Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 03-01-2012, 11:46 AM

Right.. i was just trying better understand the "comparison" process, so i could apply it to the rest of what i compare. I actually picked those two simply because of the article posted yesterday was talking about KO.

Thanks again for just letting me "spill out" my thought/reasoning process. LOL.

BTW, Greg... How's Bellevue doing? I was up there once as a kid (early 90's). My dads uncle was a VP or some sort of "higher up" at the Bellevue Square Mall. We went and stayed with him for a few days for a visit. Nice place up there.

My Toy... is actually a 1973 Camaro LT and a '09 HD Dyna.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
Edit... all in all, i am breaking the rule of investing 102.. im comparing "timing" of the buy, which isnt as important as JUST BUYING ONE. lol

Albert -- You are doing what this thread has been trying to get people to do... just compare -- think about them (any company) -- scale in if at all possible... and you're not really "timing" the market by seeing that a company may temporarily be down while the other is up... What you need to do when you see something like that is to try to figure out WHY that is so. Dig a little deeper... Google some news -- go back a bit and try to see if there was an "earnings miss" -- or a takeover of another company that has temporarily got the company off track... Try to FIND something that may explain the "issue". Some times you'll find nothing -- and sometimes you'll learn something that makes you like the company even more. In the end -- you're buying a piece of the company and the management - and the products they make.... and you need to feel good about that choice.

If 10 years from now -- you're only up 67% vs the other company up 85%... you really didn't make a "mistake"... and if during that 10 year period there was a point in which the companies were trading down -- and you held your position because you were comfortable owning it.. then that is what really matters.

We're preaching DIVERSITY as well here -- this is just ONE pick out of the 10 plus companies you're going to choose.... If you were at the horse races and you're picks finished 1st -- 3rd -- and 4th... you're still a winner.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy71camaro View Post
Right.. i was just trying better understand the "comparison" process, so i could apply it to the rest of what i compare. I actually picked those two simply because of the article posted yesterday was talking about KO.

Thanks again for just letting me "spill out" my thought/reasoning process. LOL.

BTW, Greg... How's Bellevue doing? I was up there once as a kid (early 90's). My dads uncle was a VP or some sort of "higher up" at the Bellevue Square Mall. We went and stayed with him for a few days for a visit. Nice place up there.
#1 -- You're doing exactly what these forums are designed to do... BS'n with people = like hanging out in the garage together!

Bellevue -- or as I like to call it -- BLAHview.... I've been here since 1984... I used to be able to see Mount Rainer from downtown -- that view has since been hidden behind all the high-rises! Bellevue Square has doubled or tripled and they now have a sky bridge going across the street to Lincoln Center... a whole 'nother shopping bunch of crap. Kemper Freeman Jr basically owns all of downtown... and he's done a real good job of developing it INHO.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM

ah, sorry you lost your view. lol.

I remember that mall was pretty snazzy. the "skywalk" sounds familiar. it's been so long since ive been there (was probably 12-13 at the time), have a hard time remember some things.

They were "very well off", and i remember my Aunt taking us and "showing us around town" lol.

Anywho, back to investing 102 i suppose

Old 03-01-2012, 12:39 PM

My next "research"... is to figure out the "diversity" aspect of all this.

ie. what sectors for stocks? what about bonds? and the other "options" (not familiar with any of this yet).

which ones to "play now" and which ones to "wait for a change (invest in the "play now group"), and play later", etc.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:02 PM

Here's a real life STEADY EDDY "terbacky" (aka: Sin stock) stock... People poo poo stuff like this because they all want to own the big hitters... That, and nobody is talking about the price per share at the grocery store... LOL

I own 6,500 PHILIP MORRIS (PM) @ todays closing price $84.23 for a total of $547,495.00 market value -- My average cost per share is $68.55 for a total investment of $445,564.60 --- So I have an UNREALIZED capital gain of +$101,930.40

My first buy was 2/03/11 @ $57.80 per share

4 more buys at various levels on the way up for a total of SIX buy ins

My last buy was 2/10/12 @ $80.40 per share

The point here is -- I was scaling in -- I don't really care that the price went UP from where I first bought it -- in fact I'M VERY HAPPY it was doing that! It's doing EXACTLY what I want it to do!

My AVERAGE cost is still only $68.55 per share

And I've collected $8,700.00 in dividends along the way....

Again - everyones actual positions are going to be scaled to THEM... I'm just using a real life actual example to show the affects of scaling in.... and that I just INVESTED in a dividend paying stock that is boring to the maximum.... but I'm very happy owning it. I don't really care whether people are smoking or not (I don't and I hate smoking!) --- it's an INVESTMENT I can live with, even if the buyers of the product can't!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 PM

Greg...

Thanks for talking with Albert... He seems young, hungry and smart..

He is one of the only people that bit into the thread I started , and seems to be running with it well..

I was foolish enough to almost start another one, but quickly realized that I was not welcome.. Oh well.

So my lesson learned is that i will comment on this thread and no others..

I learned my lesson. Albert will be the one that runs with it. I said if only one person did it... Albert is it..

Thanks for taking the time to help all of us..

No more new threads...

Soon to be crazy
Old 03-01-2012, 04:34 PM

So I just opened another Traditional IRA last night to stuff $2-3K away for five or so years.

Any creative funding suggestions?

Cash.......boring

ETF's

One good Steady Eddie?

I'm tempted to fund it with PM or McD and watch what happens.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:29 PM

I have a new hatred for mutual funds.

I have 2 401k accounts, one with current employer and one with a previous one that I no longer put money into obviously, so it just sits there. When I say it sits there I REALLY mean it sits there. Its not doing anything.
I'm going to move that account into something I can control and pick what I want and not be limited to a dozen opptions.
The other 401k account is with current employer and I'm putting in $600 a month and its not doing anything. I already sent the CFO a nice email outlining that we need more options, cause the dozen or so options aren't cutting it. Like I told him in the email I'd like to retire some day and not run out of money.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96z28ss View Post
I already sent the CFO a nice email outlining that we need more options, cause the dozen or so options aren't cutting it. Like I told him in the email I'd like to retire some day and not run out of money.
I bet that goes over well Bob..
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer