Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
Blake, those look great! More money than I really want to spend right now with all the other projects going on. But do you have pics of how they fit around the PS box?
No I don't. but I think the closest tube was over an 1" away, sorry you'll have to take my word for it. sorry.
you certainly wont need your HAMMER to install them
Old 02-12-2014, 09:22 PM

Blake, price is ok with me as long as I dont have to fight it. Any ideas if a tru-turn system causes any problems??
Old 02-13-2014, 09:43 AM

$900!

A house payment + property taxes for a month.

Why are headers so expensive? The only reason I can think of is the welding. That's crap though too because you don't get much of a discount (if any) if you by them unwelded. For the usually meager performance gains, headers seem to be the worst value out of anything you can bold on your engine besides dress-up pretty bits. Unfortunately, most manifolds won't work on a 1st gen so we are forced to buy headers.

If someone came up with a header design as that fits as nicely as those Speedtech ones appear to and put a reasonable price on them, they'd corner the market and make their money back in droves. Unfortunately, it seems that the manufacturers that have the best fitting units charge huge money for them and the ones that are more reasonably priced don't bother to make theirs fit any better which would put the more expensive ones out of the market. Makes no sense to me.

I'll stop ranting now.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread
Old 02-13-2014, 03:36 PM

Lol!! I hear what you are saying. Unfortunately there is very little we can do on these cars on the cheap. You wouldnt think to upgrade the stock subframe would cost more than the car was new but it is. The thing is we love these cars and would beg, borrow, steal or kill to improve them and that drives the market. I would still rather put $70k into my 69 than buy a new one for. $40k so I bite he bullet and burn the reciepts.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:44 PM

Ultimate Headers may be another alternative. They are shorty style stainless headers. I believe several Lat-G members have used them on their builds. They have a pic on their website stating Mark Stielow is using them on his current project.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:02 PM

Here is a pic of the Dynatech headers and DSE600 steering box. Plenty of clearance. Used DSE mounts. I'm pretty sure it is a 3* trans angle.

Name:  LSX454 Installed#1.jpeg
Views: 224
Size:  198.4 KB

Here is a pic from underneath. I don't have a side view yet but they are tucked up pretty tight.
Name:  LSX454 exhaust fitted#1.jpeg
Views: 220
Size:  99.2 KB

1973 Trans Am "KLRBRD"
1969 Camaro SOLD
2014 Stingray Z51 SOLD

Old 02-14-2014, 08:03 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

That's what strange thing I've noticed with Dynatech headers. Some people seem to have great clearance with the headers tuck up nice and tight. Then we have some people (myself included) have issues with them hanging too low.

I wondered if I have the wrong DSE mount, so I checked the p/n with the packing slip and they match.

Not sure what the deal is I'll probably get a set of mid lengths and be done with it.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:05 AM

Is it really just normal for these cars to all have the headers hanging down that low?

1970 Camaro - hardmounted jackstands and flash rusted steel hopes and dreams.
Old 02-14-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaw View Post
That's what strange thing I've noticed with Dynatech headers. Some people seem to have great clearance with the headers tuck up nice and tight. Then we have some people (myself included) have issues with them hanging too low.

I wondered if I have the wrong DSE mount, so I checked the p/n with the packing slip and they match.

Not sure what the deal is I'll probably get a set of mid lengths and be done with it.
Make sure you are using correct frame stands. There a 2 for SBC. Once for 307 engines and another for 302/350. This would have an effect on clearance around steering components.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Hilliard View Post
Make sure you are using correct frame stands. There a 2 for SBC. Once for 307 engines and another for 302/350. This would have an effect on clearance around steering components.
I'm using the DSE motor mounts set, which included the frame stands/adapter plates/Prothane motor mounts. The DSE motor mount is the one recommended by Dynatech. I have no idea whether they're for SBC or BBC. The tech I talked to back then did not know either. All he said was they build the frame stands in house.

My issue is not clearance around steering components. It's the ground clearance. The OP (67rally) has issue with steering box clearance and he's thinking about Dynatech headers, which he may run into the same issue I'm having.