Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

A good article for 'Investing 102' this morning in Seeking Alpha.... I love having the internet in airplanes now! I can get all kinds of reading done!

This article - for me - is one of reinforcement about what happens when the SHARE PRICE rises over time -- and the stock pays a dividend.... and if that dividend rises over time and just stays at 3 or 4% of the CURRENT share price... you actual dividend yield could be far higher based on YOUR COST BASIS.

What a marvelous way to make money!

When I read articles like this -- I don't so much look at the stock it might be discussing..... but rather - look at the principles it might be discussing as they can apply to ANY stock.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/5013...g_income&ifp=0
Old 04-17-2012, 11:05 AM

Another "good" but sadly --- heart wrenching --- article about whether or not people are prepared to retire.

Some very sad statistics here....

Hopefully NO ONE reading Investing 102 will fare so poorly!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47063385.../#.T42Sie0_e0s
Old 04-17-2012, 05:37 PM

Default Banco Santander

So --- Anyone that has this stock -- BANCO SANTANDER (STD) in their accounts --- should receive a notice on HOW YOU WANT TO RECEIVE YOUR DIVIDEND...

You'll have three choices -- and they're important!

The DEFAULT CHOICE is that you'll be paid in cash -- BUT!!! You'll pay 21% withholding to the SPANISH GOVERNMENT... (which is what I do)

OR

You can choose to receive SHARES with NO withholding.

Those of you not living off your dividends should be choosing to get SHARES rather than cash.

Just my opinion.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
A good article for 'Investing 102' this morning in Seeking Alpha.... I love having the internet in airplanes now! I can get all kinds of reading done!

This article - for me - is one of reinforcement about what happens when the SHARE PRICE rises over time -- and the stock pays a dividend.... and if that dividend rises over time and just stays at 3 or 4% of the CURRENT share price... you actual dividend yield could be far higher based on YOUR COST BASIS.

What a marvelous way to make money!

When I read articles like this -- I don't so much look at the stock it might be discussing..... but rather - look at the principles it might be discussing as they can apply to ANY stock.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/5013...g_income&ifp=0
This took some time to grasp. I got it before the article, but it took some contemplation of what my portfolio might look like in 10-15 years and what my yields might be at that point. Really can add up, and at age 32 I'm hoping it does!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
So --- Anyone that has this stock -- BANCO SANTANDER (STD) in their accounts --- should receive a notice on HOW YOU WANT TO RECEIVE YOUR DIVIDEND...

You'll have three choices -- and they're important!

The DEFAULT CHOICE is that you'll be paid in cash -- BUT!!! You'll pay 21% withholding to the SPANISH GOVERNMENT... (which is what I do)

OR

You can choose to receive SHARES with NO withholding.

Those of you not living off your dividends should be choosing to get SHARES rather than cash.

Just my opinion.

Got my form yesterday. Will be taking care of business ASAP and collecting more shares!!!

1968 Pontiac Firebird
1989 Ford Mustang
Old 04-17-2012, 08:06 PM

Read a headline stating Warren Buffet reveals he has prostate cancer, what are your thoughts on how this will affect the market? Will a panic ensue for all those investors that follow his every move?
Old 04-17-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRCRFT78 View Post
Read a headline stating Warren Buffet reveals he has prostate cancer, what are your thoughts on how this will affect the market? Will a panic ensue for all those investors that follow his every move?
Good question Jose...

My take on it would be that anyone that is investing in Berkshire would have to wake up every morning they held the shares and ask themselves... "is this the day the headline reads Buffet died".

When you see what happened to Apple after Steve Jobs passing.... (it's gone straight up)... then you have to question "conventional wisdom" when you'd be certain the stock would tank.

The world seems to be more willing to shake off events like this and keep on truckin'

I think that most investors - the ones that move the markets - which is not individual investors, it's institutional investors - realize that these people aren't running the day to day businesses.... they're figureheads... and there's lots and lots of really good smart people still at the helm.

Although -- there are just as many cases where the CEO has left and the stock has never recovered from it -- GE being one I can think of... when Jack Welch retired. Citigroup being another. And watch out below if you're a JP Morgan owner and Jamie Dimon ever leaves.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Preferred Shares

So here's something we really haven't discussed much -- mostly because of the "102" preference of keeping things simple...
But several people have asked in PM's etc about different stocks/bonds/interest bearing vehicles etc.

So here's a look at a PREFERRED STOCK I own as an example.

Here's a dividend -- not interest (big difference in the tax rate) -- on a PREFERRED stock that I have in U.S. Bank (USB) Note the "+L" after USB. In Schwab, that's it's symbol. Since there are several, or can be, several preferred's issued they tack on an "A" or "L" etc. Preferred's carry a fixed "interest rate" but is paid as a dividend. It's paid as a fixed rate - thus the notation of the rate. Really - preferred's are a hybrid of a bond and a stock. You'd buy these kinds of investments when you're looking for an "above average" dividend - you don't want "interest" - and you're not looking for much growth in capital. The growth in capital is constrained by the rate the preferred pays. They carry a due date like a bond - where the issuer is going to pay "X" for them. They are also "callable" (most of the time) which means that if the rate being paid is too high - the issuer can call them in and "retire" them. So that generally tends to put a cap on the price.

I'm not sure I'd buy these inside an IRA unless you're creeping up on retirement and want some safety and a higher yield.... if you're say -- under 60... I'd stick with capital appreciation and dividend for the total return. But wanted to just show these various ways to earn a dividend. My holdings are NOT in any retirement accounts (I don't need retirement accounts - I'm already retired! ) so I like the higher cash flow some of this type of stuff gives me.

04/16/2012 USB+L US BANCORP 7.875% PFD DEP SHS REP 1/1000 PFD D
type: QUALIFIED DIV
$3,483.62
Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 AM

I was checking my home made mutual fund that i started creating on 2/1/12.
Started with a paltry 4k, not much i know, but as of today its up $625 with a 16.5% return. Not bad to me for not doing anything. I just need more money now.
With thanks to Greg for getting us thinking and DOING something instead of just thinking about it.

Last edited by hifi875; 04-18-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Fantastic!

Making money on your money -- that's what this thread is all about.

BTW -- NOBODY starts with a large pile.... you have to start somewhere... and just getting started is the best thing you can do!
Old 04-18-2012, 11:00 AM

Here's another "thought" about investing....

If you want to see what MAKING A PILE OF MONEY IN "Dividends/Interest" looks like --- IF any of you OWE money on your VISA/MASTERCARD.... just look at what they 'make' every month on what you owe.....

YOU should be making that -- not them!!

BE THE BANK --- Don't owe the bank.