Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Introductions > Member/Project/Vehicle Introductions
User Name
Password

Old 08-18-2011, 01:14 PM

Default Where to start...

Picked up a 68 Camaro a couple of months ago and immediately became overwhelmed with the amount of work needed. Ya'll make it look easy! The car is already stripped and has a very large portion of the sheet metal already replaced (doors, roof skin, quarters, fenders, rockers, floor pan, truck pan). For the life of me, I don't understand why the previous "builder" didn't media blast the car before doing anything. I can see spots that should have be hit with the POR15 they used or got the thing blasted. But it still leaves me with plenty to do. I've got a 396 block for it, but no transmission. I intend to stay with the 396 as long as the block checks out, but plan to stay with a big block regardless if it doesn't. Not sure what transmission I will need (thinking TH400 or a 7r400). Currently has a 10 bolt rear, no idea of gear, but I imagine I will need to at least go 12 or maybe even 9" when the time comes. Seems I'll need to get the rear, 4 link and mini-tub all at the same time to make it all work together. Not sure on that yet...I'm new to all this!

While trying to decide on pro-street, resto-mod, or pro-touring I became overwhelmed again! I think it's easy to do in this craft!

However, my wife and I decided we really like the look of the pro-touring, but don't need the high end suspension systems (air bags, etc) that are out there. So many choices it is mind boggling! I like the aggressive stance, current brakes, bigger rims, etc.

My plans include disc brakes, mini-tub (but might go with a 4 link for better ride and comfort), and new front suspension components (UCA/LCA).

Currently has multi-leaf springs, traction bar, and subframe connectors. I've already pulled the front clip off and getting ready to pull the motor this evening.

Here's a pic of where it was at before I started removing panels.

Still some body work left to do, but I will more than likely farm that out along with the paint.

Not real sure where I am going to start first so any suggestions? I was thing of starting with the front suspension first and getting that out of the way and then brakes. Then mini-tub, rear...then farm out for body work and paint. Suggestions please...

How can I tell if the car was a P/S or AC car?

Sean
Old 08-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Lateral-g Moderator

Looks like a great car to start a project with. I'd suggest getting a build sheet together before you do anything. Just list it all out by section. Think of it as a dream sheet at first and then start refining it with what's practical for how you will use the car and your budget. It's easy to get lost in a sea of parts for sure so just research one area at a time to cut down on the confusion. Plenty of good people around here willing to share advice.

NO ONE IS COMING. IT'S UP TO US.

http://www.navysealfoundation.org/
Old 08-18-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffav8 View Post
Looks like a great car to start a project with. I'd suggest getting a build sheet together before you do anything. Just list it all out by section. Think of it as a dream sheet at first and then start refining it with what's practical for how you will use the car and your budget. It's easy to get lost in a sea of parts for sure so just research one area at a time to cut down on the confusion. Plenty of good people around here willing to share advice.

I agree with Curtis. Put it all on paper, refine each section as you do some research. Keep your budget in mind at all times and just as important your realistic intended use of the car. Track car? Cruiser? Show? All of the above?

I must have built my car 150 times in my head. Once I got things researched and written down I felt much better. Now I am gathering parts and tools. And preparing my work area. I have a very clear understanding of the parts I plan to use and a detailed list of separate projects for different areas of the car.
One thing at a time, you will get it done and not feel overwhelmed by all of it.

And like Curtis said, there are a lot of great people here willing to share what they have gone through on thier own cars. I would not be where I am with my project, or my comfort level doing it myself without the help of this group of good people.

1970 Camaro.....on the road someday!