Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 06-03-2013, 01:02 PM

Default ''SERIOUSLY MAD'' '56 Nomad project

PLEASE SEE FOR SALE SECTION OR MY LAST POST, CAR IS FOR SALE FOR 2500$ all details on here or if missing anything please just ask! Lets save a very nice and super solid Rockin totally sick project!!!

Hey guy's. Been awhile since I posted.

I bought and sold a good chunk of cars since the last posted project on here and most recently sold my very nice 67' BB Chevelle Street/ strip/ show car. I sold the Chevelle to make a little room for the latest acquisitionS. I found a 48 000k miles 69 Camaro I never tought I could find. Its never been apart, 98% original (tires and 1 repaint like 15 yrs ago) and is gorgeos and sooooo clean inside like the outside, I have a hard time believing its really mine too... but that is a two sided blade car as all my friends tell me im a freak to wanna be slicing up that car!! I mean, I understand, but also its only a 327 2barrel /th350 car... but it has A/C and a few options....but it is all its everything. So they got me feeling guilty but I have not said my last word!!!

So, to ease my itch to build, I found a project I think is awesomely too cool and leaves A LOT of room for the imagination!!! It is a 1956 Chevy Nomad. The body is all there and id say very nice for its age (no patchwork done or needed except for window frames) it has everything and all moldings too, which come up fast when you start speaking dollar language....

But the most fun part of the whole thing is that it is sitting on a complete Nascar styled chassis. It has been made to the car and has a long story that I know as the car has always been local to me. It had been sold to a gentleman that bought it for its mechanicals and stuff and didn't want the body and frame (!!!!!!!!) so I was able to get it for a VERY interesting price that makes this project even more interesting! Sadly, during its stripping of the parts he wanted, the last owner saw it easier to just cut the whole suspension altogether to pull the motor/trans out (was SB2 and 5 speed) and so no front set up yet....On the + side it lets me decide what ever I want to put there. On the rear, it has a Truck Arm set up with the plates and adjustable coils a la Nascar, but im thinking Coil Overs and leave the rest as is. The frame is a a very serious build and was done in a professional shop (they said it had over 20k just in the frame, with everything in it of course!) But now it needs everything, I have the rear arms and Ubolts but no coils. All the moiunts are there and the floors are still in perfect shape. It has been moved often over the last few years with people taking what they wanted here and there but except for the front end being remove, its all there and waiting to be a killer street car!!!! Ill let the pics tell the thing and you let me know what you think!

I can surely picture this thing flashing off anything in the left lane at a buck sixty on the highway on a late Saturday night.... 305's in the front, 345's in the rear....434 smallblock and 4 speed w/a gearvendors, Wilwood binders and a Nascar inspired interior with some good use of dimple died plates here and there.... Colour? that's where im stumped right now...

Take a look. :-)

I'm trying this pic...I'll post some right after if this one shows up like I want it to, been awhile since I used my Photobucket.

Lead.

New for summer '13. My latest find!!

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"

Last edited by Leadfoot1; 08-27-2013 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Selling car!
Old 06-03-2013, 01:06 PM

Seems to work fine....

Here it is then!!!

It is seriously well buit, its hard to picture everything at a good angle with the cage in the way....everywhere!

Lead.

48k miles, 100% original, 1969 Camaro coupe. Untouched, never apart and squeaky clean!!! 327/th350, A/C car. Gold on black w/vinyl top. Only add ons; Fast ratio box and SS396 wheels.

FINALLY!!! A car without rust repairs ever!!! None before, none coming!!! Cant come to modifying it tough....

...So, '67 Camaro project with my laying around stuff out of my black 'vert. 468 BB and YSI blower, braked th400, 12 bolt/spool, 35 splines etc. Complete Calvert suspension front and rear. 30x13.5 ET Streets, caged, lightened, slammed and running low 9's "Street car"
Old 06-03-2013, 01:14 PM

Got a few more...

I have not made my mind yet if I really want to jump into this project...It fell onto my lap and I could not say no, it was part of a payment and was already finished in my head lol!!! I Love my 69 and am enjoying it, even with its stock 2 barrels, its the first time I have a car that the tires don't rub lol!!! And we can actually hear ourselves talking in it....yeah, im softening up, 40 was hard this year I guess!!!

At the very least, its going to give me some excuses to work on something. It has the possibility to be the car of the year in my mind. A shame they cut the front off...But like I was saying, there are so many options these days, affordable on top of things and the car definitively deserves something as radical and performant as the rest.

Lets see where this one takes me!!

Lead.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Interesting for sure and man someone spent a lot of time on that frame setup for sure. Keep us posted as to what you end up doing with it?

[SIGPIC]https://neversaynever0304.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/you-didnt-see-anything.gif[/SIGPIC]
Old 06-03-2013, 11:13 PM

love them 'Mads'. should be a great project. Looks solid.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 06-04-2013, 07:14 AM

Thanks guys,

I am starting to look at the options for the front end. I would like to keep it low dollar as it did not set me back to get it and i have a straight and super solid structure to begin with so i see no need to drop a load of cash to change it. If i could build the front suspension i would!

I am looking at the Mustng from 57HemiCuda and that is really inspiring....Style and expense wise. I really like the approach he took, and it works!!!! You cant really argue the cars looking TOTALLY Bad Ass too.....

I also saw the new DSE 2x4 clip on front suspension?? I know its 180 deg from "budget" building. Butfor what it is it aint so bad and the suspension is not one of the placesi would cut if i am to decide "where" to put more or less as i m building...

Weels i dont know... I seen a lot of shoeboxes with 20 /22 set ups and they can swallow them easily. But i dont want to make a show vehicle and i was thinking 19's might be a good size? Maybe 19/20? That would be my max sizing i think.

I think i would remove some of the cage, the "X" would be first, then the tubes that form like a "wall" thats serve as a rear bench's back would be out too asi would makeit a car for 5 and the cage, other than that, permits everything in that sense as if it was made for that, permitting maximum security atthesame time, i love the cage work in that car.

Yep,the body is very solid. Like i mentionned above, all thats left of the original seel is well, original. And no need to replace anything so thats nice! I had a flash of putting a flip/glass front clip at some point for a race look and really good accessibility on top of the weight saving advantage, bumpers are the very least i will do.

There are some caster wheels under it for moving around, they are mounted on a 2x3 piece that slides inside the actual frame and are easily removed just by pulling them out. The idea is to fab a new rotisserie, finish the frame than send the body out to soda blasting(braced of course!!) put em back together and start assembling! Man that always sounds so easy when we write it on here doesnt it lol!!!?? But seriously, thats all it needs, it was put together atsome point ill dig some pics with the front on and a SB if i remember correctly.

Lead.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:58 AM

Default love that car

Howe makes a front clip that uses circle track parts that would keep the theme of the car. Front clip is like $695, the rack is $800 new, the rest of the suspension could be sourced used very cheap. Run 5x5 steel cup wheels ($25 a piece used)

http://www.howeracing.com/p-7861-rt-road-race.aspx
Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Maybe this would do the trick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Spring-F..._Parts&vxp=mtr

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 06-04-2013, 04:48 PM

56 Nomad is my favorite year, and one of my favorite cars.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:18 PM

Man, that would make a killer build. an you say "super sleeper"?! lol
Good luck!