Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 07-23-2019, 10:02 AM

Headed up to Radwood last weekend. Good times, some killer cars and wonderful outfits.....Kristi was far more interested in the clothes and music, me the cars.

Heading up to GoodGuys this weekend for their Puyallup show.

The Following User Says Thank You to hackster For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (08-15-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 10:05 AM

Some killer cars. Clearly I have a style of car I like....super clean, modified and a nice mellow stance.
The Following User Says Thank You to hackster For This Useful Post:
glassman (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 07:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Looks like an awesome show! I see a whole bunch of neat cars in the pics.
Thanks for sharing!!

Jeff-
Old 07-23-2019, 08:03 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Yeh, really nice show. Super clean cars, love the diversity.
I have not been to a show like this in the Bay Area. (Maybe there out driving them )
Old 08-15-2019, 09:45 AM

Has been a while since the last update. Took the car up to goodguys a few weeks back and hung out with some great friends old and new. Some killer stuff there mostly hot rods but a few crusty cars and a few killer pro touring cars. Really hoping that they add an autocross to the event so there is something a little more active to do there. Didnt take too many photos.

Couple updates. Car was still smelling of fuel so I popped the access door and found the fuel pump not very tight in the tank still even though the hardware was all tight.

Its a Holley 12-133 in case anyone ever runs into this situation. I didnt take any photos but the problem is the hardware to tighten leaves greater than an 1/8" gap, with the thickness of the fuel tank being just sheetmetal and their foam gasket collapsing to less than 1/16" it left a lot of room in there. I hand cut 2-1/8" Cork gaskets and stacked them up and buttoned things up. I believe I have a pretty good seal on things now and the garage doesnt stink as bad as it had. Ill keep an eye on it moving forward.

This has been a big annoyance since I got the car together of it always smelling like fuel.

The other thing I have been fighting is a front end shake above 56 mph. never below it. I have had the frontend apart several times, the last round I pulled the brakes apart and measured runout on everypart that spins with everything being less than .005" I didnt feel like I had anything bad going on that would cause the issue.

Front tires were my next problem. A they were shot from all the track days and autocross.
B. I was starting to believe they were the culprit of the vibe.

I mentioned it to my guys over at 503 Motoring and they took the time to check the old tire before pulling it off and found it had pretty excessive runout on one tire. They hooked me up and got the tires on and balanced as soon as they showed up.

Got them mounted up and took it for a test drive and 95% of my vibrations are gone.....note that I feel any vibration in any car. Both my 18 Ram and Trackhawk have vibrations so I consider this an epic win!!!

New sticky RE71r's mounted up for Fridays track day at PIR with Cascade Sports Car Club should be fun. Forecast is 80 and sunny.

Have been having a little fun where I can fit it in.

Also been doing tons of yardwork on the lot we picked up so that has taken some time too.

Thinking about building another cummins truck this fall.....or possibly a 2 door JK Pickup.

The ideas never stop in my little pea brain.

Happy Thursday

Sean
Old 08-16-2019, 04:25 PM

I hate how lazy your posts make me feel, Sean (this is because of my laziness, especially when it's 105 outside). That said, the Jeep stuff is awesome. What does that thing use for springs? Did you build the chassis?
Old 08-16-2019, 05:39 PM

I want that buggy!!!

Hope that fixes your fuel smell issues...
Old 08-19-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
I hate how lazy your posts make me feel, Sean (this is because of my laziness, especially when it's 105 outside). That said, the Jeep stuff is awesome. What does that thing use for springs? Did you build the chassis?
I have been pretty lazy lately though....It uses old ass fox 2.0 airshocks. They work really good for Rocks but not ideal for lots of go fast stuff.

I bought it 15 years ago. But I have rolled it and rebuilt the chassis 3 times so Ill take the credit for it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
I want that buggy!!!

Hope that fixes your fuel smell issues...
Yeah its a good time, its old now compared to all my friends new fancy LS buggies. Didnt fix the smell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
If there was a poll, I'd vote for living vicariously through a TJ AEV Brute build, but that's just me. Build a nasty turbo 4.0L for it and make it a manual please; k thankx.

