Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Man Caves
User Name
Password

Old 08-14-2018, 10:55 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I've been wondering when you were going to get rolling on this project!

Are those the current plans? I don't see a built in bar with taps.

(760)480.0227

1969 Camaro - always broken GM Design winner
1965 Mustang - widebody fastback
2006 Coyote swapped "Rental Car"

Up next:
Steve's GT40
Old 08-14-2018, 12:18 PM

This looks very nice, Dave. The important point to address here is what you are going to do with a lift. Are you sure you shouldn't just start with a bottle jack and a crescent wrench first? Hydraulic lifts and other complex tools can be quite dangerous.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:06 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

While I don't have a shop, I do work in Jeffs regularly. He put a lot of thought into layout and use of space which is the key IMO. Not to give Todd any credit, but a side mount garage door opener and raised rails is a very smart idea. Locating the compressor outside is another. Once you get tools, equipment, parts and projects in there it's going to get small really quick. So make sure you can walk around two cars in there without issue.

Here's a few pics of Jeffs shop. Maybe a good way to get some ideas on what will work best for you.

The big door is 16'x10' tall FYI

I'll get better pics next time I am over at Jeffs. I really like the fit and function of the way he set things up.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 08-14-2018, 01:37 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Is the slab a post tension slab?
Old 08-14-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
Lemme know if u need some subs, not the sandwich.
I'll PM you Mike. About the sandos. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@BOS View Post
I've been wondering when you were going to get rolling on this project!

Are those the current plans? I don't see a built in bar with taps.
Yes these drawings were submitted last week to Planning.

The keezer has casters... it may move from the existing garage to this one from time to time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
This looks very nice, Dave. The important point to address here is what you are going to do with a lift. Are you sure you shouldn't just start with a bottle jack and a crescent wrench first? Hydraulic lifts and other complex tools can be quite dangerous.
Looks nice? Yeah I'll find a way to muck it all up.

The lift will probably get a lot of use picking up my kids or something to entertain them.

Crescent wrench - check!
2004 NASA AIX Mustang LS2 #14
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 08-14-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
While I don't have a shop, I do work in Jeffs regularly. He put a lot of thought into layout and use of space which is the key IMO. Not to give Todd any credit, but a side mount garage door opener and raised rails is a very smart idea. Locating the compressor outside is another. Once you get tools, equipment, parts and projects in there it's going to get small really quick. So make sure you can walk around two cars in there without issue.

Here's a few pics of Jeffs shop. Maybe a good way to get some ideas on what will work best for you.

The big door is 16'x10' tall FYI

I'll get better pics next time I am over at Jeffs. I really like the fit and function of the way he set things up.

Thanks Curtis. That is a nice clean shop. Do you know the dimensions?

I have done the whole graph paper thing with my car dimensions, etc and there should be ample room around 3 cars, even more 1 on the lift and 2 on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Adams View Post
Not sure yet. Will discuss that when we get the structural engineer involved. We did not need the structural report for Design Review (Planning Dept) but will for the permit (Building Dept).
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer
Old 08-15-2018, 03:55 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Adams View Post
If it is, (and most around here are not, cept trac housing), You almost CAN NOT drill into it, you knick one of those cables (installing a lift or anything else bolted down) and you can die, very easily.

I recommend bolting almost everything here in Cali, u dunno when the fat lady's crack is gonna fart. When it does, racks are falling over.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:34 PM

Save your tool budget and do a couple sliders and a deck over the parking area. You’ll end up using it more, cussing less and the risk of injury will be drastically reduced.

Just sayin 🇺🇸🙃
Old 08-15-2018, 05:02 PM

With rents being so high in the Bay Area, for resale or down the road you might think of squeezing another bedroom where the kitchen area is currently located since the space is so big. Then move the kitchen to the main rec room wall adjacent to the new bedroom, that way you won't run into biggier remodel down the road with moving the bay window and plumbing if you decide to do it.

I acted as the GC for my foundation replacement and buildout of our basement, total pain in the ass, but worth the $50k in savings. Only advice is have a solid contract with your subs and ensure it details the scope, materials, etc. Also, you can save a bit more by paying for material directly (concrete, rebar, lumber, etc), but you'll go crazy running to the lumber yard or paying for last minute deliveries.

For the garage, plumb air lines from you compressor to the ceiling/wall near your lift so you minimize tripping hazard. Also, don't skimp on the lighting of course.

1968 Camaro SS
Old 08-15-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassman View Post
If it is, (and most around here are not, cept trac housing), You almost CAN NOT drill into it, you knick one of those cables (installing a lift or anything else bolted down) and you can die, very easily.

I recommend bolting almost everything here in Cali, u dunno when the fat lady's crack is gonna fart. When it does, racks are falling over.
I think you're right Mike. Talked to my 2 buddies helping me on this last night .. they assume it will be conventional rebar but will defer to the engineer on that.

And the 2 post lift will most certainly be bolted down in these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBasher View Post
Save your tool budget and do a couple sliders and a deck over the parking area. You’ll end up using it more, cussing less and the risk of injury will be drastically reduced.

Just sayin ������
Guess you missed the part where the in-law above is the priority. Added parking and a lift underneath just come with the package.

If we're gonna spend the money to excavate it only makes sense to do 2 floors since my zoning allows 27 foot height and 6000 total square feet.

This is also part of a long term (15-20 year) plan to position this property for ultimate resale when our gets get done with high school. Our lot is large for here (3/4 acre) and the house has a large but compartmentalized choppy floor plan IMO. With this addition and a later MBR addition in maybe 5-10 years I think this will be much more desirable to a modern buyer in our area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADY View Post
With rents being so high in the Bay Area, for resale or down the road you might think of squeezing another bedroom where the kitchen area is currently located since the space is so big. Then move the kitchen to the main rec room wall adjacent to the new bedroom, that way you won't run into biggier remodel down the road with moving the bay window and plumbing if you decide to do it.

I acted as the GC for my foundation replacement and buildout of our basement, total pain in the ass, but worth the $50k in savings. Only advice is have a solid contract with your subs and ensure it details the scope, materials, etc. Also, you can save a bit more by paying for material directly (concrete, rebar, lumber, etc), but you'll go crazy running to the lumber yard or paying for last minute deliveries.

For the garage, plumb air lines from you compressor to the ceiling/wall near your lift so you minimize tripping hazard. Also, don't skimp on the lighting of course.
We will never rent out this space. I like my tenants AWAY from my family. Friends and family only. It isn't being permitted for occupancy either (rec room only). I wanted a huge open loft style room like my old lofts when I lived in the city. And the large windows and vaulted ceiling will match the existing house. When my parents and in-laws aren't staying there (short term only) this will be used as a poker room, for parties, etc. and the kids can sleep in peace in the main house.

I am with you on the GC part. I figure it will be a hassle but look forward to it. I will offer to do whatever I can (materials, etc) to save money and stay involved. Did that with our kitchen remodel and saved a ton.

One thing I already have is 14 or 15 hanging 4 foot LED lights. Dad got them for me on sale at Costco a couple years ago.

I don't have a big compressor and not sure when I will get one. But I do have a provision for an enclosure along the wall or next to the bathroom should I want to add one at some point.
But you have me thinking maybe I will make that over in the opposite corner closer to the list. Will have to think on that.

Thanks for the tips!
1964 Lincoln Continental
2014 4 tap Keezer