'm surprised that the hinge brackets and under dash bracket aren't part of the Dynacorn body.

As far as the Quarter panel to floor braces, if you mean the kidney bean shape looking things check Camaros.net there was a guy selling a pair awile ago, or atlest he had a set. Same for the Rear window access covers

Here are the harness covers: they should be the same for a vert http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm floored that they don't make the ashtray and GB doors in repo....

As far as the rear seat, since this is a custom car think about a custom rear seat, some here, I believe, have used 4th gen rear seats and you can incorporate a cool arm rest with maybe some cup holders.

I wish I could help but I don't have any spare parts like what you need.

I would also look into a vintage ac unit and forget factory ducting...