Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-19-2008, 10:17 AM

Well, running out of room quickly but I think this will have to do. Put the pedal assembly and foot box frames in the car, tried to make as much room as possible. This engine is so wide, my feet will be within 2"of the exhaust manifold . Now I still have to come up with a throttle pedal (cable type). Thats where all of you come in, show me your pics, need ideas to steal. Still searching for radiator and windshield.

Patrick
Old 10-19-2008, 10:19 AM

Well those who weren't afraid of the old sever knew that I put the throttle peadal in the car. So now I'm reposting the pics to keep the build thread up to date and complete.

Patrick
Old 10-19-2008, 10:20 AM

Well I've been busy mocking up some new found parts in the car. The radiator and fan have been added to the done list of things to do. the rad is an Allstar Performace 16X28 ford style two row. The fan is well, we'll see if anyone can figure it out. Thanks to all who helped with my info search this step turned out be on of the larger head scratchers.

I'm just going to keep plugging away at the list. Patrick
Old 10-19-2008, 10:21 AM

Well I've reached a pivotal point with this project. It is time to start the process of mounting the body(or at least the mounting points to the frame). Now this is fairly new ground for me fiberglass is a medium that I have little experience with so this will be lots of fun. So soon it will be time to trim the furry of my raw body and put to sleep all the remarks that the untrimmed body received.

Now for the photo junkies out there I've taken some new shots of the chassis at its current state. things that have been crossed off the list seatbelt mounts, battery tray, and finished the firewall bracing.

Now for the first of many questions what is the best way to trim the crappy edge on my body. I'm thinking rotozip but what bit? I don't have a clue. Also what is the best way to adhere metal to fiberglass(door, hood, trunk frames) like I said now I'm a complete rookie. Patrick
Old 10-19-2008, 10:23 AM

Well, we've made a huge milestone in forum history, over 10,000 hits that puts this thread on the leader board. Thanks for keeping interested, now let's get that reply number up.

Here's an update, Body has lost it's fur, finally got around to trimming that sucker it don't look half bad but she's going to need lots of work. Bird cage is 99% fabricated just a few braces left. New parts on done list coolant fill bottle, rear bumper mounts, and hood hinges. Now here's the gratuitous pics that we've all come to enjoy.

Patrick
Old 10-19-2008, 10:24 AM

Wow, nobody piped up with the teaser photo, well then here. In keeping with the overbuilt chassis concept we have door frames. They are as beefy as the rest of the chassis.

Now we'll see if there is something to say. Patrick
Old 10-19-2008, 10:30 AM

Well I've had problems with my build but this was like herding cats. standard swing hinges just didn't put the lid in a good spot given the location of the roll bar. So I came up with these I spent way to much time doing this.
Now they will need some final tuning but they should give me the desired effect.

So with that said I move on to the Hood.
Patrick
Old 10-19-2008, 10:31 AM

I think you should buy an alum body and junk the fiberglass.
Old 10-19-2008, 11:19 AM

Well cross hood hinges and latch off the list. This wasn't as difficult as the trunk as I found some usable (with modifications of course) hinges at the junkyard. and a tailgate latch from a wagon. I am still proud to say that I have not needed to use a GM piece in my build. Just need to make a Popper system to allow me to grab the hood to open it, after hitting the latch release.

Now I have three things left to do and the mock up will be complete, E-brake handle, brake and clutch reservoirs, and windshield. Patrick
Old 10-19-2008, 11:20 AM

Well I've got three pictures here can you guess what it signifies?

Now, I've officially ran out of major components to mount to the chassis. and will have to break this mock-up down and completely finish weld it and then make all the body mods, mounts, and fiberglass pieces fit. I will post up some pics of the chassis naked before break down. Patrick