...

Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 12-03-2019, 01:30 AM
jaba jaba is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 21
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

A few posts coming up to fit all of this amazing work in.

One of the biggest sheet metal projects is now ticked off the list. Having pushed the motor and gearbox back I've had to recess the firewall 2" to give clearance behind the motor for sensors, wiring and a pair of bulkhead connectors.

Another issue with pushing the motor back is header clearance on the drivers side foot well / kick board. As I've gone to a Wilwood pedal setup I no longer need the additional clearance the factory provides on the drivers side so I have had it modified by the masters at The Panel Shop in Bibra Lake, WA to match the passenger side.

This also means the new firewall can be symmetrical instead of having a step out at the bottom to match the D/S kick board.

The factory floor was removed and replaced along with the reinforced frame mount section being extended in a similar way the P/S was built from factory.




















Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-03-2019, 01:39 AM
jaba jaba is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 21
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

With the floor sorted the guys could move onto sorting out the actual firewall.

It was made out of two pieced formed in a buck (the firewall and recess) then welded, planished and metal finished.

A small section of the cowl area was removed in order to fit the recess, this took a little bit of working out as the Raingear wiper system also required that real estate and on top of that i have modified the cowl openings in the panel to have a more uniform shape (and to get rid of the ugly plastic grill that barely stops leaves!) Thankfully there is just enough space for everything to fit nicely, with 10mm or so clearance between the wiper arm and the firewall / cowl.















Everything was then epoxied and final welded into place.





Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 12-03-2019, 01:45 AM
jaba jaba is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 21
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

And some final shots from when I got it home, had to throw on the intake and exhaust headers for a bit of a look.

I wasn't completely sold on the shape of the recess at first but now that I have seen it with the intake and manifolds mocked up i'm quite pleased with how its turned out.

The guys didn't have time before the Christmas / new year break to sort out the trans tunnel so i have brought it home to look into the steering components, driveshaft and maybe some wiring / plumbing mock up.

Cheers!









Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-03-2019, 07:49 PM
WSSix WSSix is offline
Lateral-g Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Dunwoody, GA
Posts: 5,341
Thanks: 14
Thanked 113 Times in 102 Posts
Default

Fantastic work on the firewall! Congrats on clearing this big hurdle.
__________________
Trey

1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims

Holy crap! I finally have a Lat-g Build thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=46415
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WSSix For This Useful Post:
jaba (12-08-2019)
  #45  
Old 12-08-2019, 11:42 PM
jaba jaba is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 21
Thanks: 1
Thanked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Another job ticked off. Manned up and cut a hole for the column after measuring it at least 25 times with string lines, levels and a laser. Thankfully got it in the correct spot. Then went about connecting the column to the rack.



It required 3 uni joints and therefore a support bearing. I wanted to avoid having to weld to the frame or make a bracket so I drew up a small threaded extension that bolts to the frame and had it machined at a local shop. I just need to have two slots milled into it so i can fit a spanner on it to tighten everything down. At the time it didn't even cross my mind.





That was the tricky bit, after about 5 trips back and forth and some trial and error I finally found a setup that worked well.









Turned out pretty nice, moves nice and smoothly. Surprisingly I could actually turn the front wheels (when on jack stands) from rotating the column uni joint by hand, so I'm pretty confident once I sort a steering wheel there will be no issues. Pedal box next!

Something to note for anyone planning on doing this in the future. I used Borgeson Uni Joints and 3/4" Double D shaft for all parts except the Uni joint that fits the rack. I found the Borgeson shaft did not fit the Borgeson support bearing as the tolerance was too tight and therefore had to purchase another shaft of unknown brand. Sadly only found this out after I had cut the shafts to length!! Just a heads up to check everything fits together well before cutting up the shafts!

Last edited by jaba; 12-08-2019 at 11:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaba For This Useful Post:
camcojb (12-08-2019), CCS (12-09-2019), slimjim (12-09-2019)
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright Lateral-g.net