Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 02-08-2014, 02:57 PM

Default LS Swap headers

I just posted this on Pro-Touring, but I figured the more answers I get, the better, so here's a re-post...

I have a cheap set of eBay headers I used on my '67 Camaro last year. I think the flanges are warped causing exhaust leaks, and I'm in the market for a new set of headers. I'd love to be in the $5-600 range.

I liked the idea of the new Hooker headers, but I'm not willing to swap out my almost new Holley oil pan (1st version) or my engine mounts/trans x-member. The Hooker/Holley stuff looks great, but they came out with it a year too late for me, so I'm looking at other brands.

Has anyone used the stainless steel LS headers from Texas speed in a 1st gen Camaro here? https://www.texas-speed.com/p-4273-t...1967-1969.aspx

Looking for pics of PS box clearance as well as how low they hang or how tight they tuck in relation to the subframe. Thanks.

----------------------------

FWIW, I have looked at the Dynatech headers I have heard they have great steering box clearance, but I have also heard they hang down too low.

I know Doug's makes a decent set of headers, and would be interested in seeing how those fit on a 1st gen if anyone has pics.

I'm open to other suggestions, but I'm not looking to pay a grand or more right now.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Don't have any experience with them but would like to hear from someone who has used them. Alot cheaper than Stainless Works if quality and fitment is good.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:21 PM

Default Tech Specs

Here are some details on the Dynatech Headers. Like any header brand, you must use the correct engine mounts, have the correct engine drive line angle, etc. It plays a huge role in how low the collectors hang, etc.
The link below will help you decide if your combination will work with these headers. As you can see in the link, the flange (at the head) and the bottom of the tubes and collector, do not run parallel, hence the headers are designed for the engine to be at an angle while the collectors run parallel with the sub frame.
These are in the $600.00 range.

FYI
I have seen some transmission combinations that force the customer to either replace the trans tunnel with a raised one, or live with a 5.5 degree engine drive line angle. In these cases the transmission is touching the trans. tunnel and the transmission is as high as it can go. Typically every degree of angle the engine gets tilted, it moves the collectors about 3/8" up or down. If you have an increased drive line angle, you may see low hanging collectors as a result.
Hope this helps.

http://afabcorp.com/Dynatech/lit/Dynatech_LSXCamaro.pdf

Best of Luck with your swap.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:30 PM

Some great info there. Much appreciated!!!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPALA MAN View Post
Here are some details on the Dynatech Headers. Like any header brand, you must use the correct engine mounts, have the correct engine drive line angle, etc. It plays a huge role in how low the collectors hang, etc.
The link below will help you decide if your combination will work with these headers. As you can see in the link, the flange (at the head) and the bottom of the tubes and collector, do not run parallel, hence the headers are designed for the engine to be at an angle while the collectors run parallel with the sub frame.

FYI
I have seen some transmission combinations that force the customer to either replace the trans tunnel with a raised one, or live with a 5.5 degree engine drive line angle. In these cases the transmission is touching the trans. tunnel and the transmission is as high as it can go. Typically every degree of angle the engine gets tilted, it moves the collectors about 3/8" up or down. If you have an increased drive line angle, you may see low hanging collectors as a result.
Hope this helps.

http://afabcorp.com/Dynatech/lit/Dynatech_LSXCamaro.pdf

Best of Luck with your swap.
Thanks IMPALA MAN, those are helpful measurements.

I was able to get to 4* down on the trans before the driver's side exhaust pipe hit the trans x-member. I should be able to achieve 3* down once the exhaust is re-worked. The floors in my car were replaced before I bought it, and I think that gave me a little extra clearance.

FWIW, I have the tall & narrow frame mounts, Energy Suspension motor mounts, Dirty Dingo Sliders and BMR T56 adjustable trans x-member with an '04 GTO T56.

My cheapo eBay headers don't hang down too low. Maybe about 1/2 of the bottom tube on the collector sits below the subframe. It's just that they don't seal well, even with the GM manifold gaskets, and I had to dimple the pipes in 3 places to get them to fit around the PS box.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:40 AM

67 Rally,
Why don't you list which motor mounts ( both original and LS style swap mounts) oil pan, and power steering you have on the car. After we have all the info, we can help with what might fit better than what you currently have.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr View Post
67 Rally,
Why don't you list which motor mounts ( both original and LS style swap mounts) oil pan, and power steering you have on the car. After we have all the info, we can help with what might fit better than what you currently have.
Sorry, It's kind of scattered throughout this post, but I also a asked similar question on other forums and may have put more info there.

Frame Mounts: 3945507 & 3945508 (1969 350 and Z/28 tall & narrow)
Motor Mounts: Energy Suspension 3.1117G (tall & narrow)
Engine Plates: Dirty Dingo DD-Slider SBC to LS Conversion Engine Mounts
Oil Pan: Holley 302-1 GM LS Retro-fit Oil Pan
Trans X-Member: BMR TCC005 T56 Transmission Crossmember
PS Box: Delphi 670 PS Box (26088654)
Old 02-10-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
I just posted this on Pro-Touring, but I figured the more answers I get, the better, so here's a re-post...

I have a cheap set of eBay headers I used on my '67 Camaro last year. I think the flanges are warped causing exhaust leaks, and I'm in the market for a new set of headers. I'd love to be in the $5-600 range.

I liked the idea of the new Hooker headers, but I'm not willing to swap out my almost new Holley oil pan (1st version) or my engine mounts/trans x-member. The Hooker/Holley stuff looks great, but they came out with it a year too late for me, so I'm looking at other brands.

Has anyone used the stainless steel LS headers from Texas speed in a 1st gen Camaro here? https://www.texas-speed.com/p-4273-t...1967-1969.aspx

Looking for pics of PS box clearance as well as how low they hang or how tight they tuck in relation to the subframe. Thanks.
I've been eyeing up the Texas Speed ones myself. I called them last week to try to get an installed picture but suposedly the guy who did the test fitting (and had is pix on his personal computer) was in Qatar or someplace. They were going to email him and ask for the pix but haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm going to give them another call this week and maybe you should too. If two of us are bugging them maybe they'll get the pictures.

On another note, can you have a local machine shop reface the flanges and clean them up so they are flat?
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread
Old 02-11-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi View Post
I've been eyeing up the Texas Speed ones myself. I called them last week to try to get an installed picture but suposedly the guy who did the test fitting (and had is pix on his personal computer) was in Qatar or someplace. They were going to email him and ask for the pix but haven't gotten back to me yet. I'm going to give them another call this week and maybe you should too. If two of us are bugging them maybe they'll get the pictures.

On another note, can you have a local machine shop reface the flanges and clean them up so they are flat?
Qatar? More like Shenzein China from the looks of them! American Racing, Stainlessworks, Dynatech would be my first choices. Looking at the collectors alone....I wouldn't use these on a build of mine.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid LT1 View Post
Qatar? More like Shenzein China from the looks of them! American Racing, Stainlessworks, Dynatech would be my first choices. Looking at the collectors alone....I wouldn't use these on a build of mine.
The question I keep asking myself after researching all the different headers and mount combinations is:

Do I want to spend a house payment on headers that probably won't fit as advertised and have to be modified anyway or do I spend $400 instead on a set with lowered expectations, planning to make them fit?

That $400 set sounds pretty good.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread