Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 06-15-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalVortex View Post
Im eagerly awaiting to see how much of this you guys can implement. There have been a lot of us waiting for a decent fast ratio, decent turn radius power rack setup for these cars! Not sure if a full front subframe is really a possibility given how these cars are put together...

It is a ways off before Speedtech has this front suspension clip ready to sell ... primarily because there are ExtReme clips & full frame designs for other cars ahead of it.

When we replace the clip with my new design, it will achieve everything I've listed. For all intents & purposes, the suspension & steering design is done. What Speedtech will work on .... down the road ... is where & how to tie the new clip into the unibody.

A full clip is doable. Frankly, almost anything is doable with fabrication. It just won't be a simple "bolt-in" like the clips for 1st & 2nd Gen F-bodies & 68-74 X-Bodies (Novas, etc).

While I am excited this clip is coming down the road ... there are several other cars getting ExtReme clips and/or frames before it. Really looking forward to the completion of the 68-72 A-Body ExtReme Chassis, and subsequently the 64-67 A-Body ExtReme Chassis.

Old 06-15-2016, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the insight Infernal V. All that is great feedback and things we can think about. We just recently launched a new frame connector/ lateral cross brace/ torque arm front mount for the 1st gen cars. Something like this will be on the list of can we implement it for the 3rd gens too. Currently we use a bolt in crossmember for our Torque arm front mounts. We also typically use an adjustable trans crossmember for different trans opttions. We're all about low stance and lots of ground clearance so we'll pay attention to your comments as we get into the design. Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Sutton View Post

It is a ways off before Speedtech has this front suspension clip ready to sell ... primarily because there are ExtReme clips & full frame designs for other cars ahead of it.

When we replace the clip with my new design, it will achieve everything I've listed. For all intents & purposes, the suspension & steering design is done. What Speedtech will work on .... down the road ... is where & how to tie the new clip into the unibody.

A full clip is doable. Frankly, almost anything is doable with fabrication. It just won't be a simple "bolt-in" like the clips for 1st & 2nd Gen F-bodies & 68-74 X-Bodies (Novas, etc).

While I am excited this clip is coming down the road ... there are several other cars getting ExtReme clips and/or frames before it. Really looking forward to the completion of the 68-72 A-Body ExtReme Chassis, and subsequently the 64-67 A-Body ExtReme Chassis.

Given how these cars are currently valued, I'd do the same. They will pick up, but it's not quite their time to shine yet. The market for something that extensive probably hasnt truly materialized yet.
Old 06-16-2016, 10:26 AM

Yep. With this one we're pushing to get ahead of the game and perhaps be instrumental in that rise in popularity for these cars. Imagine being $10K + ahead of the game by buying a decent $1000-$1500 platform to start with rather than $10K for a beat builder. If performance handling in a decent looking car is more of the end goal than sporting a 69 Camaro, this should be a hot market.

Last edited by Ben@SpeedTech; 06-16-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:18 AM

Quote:

2 big things many 3rd gen fbody owners would like:

a choice of spindles.

ability to add a power rack and pinion.

there are quite a few who want spindles and rack and pinion. there have been various companies that have cast new spindles and fabricated them and ultimately they all disappeared.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellPhish89 View Post
2 big things many 3rd gen fbody owners would like:

a choice of spindles.

ability to add a power rack and pinion.

there are quite a few who want spindles and rack and pinion. there have been various companies that have cast new spindles and fabricated them and ultimately they all disappeared.
Are you referring to the Strut spindles?
Old 06-21-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to the Strut spindles?
yep.

Would very much like a 1.5-2" drop and modification to allow easier installation of a rack and pinion
Old 06-21-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellPhish89 View Post
yep.

Would very much like a 1.5-2" drop and modification to allow easier installation of a rack and pinion
I actually thought about seeing if there was a way to adapt the AFX spindle to the strut mount but do not think it is possible as the AFX spindle was not designed to carry the load on the top side ball joint, thinking most would want to move to a coil over set up. so that is a no go. even trying to figure an upper mount to the strut and require a coil spring in the LCA will nt really work as there is not enough material on the top side to machine mounting bolt holes into it.
so back to the drawing board.
beside the strut just limits the tire size too much.
Old 06-22-2016, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Foster View Post
I actually thought about seeing if there was a way to adapt the AFX spindle to the strut mount but do not think it is possible as the AFX spindle was not designed to carry the load on the top side ball joint, thinking most would want to move to a coil over set up. so that is a no go. even trying to figure an upper mount to the strut and require a coil spring in the LCA will nt really work as there is not enough material on the top side to machine mounting bolt holes into it.
so back to the drawing board.
beside the strut just limits the tire size too much.
It almost looks like they are similar-ish looking designs that could have tooling adapted to provide the correct mounting point for the strut (yea, I know, thats actually easier and cheaper said than done). I know you basically have things right there in front of you but:

Problem with coil over setups is that the strut towers on thridgens are not meant to carry the load of springs. They require a bit of bracing and such so the metal doesnt tear. I'm sticking with stock style springs in either case, many do.

The steering arm would have to be a major design point. The stock one isnt in the best position.

Anyways, just my humble analysis :shrugs:
Old 09-27-2016, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the input. We're well under way with our 55-57 Chevy chassis system, next is early 64-67 Chevelle and then the 3rd gen. I'll keep everyone posted as we get closer.