Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 01-16-2011, 05:10 PM

Default 68 Camaro SB2, T101, full chassis build

I recented picked up a 1968 Camaro RS/SS that is in great condition. It currently has a big cam 427 making 550HP, reverse pattern manual shift Turbo 400 and Dana 60 in it. All of those drag racing parts are getting pulled out (I will likely sell them if anyone is interested) and I am thinking about putting in an SB2 ex-cup motor I have. Along with the SB2, I have a Tex T101 which I am debating whether to use or not. I have raced cars for years so I am used to driving with a clutchless dog ring transmission but never on the street. I can't decide if I am going to make this car more race car or street car but it will see double duty regardless. I also have a Schwartz chassis I picked up for it. I can't wait to get started on it. Here are a few pictures of the car as it is now, the motor, and the chassis. Feel free to give me input/opinions on the use of the motor/tranny. If I decide against the tranny, I will need to source a manual tranny that can handle that power of the SB2. That is unless I dump that idea as well and use an LSx motor but since I already have the SB2 and there are already tons of LSx powered 1st gen Camaros, I am leaning to the SB2. The car will be fully caged with a nice interior (not all sheetmetal).
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Sounds like a great project and welcome to the site! I really like the idea of a full frame 68 and your choice is top notch. I'd run bigger tires on it, though...

I would think that SB2 motor would be a great (and unique as you stated) choice, but if it not a 'track only' car won't you need to detune it a little for manners?

Old 01-17-2011, 03:14 AM

wider tires? im pretty sure hes gonna have mini tub to get those monsters to fit.

anyway, i already love the direction of this project. awesome motor. cant wait to see the progress.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:29 PM

I can't believe you guys don't like my monster wheels/tires. I am pretty sure they will be able to hook up with the 800+ horses No actually, I will be minitubing and throwing 335's on the back. Probably 275's on the front but I haven't gotten around to getting the wheels yet.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 AM
Administrator

What kind of power is your SB2 making?

My LS7 69 Camaro
Old 01-19-2011, 11:41 AM

Not a ton of road racers on this site but if it were me it would be the SB2 and T101. You dont know how fun it is racing a first gen Camaro until you do it. The challenges of test and tune are intoxicating and addicting. Once you get her dialed in you've just shifted into exhilerating.

I am currently running an aluminum front clip, aluminum small block 427(620 HP @ 6500, 560 ft/tq @ 5000), and a road race prepped M-22.

I've been Time Trialing my car since 2002 at Infineon, Thunderhill, and Buttonwillow. Every track day I do is a test and tune and I wont run any events where the host holding the event isn't monitering lap times through an AMB transponder.

Whatever your decision, good luck wth your endeavor.

Cheers!!
Old 01-20-2011, 12:18 AM

The motor currently makes over 800 horsepower but once I detune it a little for the street, I am guessing it will be in the high 600's or low 700's. I will dyno it and post the results.

Track Junky, I will track you down at one of the races to meet you as I live in Northern California and pick your brain about the 1st gen's on the track.

Are you going to be at Nasa Infineon event on 2/12 and 2/13? I'll be there racing my spec miata. I know, it has a whopping 121 horsepower and weighs2275lbs but it is a fun little momentum car. I also have a K&N Pro Series West car that I race which has 648 horsepower and weighs 3400lbs.

What does your camaro weigh? Does it have an interior or just sheetmetal? I love that you have an aluminum small block.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 AM

maybe I missed something, but the engine in the pix of the first post isn't an SB2 - the intake would have individual runners as the SB2 went to mirror ports and looked more like a Ford with symmetrical ports than Chevy (and GM took a lot of heat for looking more like a 351 Ford). That looks more like an 18deg engine tho' I can't see the heads well enough to tell - the exh ports are taped over but it doesn't look like a Stahl pattern so likely not GM 18deg either. Are you sure of what that engine is?

All that said, if it were me I would indeed use an SB2 engine with a big but reasonable cam (250-260 deg @ .050" range) and dog box. It will be noisy as hell around town, but the point of the car is to have a hot rod, so noise is fine and the track days will be worth it.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:05 AM

You didn't miss it, I did. It is an 18 degree motor not an SB2. It is an ex-RCR motor but my friend who I got it from said it was an SB2 and I didn't pay much attention as it was free but after looking at it, you're right, it is an 18 degree head. Bummer, but at least the price was right.