Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 04-11-2008, 03:55 PM

Default Sick pooch and an addition to the pack...

Our 10 year old Whippet went in today for an MRI. Over the last 3-4 weeks we've noticed her back leg getting weaker and that she doesn't want to put any weight on it.

Went to the vet weeks ago. They give her metacam which is a anti-inflamitory since they thought maybe she pulled a muscle. Seemed to get a bit better then worse again. Go back in and then they do an x-ray and don't see anything. They give steroids for two weeks. No change.

They take more x-rays. nothing.. they send us to a neurologist and after an exam he orders and MRI. That was last week so we got her in first opening (today).

They found a golf ball sized tumor in her back hip area. Tomorrow our main vet will get the MRI scan and we will see what we can do. It sucks because other than that discomfort she is super perky and full of life. I know it's going to be expensive, but I don't care. She's family.

I'm sorta mad that the vet couldn't have found this sooner and I'm surprised it didn't show anything on exam or x-ray. She had a COMPLETE blood work and everything was perfect, so I don't think it's cancer.

Just sucks.. she is so loyal and sweet. Besides, I know she would do the same for me.

She just got back and woofed (pun?) down a bowl of rice and chicken.. Funny how us humans get so attached to another species..

Anyways, had to vent.

Athena.. the wonder dog...

Update:

The MRI showed a rather large and spreading tumor, most likely cancer. The surgery to MAYBE remove it would be to radical, we don't want to put her through that. It's also starting to mess with bone in the area and chest x-rays show possible leasions on the lungs. Not good

But, she is hungry and full of life so we are going to give a bit more time to run in the grass and enjoy the summer sun. Today she went for the first of 5 days of radiation treatment along with Chemo and a medication to strengthen the bone and stop any pain.

But this isn't a cure, it should drastically slow the growth of the tumor, decrease swelling and by her some time. Nobody should have to die when spring is just starting up. Hell, I get all teared up just typing this.

She is family and we took on the responsibility to keep her well, even when it's not convienent or cheap. I can go without a fancy new toolbox or a drywalled ceiling in my garage.

In happier news we added to the "pack" with another Whippet. We figure Athena can help train her to be a good canine and it will make things much easier on our younger dog Stryder.

Introducing Daisy (I named Athena, so my wife got to name this one. lol) -- I was pushing for Anubus but she nixed that idea.

Daisy and Stryder.. Daisy is about 4-months old...

See Bad Penny run the cones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GUPPIX-92U

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

1968 Camaro - Project Track Rat - 440 RHS LS
Old 04-11-2008, 04:42 PM

I got a tear reading it. Lisa and I were at lunch with our 2 kids, I mean dogs, today. While they were each sitting in their chairs at the table with us just waiting for us to hand them something, being perfect, (you can eat outdoors with your dogs I Florida) Lisa and I talked about how unfair it is they cannot live as long as we do and just go with us when we die. Our older is 8, the younger is 2. She was saying she does not know what she will do if / when one goes.

Sorry to hear the bad news. You can bring her to Florida with ya, we will puppy sit while your at the parks! She would have fun with Chia and Gizmo!
Old 04-11-2008, 08:18 PM

I feel your pain......our dog had to have both her rear knees redone at the age of 4 and the other at 5 and the vet bills were unreal but these little creatures become part of the family so we do what we gotta do!! Shes now 10 and still cruisin but her rear hips and knees are failing and its killing me .Our kids are 6 and 3 and Jacki is a huge part of their lives and it scares the crap out of me knowing that the fatefull day will come.Till then we will enjoy her company till shes leaves us for a better place!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:29 PM

Sorry to hear this Steve! Enjoy the time you have with her. Daisy looks full of energy!!

I've been threw this myself, it's never fun. I think you did the right thing by adding Daisy to the pack!
Old 04-12-2008, 06:17 PM

sorry to hear about your dog. hope all will be well. I know how hard it is when your dog is sick they truely are a part of the family. I dont think people who aren't dog people understand but they are like your kids and it's terrible when things happen.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:52 PM

Hey Steve
Sorry to hear about your dog. Its never easy to hear bad news.

Dont be upset that your original vet didnt find it earlier with the x-rays. Xrays can find some lesions but in reality alot of lesion have to be very advanced before you will ever see anything on a plain x-ray. They just arent that sensitive for alot of lesions in the area you describe. X-rays exams have limitations..... thats why people invented MRI and CT. If everything could be seen on a plain x-ray there wouldnt be a need for those types of tests.

