Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Engine
User Name
Password

Old 03-28-2017, 09:31 AM

Most of you know I'm a visual guy...here is a picture of the setup I'm leaning toward.

I took my PCV and breather assemblies apart this morning and I think I can modify and use these for the Valve cover side of the plumbing.

And here is the hole in my air cleaner housing for the clean air side.

Now I just need to figure out if I can get by with one catch can or two and put the plan into motion.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:59 AM

So, just had a long conversation with David at Mighty Mouse and I placed an order for some parts. He's a good dude who understands this issue well and helped me decide what I needed without going total overkill for my setup.

We went with his PCV can with both a breather on top, an additional recirculator top for the can which will let me run a line to an additional catch can if needed during long road course sessions, and a brake booster mounting kit.

PCV Can
Fitting 2: 3/8" Hose Barb
Fitting 3: Oil Sight
Price: $200.00
http://www.mightymousesolutions.com/.../pcv-tuner-can

'Recirculator' your can
Fitting:: 3/8" Hose Barb
Order Type:: Old order upgrade
Price: $50.00
http://www.mightymousesolutions.com/...lator-your-can

MM Can Mounting Kits
Mounting Kit: GM Truck Booster
Price: $20.00
http://www.mightymousesolutions.com/...-mounting-kits

This setup is good for up to 600 HP.

The recirculator top is a backup in case for some strange reason I fill the catch can up with oil during a long road course session. With the breather top it would just push the oil out the breather and make a mess and be unsafe. It is very unlikely this will be an issue but I want to have the recirculator top with me the first couple of track days just in case. If I end up not needing it, he'll let me return it as long as it in in resalable condition.

The install plan is to gut my current PCV housing and use it to plumb the driver valve cover to the inlet side of catch can. The can has a PCV in it which will be plumbed to the intake vacuum. I'll get another PCV housing just like the one I have, gut it, put it in Pass side Valve cover and run it to the bottom of my air cleaner housing for a fresh air intake to the crankcase. Boom...Should solve any crankcase ventilation and blow by issues, keep oil from spewing down the side of my valve cover and might even help with the garage fumes from time to time.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:31 AM

FWIW, I have never had any luck with those billet PCV valves, even on cars that don't get driven in anger.

Instead of buying another billet thing to gut and ending up with just a 3/8" line on the clean side to the air cleaner, grab one of these with a 5/8" nipple.

The 5/8" will keep your engine will keep your crankcase from going positive pressure in most cases.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 03-28-2017, 12:10 PM

Thanks Donny, a friend has an extra one in his tool box that matches the other so it won't cost anything. David explains that even the 3/8s nipple on these might even be too much air and I may want to slow the air down going in the fresh air side. My logical mind say's it'll only pull in the fresh side the amount of air (minus any blow by) the PVC side pulls out of the can by which will be 3/8s as well.

The big thing to me is the 1" stub that goes in the grommet so that is a tight fit. I'm just happy I don't have to cut on or weld to my valve covers...
Old 04-05-2017, 08:43 AM

Brake booster bracket

Can up to bracket

It fits well there but I'm not too crazy about it hanging right over the top of a header. I'm going to look around a bit more today to see if I can make the bracket work somewhere up around the core support. I'm less concerned about hiding it and the lines to it and more concerned about ease of checking sight window and draining oil out of the can.

The can is a VERY nice piece for sure...

Still working on the pass side PCV housing as well, hope to have a remedy there soon too.
Old 04-05-2017, 05:17 PM

I love the Arrington race catchcan V2. It is simply the best design. The only drawback is cost.

We offer a "good one" from Moroso for about half ... at the bottom of this page HERE.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:49 PM

Alright, 90% of this project is installed and operational. All I'm waiting for is the Pass side breather I ordered to show up so I can plumb it to the bottom of the air cleaner, for now I've just got the old open breather on that side.

Here's the can hanging off the airbox right behind the headlight.

The 3/8s lines running from the can to the now gutted PCV breather on the valve cover and manifold vacuum port on bottom of carb.

And I can even see the site glass by looking under the core support by the charcoal canister...

This setup is pretty sweet, here are a few pictures of the top of the can, inside the breather top and even inside the recirc top for you to see as well.

There is a check disc inside both the open breather and the recirc top that lets air flow out if needed but when vacuum is put on the can it seals the top off.

If any questions just ask away, I think I now have a handle on how all this works and can't wait to try it out under sustained WOT applications...

Thanks for all the help with this guys...sure hope it cures a few ills I had last season.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:23 PM

Interesting thread thanks for sharing. I run two catch cans, with only breathers and no connection back to carb so it just escapes to atmosphere. My car stinks so bad the family won't go in it. I am re-thinkng the set up to get fumes down and family in

61 Buick Lesabre Bubbletop (daily driver)......miles of smiles
Old 04-11-2017, 08:23 AM

I fixed the pass side breather last night. I thought I'd try another PCV over there gutted and plumbed to the air cleaner but it was too difficult to restrict the flow on...so I looked at the open breather I had there originally and came up with an idea.

I cut a piece of rubber gasket material with a piece of copper pipe and poked a small hole in it with a leather punch...and put it in the center of the breather making it just about as hard to suck air through as the Mighty Mouse PCV.

This should give the system the intake restriction it needs to make the MM can setup work as designed. It's all on the car and ready to be tested...I'll update once I get some miles on it.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:31 PM

I ran -12's from the top of both valve covers to separate catch cans. I ran the snot out of mine everywhere and they worked very well. They would smoke a little until the moisture burned off. I don't recall any messes. I would drain them once in a while. Never more than an ounce or two.

Why suck the vapors back in the engine? I get it on a street car where you want to go 3000 miles between oil changes.