Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 10-05-2015, 07:11 PM

I wasn't sure if their kit worked with a stock subframe or just one of theirs? I've also been looking for some other threads where people were discussing some of the issues with certain tunnel mods, but i can't figure out which forum I read this in and i don't remember which they had the best luck with once everything was finished. I don't mind modifying my tunnel, but I want to make sure I get the proper driveline angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
Speedtech make a complete kit to make this a very simple deal.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

With a stock sub you will need to

#1 Cut approx 8" wide by 20" long hole in the tunnel from about 3" behind the shifter. Then lift the tranny at the crossmember to the proper angle. Build a sheet metal box as needed to cover the hole and cut out the hole for the shifter.

#2 Raise the top of the tunnel by cutting the vertical sides just below the radius and once new height is determined weld in a strip of metal on each side and boxing the ends.

#3 Skip all the crap and buy a pre-made fabbed tunnel plate.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:55 PM

The Hooker system of motor mounts and cross member were a breeze to install and I didn't have to make a single dimple to the tunnel and had 3 degrees of angle to my LS3- T56 after installation.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativefx View Post
I wasn't sure if their kit worked with a stock subframe or just one of theirs? I've also been looking for some other threads where people were discussing some of the issues with certain tunnel mods, but i can't figure out which forum I read this in and i don't remember which they had the best luck with once everything was finished. I don't mind modifying my tunnel, but I want to make sure I get the proper driveline angle.
Works with stock frame. Just installed their engine mounts and crossmember with a GTO 6 speed, no tunnel mods. If you have a Magnum you will have to use their tunnel box.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:55 PM

i had to use the chassis works tunnel cap with my t56 magnum. If you are in this stage my opinion is to buy this for $100 and install it. I would rather have the extra room now just in case something changes in the future. Cheap insurance. The crossmember has nothing to do with tunnel clearance. Trans and engine angle and position all do. as far as shifter access goes buy brian finch billet shifter ring.
DSE subframe
ls3
t56 magnum
Car is very low

Last edited by randy; 10-05-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 10:00 PM

Speedtech didn't have their cover on the market when I was installing my T56 Mag, I made my own cover that bolts in so I have access to the shifter if needed.....and I've needed it a couple times.

I would have bought the Speedtech unit in a heartbeat if it was available, though I would have modified it to have access to the shifter.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:03 AM

Do you have a T56 Magnum, or a regular T56? I'm interested in looking at the Hooker system as well, but haven't been able to confirm if I can get the proper clearance and angle with their setup. If I remember right, the headers would also need to be modified to make room at the steering box? Not a deal breaker, but want to make sure I look at all my options.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwdvm View Post
The Hooker system of motor mounts and cross member were a breeze to install and I didn't have to make a single dimple to the tunnel and had 3 degrees of angle to my LS3- T56 after installation.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:05 AM

Haha, yeah Vega$69 I'm hoping to get confirmation I can go with #3 and get all the necessary components to go in correctly!

thanks for all your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
With a stock sub you will need to

#1 Cut approx 8" wide by 20" long hole in the tunnel from about 3" behind the shifter. Then lift the tranny at the crossmember to the proper angle. Build a sheet metal box as needed to cover the hole and cut out the hole for the shifter.

#2 Raise the top of the tunnel by cutting the vertical sides just below the radius and once new height is determined weld in a strip of metal on each side and boxing the ends.

#3 Skip all the crap and buy a pre-made fabbed tunnel plate.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:09 AM

With their engine mounts and crossmember I'm assuming the pre-fabbed tunnel would work. Did you have any issues with getting the carpet to fit due to the shape of the tunnel cover? I have a one piece carpet kit to install once i'm ready. I've had someone tell me they had to send the x member back because it didn't provide the correct angle for his Magnum. My installation does include a T56 Magnum so i'm almost certain a tunnel mod is necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz View Post
Works with stock frame. Just installed their engine mounts and crossmember with a GTO 6 speed, no tunnel mods. If you have a Magnum you will have to use their tunnel box.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:16 AM

I'm almost certain with the Magnum I will need to modify the tunnel, which isn't a problem. How did you like the Chassisworks option and did everything go okay with installing it? What about getting your carpet to fit once it was installed? I realize the x member and engine mounts will dictate the driveline angle, but I want to make sure the correct tunnel mod is done to give me any room I need to adjust. From what i can tell, there are some differences in getting the right x member depending on the subframe your using?

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy View Post
i had to use the chassis works tunnel cap with my t56 magnum. If you are in this stage my opinion is to buy this for $100 and install it. I would rather have the extra room now just in case something changes in the future. Cheap insurance. The crossmember has nothing to do with tunnel clearance. Trans and engine angle and position all do. as far as shifter access goes buy brian finch billet shifter ring.
DSE subframe
ls3
t56 magnum
Car is very low