Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 04-18-2017, 11:59 AM

Default Rear End width

Looking for some input for rear end width for by 70 Camaro. Car will be mini-tubbed and Quadralink installed. Going with a Moser 9" housing....do not have my wheels picked out yet (a long way from that), but I am getting the suspension sorted out. Detroit speed says they run a 18"x12" /5.5" BS rim with a rear-end measurement of 56.250" (axle flange to axle flange). I'll be running a 335 rear tire width.

I realize that the combinations are endless on wheel/BS choices...... Any members have any experience with these dimensions from DSE??

Last edited by DKz Garage; 04-18-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-19-2017, 10:06 PM

Axle flange can be a rather ambiguous term and can mean different things to different people. For sake of clarity, we generally refer to the Wheel Mount Surface or WMS to WMS as the rear end width measurement where the wheel actually mounts on the axle. Every build is going to be unique and those dimensions may or may not fit your car.

That said, I'm running 18x12 335s with a 5.5" backspace on a 57" WMS to WMS rear end width in my 68. If I'm not mistaken the 2nd gen rear end is wider than the 1st gen. If that is the case my ciphering indicates a 56.25 WMS to WMS rear will be too narrow for a 2nd gen.
Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!
"Jeremy Clarkson"
Old 06-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
Axle flange can be a rather ambiguous term and can mean different things to different people. For sake of clarity, we generally refer to the Wheel Mount Surface or WMS to WMS as the rear end width measurement where the wheel actually mounts on the axle. Every build is going to be unique and those dimensions may or may not fit your car.

That said, I'm running 18x12 335s with a 5.5" backspace on a 57" WMS to WMS rear end width in my 68. If I'm not mistaken the 2nd gen rear end is wider than the 1st gen. If that is the case my ciphering indicates a 56.25 WMS to WMS rear will be too narrow for a 2nd gen.

Agreed! to prove it, I have a 69 Camaro with 18x12's and 335's with 5.5bs on a 55.5" wms to wms.

The difference is in the "pad"
Old 06-08-2017, 10:18 PM
Supporting Vendor

If you head to our site: http://www.schwartzperformance.com/p...eted-projects/

Scroll around and check out the 2nd gens there. All of them have a 58" wheel to wheel dimension, so you can see the dish of the wheels. Personally I think the 58" is the way to go, but that's less than an inch difference per side with what DSE recommended.

-Dale
GMachineChassis.com
LSxEngines.com
Facebook | Instagram | YouTube
Old 08-03-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwartz Perf View Post
If you head to our site: http://www.schwartzperformance.com/p...eted-projects/

Scroll around and check out the 2nd gens there. All of them have a 58" wheel to wheel dimension, so you can see the dish of the wheels. Personally I think the 58" is the way to go, but that's less than an inch difference per side with what DSE recommended.

-Dale
I know this post is old, but for archive sake. I have a 56.250” rear built by DSE, with 18x12 with 5.5” BS.