Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 02-08-2013, 11:06 AM

Nice job Todd! 6:30 is killin it!

I'm nursing a tight IT band right now (foam rolling an IT band looks like this --> ), but hopefully I will come off this rest time ready to have another breakthrough myself.

As far as the mental side of things, I appreciate all of your commentary...it's reinforcing everything I am learning in my own 'quest'.

1968 Camaro: "TRACKDAY"

Build In Progress: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=10706

Last edited by sik68; 02-08-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 PM

Steven, you should chime in on your ideals. Who, what, and how. For starters....
Old 02-09-2013, 10:04 AM

6:30 is great todd!! even though your 5k times are good, 6:30 is a good barometer of how good of shape you have gotten your self back in to. Only a runner can understand how fast that is. Great job!
Old 02-09-2013, 10:09 AM

the run group that i train with is going to do 1mi tt real soon. It will be interesting to see how fast i can do it. 6:30 is stout. I have ran a 6:50 in the last mile of a 7 mile run. 6:30 would satisfy me, thats for sure.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Steven, you should chime in on your ideals. Who, what, and how. For starters....
The best way I can explain my change is by describing a life-changing challenge that I am undertaking. Through it, it will show you how every day-to-day situation that used to bring out negative emotions, can be viewed with an equally compelling set of positive emotions. Just by changing your perspective, moments of frustration are equally viewed as moments of opportunity, moments of rushing/panic are equally viewed as moments to learn, moments of jealousy are equally viewed as moments of admiration.

It's really easy, but is a very conscious process. Simply, every sentence you utter, ONLY say it with positive phrasing. For example, a really easy one is, "I don't want to be late." Mentally, this is very different from saying the equivalent of "I want to be on time." Studying the two sentences, you can see how the second one opens up more opportunities for you mentally.

Another example is, "I don't want to do the dishes." For this, you could say, "I want to do the dishes tomorrow." Lo and behold, the next morning you are much more mentally accepting of the pile of dishes.

There's a million examples, but, essentially, pay attention to how you phrase sentences, and spin as many of them positively as possible. Chip away at it, and you will find yourself happier with yourself, people will like you more, and you will be more influential and empowered.

Cheers!
S

1968 Camaro: "TRACKDAY"

Build In Progress: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=10706
Old 02-09-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi875 View Post
6:30 is great todd!! even though your 5k times are good, 6:30 is a good barometer of how good of shape you have gotten your self back in to. Only a runner can understand how fast that is. Great job!
Thanks man, it was tough but not terrible during the run. The cool down was brutal though. I have to admit the conditions were favorable. More slight downhills than uphills but the end was all up hill!

I still haven't fixed my nose so this was done on about 80% mouth breathing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sik68 View Post
The best way I can explain my change is by describing a life-changing challenge that I am undertaking. Through it, it will show you how every day-to-day situation that used to bring out negative emotions, can be viewed with an equally compelling set of positive emotions. Just by changing your perspective, moments of frustration are equally viewed as moments of opportunity, moments of rushing/panic are equally viewed as moments to learn, moments of jealousy are equally viewed as moments of admiration.

It's really easy, but is a very conscious process. Simply, every sentence you utter, ONLY say it with positive phrasing. For example, a really easy one is, "I don't want to be late." Mentally, this is very different from saying the equivalent of "I want to be on time." Studying the two sentences, you can see how the second one opens up more opportunities for you mentally.

Another example is, "I don't want to do the dishes." For this, you could say, "I want to do the dishes tomorrow." Lo and behold, the next morning you are much more mentally accepting of the pile of dishes.

There's a million examples, but, essentially, pay attention to how you phrase sentences, and spin as many of them positively as possible. Chip away at it, and you will find yourself happier with yourself, people will like you more, and you will be more influential and empowered.

Cheers!
S
Attitude is comprised of how you feel about your past, your present, your future, yourself, the people around you, and how you handle challenges.

That's why I keep preaching that it takes time to change. You must change the way you think overtime. That is done through education, positive influences, associations, achieving goals, and disciplines.

What your doing is similar to affirmations. My mentor Jim Rohn says: Affirmation without action is the beginning of delusion.

Affirmations are great as long as you follow through with Action. Otherwise, it's simply a lie to yourself.

It's good to hear that you are improving your mind.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:30 AM

I turned 36 today and I'm in the best shape of my life. I was hesistant to do this but I feel it's important to show that I don't just talk the talk, I walk the walk.

Here I was about a year and a half ago. Probably in the 190-195 range. Bad habits galore, from drinking like a fish to a pretty poor diet.

It's now been about 8 months since I changed my habits. I live very much by Jack Lalanne's ideals from diet to excercise. I like to run but have no desire to look like a marathoner so I've tried to keep as much mass as possible. I have changed from my old ways of super heavy weights with nap between sets to 30 minute super high intensity workouts. After 8 months, now I can lift pretty heavy weight with 20-30 seconds rest between sets. I ran a mile in 6:30 two weeks ago. It's really a nice chunk of both worlds. I will say that diet and consistency is everthing. I haven't worked out less than 4 days a week in the last 8 months. (Unless I was sick) I eat 6-7 times most days.

A typical day for me:
Breakfast:
Green Apple
Whole Wheat Toast/NATURAL Peanut Butter/Honey
Non Fat Cottage Cheese/Blueberries/Blackberries(Or other seasonal fruit)

Mid morning:
Raw nuts or banana

Lunch:
A reasonable lunch like a half sandwich and cup of soup or salad with black beans, chicken/steak, pico, light cheese, avocado....

Mid afternoon:
Nuts or another fruit

Pre workout: Orange or Banana

Workout:
3 mile run or .5 hours of high intensity weight (4 days a week)

Dinner:
Grilled Salmon and a spinach salad with 6-10 vegetables/Olive Oil Balsamic or other good dressing

Late Snack:
Greek Yogurt with some granola

I'm at the point where I have trouble keeping the weight on with my above diet. I do drink wine or beer in moderation on Friday and Saturday nights. Again, it's all discipline that turn into good habits.

Last edited by Vegas69; 02-26-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Better.... but still butt ugly!
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM

You can't change ugly....
Old 02-26-2013, 10:45 AM

I like the before look better.
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer