Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 01-22-2022, 01:02 AM

I've noticed that those easy out taps are bad in same cases. They split and widen the bolt so its even more thighten.

Every place I can, now days I use tig to get those out. Little by little grow new crown to it, when its high enough weld a nut on and then comes the most important: then let it cool all the way. Dont try to turn even a little bit before. Will just broke the nut off.
Not so long ago, got a broken stud out off 6.0PSD head. Friend snapped one off when changing injector. You cant drill, you would have to remove the head. This way it was easy..

Last edited by SuperB70; 01-22-2022 at 03:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperB70 For This Useful Post:
syborg tt (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
The nuts we tried to weld to the stud were so small they melted down before the weld would burn into the stud

Turns out, several drill bits and an easy out with assist from blue wrench was the answer.

New bolt procured and ready to put all back together now.
Was that a GRADE-8 bolt that broke?
Old 01-22-2022, 05:38 PM

No, 8.8 grade 8mm OEM bolt.
Old 01-23-2022, 11:24 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,546 Times in 850 Posts

Have you ever tried the left hand drill bits as I have had great luck with them.

Projects - Syborg TT 4.3l v6 Mini-Truck, 2nd Chance Camaro & SLP575 Bumble Bee - 4Sale
Old 01-23-2022, 08:18 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Hawks third gen or Hawks performance, whatever he goes by now, has both the t bolt and fork now. I put new ones on my TA. Parts looked good when they arrived.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 02-26-2022, 08:10 AM

Got some work done on the car this week with positive results all around. The LCA axle mounts have been lowered 1.5" and a brace was added between the UCA frame mount and the pass side spring tower. Here is how the geometry ended up.

I can now dump the clutch and send the car into a drift with virtually zero wheelhop, huge difference than before. The forward bite\grip seems to be much improved as well, but won't really be able to test that until I launch it at the start on hot tires at next event.

I also had Dr EFI go back through my Holley tune and clean up a couple of things and OMG is it better now!! Andrew is getting really good at this and with his touches in a few places and the restrictive tailpipe delete, this thing really came to life. Can't wait to show the LS powered, big tire guys how well it works March 13!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
camcojb (02-26-2022), Che70velle (02-26-2022), mfain (02-26-2022), syborg tt (02-28-2022)
Old 02-26-2022, 05:42 PM

Glad to read you're netting POS results from the efforts. Looking forward to track-day updates!
Old 04-13-2023, 05:52 PM

Just realized it's been over a year since I updated my build thread here, and I feel bad about that. I (like so many people) have gotten lazy and usually just post my updates on FB, which I used to complain about then I got sucked in as well. It's just too easy to do that even though I realize and greatly appreciate the value of an actual build thread that can be found easily, saves pictures and details, and can be used for reference sometimes even years later. I'll try to be better with my updates...

Since the 3 link install above I basically spent about 1 year just racing it locally trying to get used to it. My finishes were okay and there were things I loved about the new setup but still things I finally decided needed to be better.

About a month ago I finally started tweaking the setup once again. I corner balanced the car once again (it had been a while), lowered the rear ride height 3/4" and re-aligned the car (also badly needed). I also put the front sway bar back on the stiffest setting.

The results were fantastic, the car lit up especially in slaloms and sweepers. We had a 2 day autocross event in early May and on day 2 I finished P2 out of about 17 cars, 2nd only to Tom Kamman. This was my best finish in a long while and I was really starting to feel it again.

Here was my fast run from day 2. Check out the G meter during the 8 second long 270 degree sweeper...

BTW, you can also hear the new 3" stainless exhaust with Lamineer Flow straight through mufflers we installed last summer. HUGE upgrade even though I hate the dumps in front of the axle.

After that I prepped the car to return to road course racing with NASA at Podium Club . All fluids changed, brakes checked and bled, and a general nut and bolt check. The now 6 year old Stoptech pads are still less than half worn and the rotors still look brand new. I ordered replacements but I'm still going to run these as long as they'll last. I gathered up all my safety gear and headed down for the weekend, much fun was had. It was good to spend some quality time on a road course again and Podium Club did not disappoint.

The best part was I discovered a new thing...Time attack. UMS Tuning that tuned my car last summer sponsors a Time attack session with NASA on Sunday afternoons. Basically you spend the day running in HPDE 3 or 4 and figure out what your best lap times you are running are (I was right around 1:47) then they line up all the TA cars based on fastest time first. I was about 10th our of 28 cars that day. We get the track to ourselves and they release the first 14 cars onto the track about 200 yards apart and we are to keep our pace and distance for the warm up lap, then we go full speed as we come around to get the green flag. We then get 2 full laps of completely clear track at full speed to set our best time then come in. It was a HOOT... Kind of reminded me of autocross only a LOT faster. I screwed up the entry into turn one on my first hot lap but cleaned it up for my second and ran a 1:48.8xx

Over the whole weekend I put 170 miles on my car on track, 48 of those 2.32 mile laps were at speed reaching 130 mph on the front stretch every lap. Sunday morning I moved from HPDE3 to HPDE4 and started near the rear of a 40 car pack as I wasn't sure what kind of cars\drivers would be in that group. Here's a video of me picking my way up through the pack, again, so much fun! All of the drivers on track that weekend were so great to run around...courteous, point bys, Atta boys, everyone was so cool.

That pretty much gets you back up to date (if anyone read this far ). I have one more autocross this Saturday then another track day with NASA Sunday the 23rd then I'm done for the summer. I think the only work I need to do on the car is finally either re-seal or replace my steering box as it's really starting to leak a LOT. Who am I kidding... I'm sure I'll find more to do to it during the off season!!

Last edited by SSLance; 04-13-2023 at 05:58 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
camcojb (04-13-2023), carbuff (04-13-2023), Che70velle (04-27-2023), dhutton (04-14-2023), Roscoe03 (04-26-2023), ScotI (04-14-2023), syborg tt (04-19-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Thanked 1,443 Times in 625 Posts

Thanks Lance, great to hear from you. Car is working, you've got to be happy with the huge amount of progress you've made.

PAST CAR PROJECTS

Like Lateral-G on Facebook!

Follow Lateral-G on Instagram!

SPECIAL THANKS TO:
Jacob Ehlers and Amsoil for the lubricants and degreasers for my 70 Chevelle project
Shannon at Modo Innovations for the cool billet DBW bracket
Roadster Shop for their Chevelle SPEC Chassis
Dakota Digital for their Chevelle HDX Gauge Package
Painless Performance for their wiring harness

Ron Davis Radiators for their radiator and fan assembly.
Baer Brakes for their front and rear brakes

Texas Speed and Performance for their 427 LS Stroker
American Powertrain for their ProFit Magnum T56 kit
Currie Enterprises for their 9" Third Member
Forgeline for their GF3 Wheels
McLeod Racing for their RXT street twin clutch
Ididit for their steering column
Holley for their EFI and engine parts
Lokar and Clayton Machine for their pedals and door and window handles
Morris Classic Concepts for their 3 point belts and side mirrors
Thermotec for their heat sleeve and sound deadening products
Restomod Air for their Tru Mod A/C kit
Mightymouse Solutions for their catch can
Magnaflow for their 3" exhaust system
Aeromotive for their dual Phantom fuel system
Vintage Air for their new Mid Mount LS front drive
Hydratech Braking for their hydroboost system
Borgeson for their stainless steering shaft and u joints
Eddie Motorsports for their hood and trunk hinges and misc parts
TMI Products for their seats, door panels, and dash pad
Rock Valley Antique Auto Parts for their stainless fuel tank
Old 04-14-2023, 08:47 AM

Still not a FB guy w/zero desire to become one. This site is my 'Go-To' source on these build updates. Glad to see Barney is working well.

The videos are great! That was fun & thanks for updating.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ScotI For This Useful Post:
camcojb (04-14-2023), Che70velle (04-27-2023), Roscoe03 (04-26-2023)