Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 11-06-2013, 12:10 PM

Default LSA Crate engine

I know a few guys have used this motor, I am suprised I have not seen more. For the price it seems like a great choice and something that has the potential to make a ton of power. what are you thoughts, is it a much harder swap than a LS3?
thanks
Old 11-06-2013, 04:38 PM

the price you are seeing probably doesn't include the cost of the accessory drive,heat exchanger water pump and the heat exchanger if its the $12000 unit. figure adding another 2-3k on top of that for a front runner system and needed components.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:24 AM

I been doing research on the LSA...as there been any reported problems when boosting up the HP...
Old 11-08-2013, 05:52 PM

There is always a need for more horsepower but this engine pulls hard from the bottom and runs great in stock form. I think this is the best bang for the buck in the crate engine. It's 100hp short of the LS9 for half the cost. Bracket system and ECU from GM are all very reasonable.

Rodger
Old 11-08-2013, 06:59 PM

Do you know what guys did with there LSA to get the 700-800hp...I would be happy with the stock power but I would be really really happy at 700-800hp...but only if i can do it without blowing up the engine and min mods i saw them saying that changed the pulley and instant 800hp...how true is this? Hey and thanks for the insight...Im looking at the package deal on jegs for the LSA/transmission combo...
Old 11-08-2013, 09:27 PM

Cool

Lingenfelter sells a package.its more then a dampener to get 800hp.

Buy the engine from Fairway Chevrolet in Las Vegas. Ask for Jason in parts, tell him I told ya.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:47 PM

The LSA is a great motor. From what I can tell (if you trust the interwebs) a cam/pulley and fuel system to support it will have you'll be in the vicinity of the power being talked about (not that we really need it).

I was going to go the N/A LS3 route and FI later, but have decided for the relatively small amount of extra dollars in now an LSA will pay dividends later. I've got to fabricate a firewall/cowl, headers/exhaust, build a fuel system, cooling stack set-up, custom dry sump drive, wire in an ECU/tune...might as well only do it once.

The guys making 700-800 in their CTSV's look to be in street cars/weekend drag type things so I wouldn't expect it to last on a road course at that level. I'm planning on running a more modest power level close to stock but will be working it a bit harder on track. If it pops it's a good excuse for an ERL short block.

You could always run one of these pulley hubs an have a high/low boost set-up (turbo guys would laugh at you on the side of the road with an allen wrench though)

http://d3groupinc.com/d3-pulley-kits/

Crate Engine Depot has it at $10,795 but as far as I can tell this doesn't include the twin plate clutch which I've seen some others do/did. Either way it sounds like Fairway would look after you too.
335 square 68 El Camino

Last edited by Simmo; 11-13-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:10 PM

My next problem would be how to get 800hp with an automatic transmission... but the Lingenfelter package sounds to expensive...maybe I was misled the guy with the 68 convertible camaro on big muscle said he changed the pulley and polished the supercharger and he was pushing 800hp--648rwhp 650tq...maybe he was wrong...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0asSuSBNO0
Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 AM

Yeah 640hp to the wheels on a 275. 800hp with a smaller pulley on the blower.

The blower pulley is pressed on the blower you have to put a larger dampener to change the ratio. I'm gonna say the story is enhanced.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankc31 View Post
My next problem would be how to get 800hp with an automatic transmission...

800ft/torque with automatic transmission is a Bowler transmission, but again it is costly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seankc31 View Post
but the Lingenfelter package sounds to expensive...maybe I was misled the guy with the 68 convertible camaro on big muscle said he changed the pulley and polished the supercharger and he was pushing 800hp--648rwhp 650tq...maybe he was wrong...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0asSuSBNO0
The youtube article is BS! My LS3 418 with the Harrop TVS 2300 Dynoed around 700 hp and 800 ft/lbs of torque and I was at 15 psi. To get in the 800 horsepower range, then it takes an LS7 block. Similar to what Stielow has in his.

The LSA or LS9 superchargers are positive displacement, so polishing the inside of the supercharger won't increase the horsepower of the engine. Source is Brian Thompson of Thomson Automotive. The LSA features the smaller supercharger, it is called the TVS 1900. While the LS9 has the TVS 2300 is bigger in displacement. The weak part of the LSA engine is that it uses cast pistons and powder metal rods. The rods are good for around 600hp, but if you push the engine to 800hp. Then you need a good US made forged rod. forged pistons, forged crank,etc.

The cost factor for the LSA is rather low, but if you plan to build an 800 hp supercharged engine, then build a custom engine with 800HP as the goal. It is more costly, but it can't be done with the LSA engine.

Jeff