That's encouraging to see you're working out some of the remaining issues on the 242 - the build definitely continues to provide inspiration for the rest of us.
I love TJ's. Until I drove a JK for around town there is no comparison, more room, better engine (I know the purist hate me for liking the minivan engine) and better driving. Now for a wheeler, in a heartbeat TJ.

As a graduation present I bought my 18 year old nephew his very own track day, in his own car with his own Instructor. His folks are not car people so its all on me to make sure that he gets a car fill!! He loves spending time with us so this was an awesome day.

Cascade Sports Car Club Track day at PIR. Weather was awesome, great group.

Nephew learned a lot and had a blast.

He had the slowest car on track but did a great job. Had an excellent instructor and learned more than a thing or two.

I participated as well. Had an awesome day, other than still fuel system issues and leaks the car is pretty damn dialed in. Had fun running SOLO in the Advanced group. Two guys I got to spend some time with on track were a 2017 GT350 and a C7 grand sport with a small centrifugal supercharger on it. I think it was a Vortech setup. We had a blast. The c7 had just enough mustard to get past me late in the day. He could pull me by like a car or so on the straights. He was dynod at 570 wheel so that makes me feel pretty good. The GT350 couldnt get around me, He could close the gap a little on the straights (Mostly in the braking zone) but I would leave him on corner exits and through the turns.

I helped the Vette guy with some lines and entry speed and he dropped some times off his laps by the end of the day. The folks in my run group were shocked at how fast and composed the car was......to be honest its the fastest I have been around PIR ever and I was a little surprised how well it did.

Definitely looks good dirty.

Drove to cars and coffee, some errands, bought a bunch of stereo gear and cleaned out the glovebox to get ready for stereo install.

This is just a fraction of events I have done or attended since I got this **** box done. This thing was built to be beat on and have fun. I have had my fair share of little issues but its been an absolute blast this summer.

Started the stereo install last night. Overly complicated but it should be awesome.

Sean
Old 08-20-2019, 09:30 AM

Sean, at what point do you bail on all the existing fuel lines and make all new from scratch?

The fuel delivery problems\issues were by far the hardest part of the decision making I went thru on my recent EFI conversion. I can say that I'm very happy I choose the route I did. It is basically a Vaporworx kit that morphs an internally regulated late model Gen 5 Camaro fuel module into my stock tank with 2 corner pickups and one -6 PTFE braided steel feed line to the fuel rail. That's it...

Provides a steady 58 psi to the rail, no return line, minimal hose end fittings for issues, super simple but effective.

That and a way to vent the tank to a charcoal canister should take care of any fuel smell issues no?
The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
hackster (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
Sean, at what point do you bail on all the existing fuel lines and make all new from scratch?

The fuel delivery problems\issues were by far the hardest part of the decision making I went thru on my recent EFI conversion. I can say that I'm very happy I choose the route I did. It is basically a Vaporworx kit that morphs an internally regulated late model Gen 5 Camaro fuel module into my stock tank with 2 corner pickups and one -6 PTFE braided steel feed line to the fuel rail. That's it...

Provides a steady 58 psi to the rail, no return line, minimal hose end fittings for issues, super simple but effective.

That and a way to vent the tank to a charcoal canister should take care of any fuel smell issues no?
This is the ****ed up part Lance.

Its exatly what I have. Single in tank HOLLEY Pump that is regulated to 60 PSI. I have one outlet from the tank to a single -6 line (Not stock) that runs to the fuel rails. I have issues with the actual Holley Hardware leaking at the tank. They are supposedly sending me parts to fix but I am not holding my breath.

I believe I am leaking fuel from my vent line (Which also goes into a charcoal canister) Its a little complicated to explain but I am just not understanding how people get vent lines to work without losing fuel somehow.

If there is someone on here that has experience with an underfloor mounted stock style fuel tank and vent system that does track days and isnt leaking fuel I am all ears.

Sean