Just enjoy the time you have left with her and keep her as pain free as possible.

I just had a patient today..... (you guys know the "DVM" part of my user name means Doctorate of Vet Med...right ??)..... 5 year old Boxer...fine this AM.......owner came home around 10 AM and dog was collapsed....brought him in ASAP.....belly full of blood....ultrasound of abdomen showed a huge tumor that had spread to multiple organs...wife had just flown out of town because her dad died yesterday......dad had to decide to euthanize the dog since there was nothing we could really offer this dog that wouldnt just prolong his suffering. Think your dog is fine one minute.....3 hours later you find out he has terminal cancer and is dying....... breaks your heart.

Enjoy the time you have left.....
Old 04-13-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRJDVM's '69 View Post
Hey Steve
Sorry to hear about your dog. Its never easy to hear bad news.

Dont be upset that your original vet didnt find it earlier with the x-rays. Xrays can find some lesions but in reality alot of lesion have to be very advanced before you will ever see anything on a plain x-ray. They just arent that sensitive for alot of lesions in the area you describe. X-rays exams have limitations..... thats why people invented MRI and CT. If everything could be seen on a plain x-ray there wouldnt be a need for those types of tests.

Just enjoy the time you have left with her and keep her as pain free as possible.

I just had a patient today..... (you guys know the "DVM" part of my user name means Doctorate of Vet Med...right ??)..... 5 year old Boxer...fine this AM.......owner came home around 10 AM and dog was collapsed....brought him in ASAP.....belly full of blood....ultrasound of abdomen showed a huge tumor that had spread to multiple organs...wife had just flown out of town because her dad died yesterday......dad had to decide to euthanize the dog since there was nothing we could really offer this dog that wouldnt just prolong his suffering. Think your dog is fine one minute.....3 hours later you find out he has terminal cancer and is dying....... breaks your heart.

Enjoy the time you have left.....
Thanks Ned.. I know I can't blame the regular vet, hindsight is just so 20/20. Just wish we would have gone to the MRI sooner. It's not like we wanted to go the "cheap route".

Anyways, today we all (myself, my wife and the three pooches) just goofed off in the backyard all afternoon. I looked over and Athena was dozing in the grass and just loving the sun. It made every dollar we've spent worth it.

We know this isn't a cure, but it's made her feel much more comfortable and she can lay down without trying to find just the right position. Dogs are so much tougher than people. They just suck it up.

The puppy is integrating with the family well and learning fast. Athena has already taught her how to use the dog door and the pecking order in regards to who gets fed first. lol

We really appreciate all the comments, it makes a tough situation easier.

1971 Chevelle Wagon - Roadster Shop Chassis ProCharged Shafiroff LS and lots of yada yada

Old 04-13-2008, 01:56 AM
Supporting Member

Steve:

Thanks for telling us about your great dog and friend. Yes, I was very, "moved", (See Tear) as you told you story.

My wife and I get very distressed when one of our Family members has to deal with these types of things.

I always get pissed at myself because I feel like such a puss for breaking down.

Your candidness, in this matter makes me realize that many people feel an incredible closeness to those who love us unconditionally.

Please keep us posted, and me and my wife will keep you, your family, and especially Athena in our thoughts.

Thanks and Hang in There,

Best Regards,

Ty O'Neal

BTW: getting another dog to learn from Athena and help soothe your sadness was a brilliant idea.
Ty O'Neal
"She Devil" aka. Betty
1969/70 Camaro SS
427 LS3, 600
Keisler Road and Track T-56
Full size 3 link and custom roll cage
315mm tires on rear, should fit the same on front. Worked to design a more effective shape.
======================
"Chester's '65"
1965 Buick Riviera
Aiming for true PT Status with
the best available from the 70's and 80's
======================
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 AM

Thanks Ty.. appreciated.

How can one not cry or be sad when a member of the family is sick and in her final stage of life. It's the hardest thing out there. I'm still trying to deal with eventually having to call a doctor to the house to have her put down. I don't know what's worse, sudden death or death that you see coming down the road to you. I haven't cried like this since I don't know when. Guess I'm just a mush.

But until that day we will just enjoy her presense and spoil her rotten. Here's how we spent our weekend... just laying around the backyard and goofing off. It was nice.