Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 12-10-2013, 05:21 PM

Default [Insert Cool Name Here] '69 Camaro LS1 Project

Well,
I'm making this build thread to start documenting my project. I've already asked a bunch of questions here: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=44069
but it's time to start doing something.

I purchased a 1969 RS Camaro a few weeks ago and I'm accumulating parts. Unfortunately, I'm on a pretty tight budget and my wad is mostly spent for the moment.

So far I have in my possession or have ordered:

Engine/Trans/ECM/Harness from a 2004 GTO

Holley 302-2 Oil Pan

Tanks inc tank with sending unit and 400lph Walbro

Manual brake and clutch pedal

Energy Suspension body mount kit

And misc other stuff I needed

I'm going to need some engine mounts and I'm leaning towards the Dirty Dingo sliders but haven't decided. I'm not going to be able to afford headers at the moment and would like to use factory manifolds; however, I would like some mounts that would work with headers in the future which is why I'm thinking the adjustables would be a good idea.

The other major thing I have to decide on soon is the wiring harness. I'm thinking about modifying the stock harness myself but I'll admit that it's a daunting prospect so any help on that would be awesome. Also, any ideas would be great on whether or not it's a good idea just to send out my ECM to have the modifications done or if it's worth it to buy some tuning software myself.

Anyway, here are some pix about as she sits at the moment.

I already have front discs and don't plan on messing with the suspension or body too much until a year or so from now when I've got enough money saved up again.
'04 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4

My '69 Camaro Build Thread
Old 12-10-2013, 09:44 PM

Project worth penny
Old 12-11-2013, 07:36 AM

sweet ride what you pay for it if you dont mind me asking
Old 12-11-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetbird View Post
Project worth penny
Are you implying that it's worth a single penny? Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitychev View Post
sweet ride what you pay for it if you dont mind me asking
I'll tell you that it was less than 20k but more than 10k.
The body has some bondo in it and a few rust bubbles in some of the normal spots but is otherwise and overall quite solid including the floor, rockers and trunk. The rear quarters have been replaced as well.

Back to the build.....

Anyone have recommendations on what to delete and what to leave in the PCM? I found someone locally that can take care of my PCM flashing needs.

Old 12-13-2013, 05:22 AM

I received my 302-2 oil pan and my clutch/brake pedal assembly yesterday. I should get some more goodies today.

I wish it would warm up a bit though. I'd be happy with any temperature greater than 20 degrees at this point! I have heat in my shop but its hard to get motivated to go down there and fire up the heater when its 0 degrees.

I'm still researching engine mounts and trying to decide what to do on that front. I did find out that with my GTO engine I can switch to a Corvette style MAF to get some pretty cheap HP. I'm liking that!

Old 12-13-2013, 08:37 AM

for the engine harness I say do it yourself. There are tons of info on the web on how to do it.

I did the one in my son's truck. I used the info on lt1swap.com. I had Zippy Performance in Las Vagas do the computer tune and delete the VATS and make a few other changes as recommended on lt1swap.com. I was not really hard, just very time consuming. I think all told I have about 12 hours in the finished harness. I could easily do one now in a lot less time. I printed out all the info that pertained to my harness and marked off the items as I went.

I have heard good things about the dirty dingo mounts. I built custom mounts for our swap as we set the motor back as far as we could and built a new firewall.

Good luck! The car looks like a nice place to start.

1965 Chevrolet C10
1982 Chevrolet C10 - My son's Truck - Sunburn
Old 12-13-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
for the engine harness I say do it yourself. There are tons of info on the web on how to do it.

I did the one in my son's truck. I used the info on lt1swap.com. I had Zippy Performance in Las Vagas do the computer tune and delete the VATS and make a few other changes as recommended on lt1swap.com. I was not really hard, just very time consuming. I think all told I have about 12 hours in the finished harness. I could easily do one now in a lot less time. I printed out all the info that pertained to my harness and marked off the items as I went.

I have heard good things about the dirty dingo mounts. I built custom mounts for our swap as we set the motor back as far as we could and built a new firewall.

Good luck! The car looks like a nice place to start.
Thanks aggie,

I discovered lt1swap.com a few days ago and grabbed the pinout from this link:
http://www.lt1swap.com/2004gto_pcm_pinouts.htm

It doesn't really go through what to keep, and what to get rid of though it does tell you what you CAN get rid of. I've been looking for a step by step somewhere but everyone who posts info on it or makes a video seems to shortcut past all the stuff I'm curious about. I know how to do one BASICALLY but I need specifics. What if I want to keep the stuff that tells me what gear the transmission is in or what if I want to rig in a clutch sensor so I can safely add remote start later? What about A/C and fans? How do I include a relay/fuse box? Stuff like that.

I found a local guy to remove VATS for me just like you did but haven't found anyone to help me out with the harness. I might try posting in the Midwest section at LS1Tech and asking for a "mentor" to do my first one. Haha.

Last edited by OBeer-WAN-Kenobi; 12-13-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:42 PM

Most of that is on that site. You might have to dig thru the other areas, such as the truck harness step by step he did on the site: This link is updated more recently then when I did mine, now it is on facebook...:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5211824&type=3

Here is the fuse block and OBDII port for the truck harness:
http://lt1swap.com/fuseblock_obd2port.html

Look at this page:
http://lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm

1965 Chevrolet C10
1982 Chevrolet C10 - My son's Truck - Sunburn
Old 12-16-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Most of that is on that site. You might have to dig thru the other areas, such as the truck harness step by step he did on the site: This link is updated more recently then when I did mine, now it is on facebook...:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5211824&type=3

Here is the fuse block and OBDII port for the truck harness:
http://lt1swap.com/fuseblock_obd2port.html

Look at this page:
http://lt1swap.com/2000harness.htm
Thanks again aggie,
I found a guy to work with that really seems to know his stuff on reprogramming my ECM to work with Fans and A/C along with some other "enhancements" He's actually sending me the schematics for how I will need to wire the harness to match his calibration. So, HOPEFULLY, I'm no longer in ECM/harness limbo-hell.

I'm going to start another thread for this but does anyone have suggestions on what clutch setup to use for now? I split the transmission and engine this weekend and although it's not that old (plenty of wear left), it looks like the P/O didn't know how to drive a stick as it's got chatter and hot spots all over it. It seems no one resurfaces pressure plates anymore so I'm going to need to buy new stuff if I want to replace it.

My goals; eventually, are as close to 600 RWHP as I can get, but I won't need that kind of clutch performance for a while so i can go with a more factory option for now. What's reasonably priced and a good value?

Old 12-17-2013, 06:57 AM

LS7 clutch kit, strong, great value. GM part# 24255748

Last edited by im4u2nvss; 12-17-2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Part # correction