Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 04-17-2020, 06:26 PM

Wow, all I have to say is wow. My mind is blown.

Thank you for the in depth explanation and reasoning.

I understand your car is built to beat the living snot out of, and do it for many minutes at a time while barely breaking a sweat. I know race car technology works it's way from the racetrack and eventually finds its way in to production cars.

Thank you for sharing that with us, I know that there is something we can all take away to make our cars just a tiny bit better, even if they'll never be driven to the level of your capability.

Thank you
Old 04-17-2020, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stielow View Post
What I discovered on Guner was if you have GearFX polish the gears you can do three 20 minute track sessions before the diff temps get over 300F. I did not add a diff cooler to Gunner.
Really informative answer, thanks for sharing.

I'm a casual lurker with a neglected Meanstreet build, who also happens to be the CEO of a laboratory-grown diamond company. If you're not aware, diamond is ~5x more thermally conductive than aluminum or copper, and there are many applications of lab diamonds as a heat spreader in satellites, lasers, 5G cell towers, etc.

Lab diamond heat spreaders really won't help a PT build, but DLC might be of interest to you.

Have you looked into DLC (diamond like carbon) coating any of your moving parts? Either professionally or with your builds? It's a fairly substantial coefficient of friction reduction versus metal on metal and might be of benefit to reduce the overall heat generated in your various systems.

Also, have you looked into Laminova heat exchangers? I'm a supplier to Koenigsegg and I know they have had great success with Laminova HEs:
http://www.laminova.se/products/oil-coolers

Lastly, to your point about driver and use case, I have a three-pedal 702rwhp 2nd Gen CTS-V. Upgraded HE for the blower, but OEM cooling otherwise. I'd overheat it halfway through my first flying lap of a HPDE, but the car does phenomenal in 2-3-4-3-2-3-2-3-4-3 driving in the twistys in the Santa Cruz mountains where I am traction and deer/wild turkey/road bicycle limited.

If you were a part of the CTS-V development, thanks for your work- it's a phenomenal car.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to payne For This Useful Post:
JD67SS (04-17-2020), Motobrewmaster (04-20-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Hot Rod cooling. Fun topic. First off I want to give a disclaimer…..this is what worked for me.

Also 90% of people do not need to harden their cars this much because you don’t beat on them as hard as I do. Many times I’m asked to take someones car out on the track to see what it will do and I over temp their car. Even if the owners never had an issue. ...

A car has two parts to it, track capability and track durability. Capability is lap time, maybe one lap. Durability is how long it can do it. ...

I have been fighting cooling issues for years. Most aftermarket products were designed to cool vehicle that cruise around or do occasional drag racing.

+1 on everything Mark said. Doing track days and now amateur racing for 15+ years now, thermal management is maybe the most under-appreciated aspect of ultimate performance.

You will notice that the "customer" field on the drawing Mark included is not him. It's me - because I got in touch with C&R and asked them to duplicate Mark's setup on Hellfire, and then they included additional feedback on the design from Mark himself based on Gunner. I would highly recommend that if you're chasing the ultimate in track capability, you get in touch with the C&R folks. Extremely knowledgeable and competent. Not cheap compared to off the shelf systems that aren't up to the task, but very high value for what you get.

And to Mark, loving the thread and learning something all the time. I have a kind of Hellfire Jr. LT4-based remake of my car near completion - and a lot of it is just directly copied from what I learn from your builds. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by PTAddict; 04-17-2020 at 08:19 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PTAddict For This Useful Post:
130fe (04-18-2020), fleetus macmullitz (04-17-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 07:43 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,852 Times in 506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by payne View Post
Really informative answer, thanks for sharing.

I'm a casual lurker with a neglected Meanstreet build, who also happens to be the CEO of a laboratory-grown diamond company. If you're not aware, diamond is ~5x more thermally conductive than aluminum or copper, and there are many applications of lab diamonds as a heat spreader in satellites, lasers, 5G cell towers, etc.

Lab diamond heat spreaders really won't help a PT build, but DLC might be of interest to you.

Have you looked into DLC (diamond like carbon) coating any of your moving parts? Either professionally or with your builds? It's a fairly substantial coefficient of friction reduction versus metal on metal and might be of benefit to reduce the overall heat generated in your various systems.

Also, have you looked into Laminova heat exchangers? I'm a supplier to Koenigsegg and I know they have had great success with Laminova HEs:
http://www.laminova.se/products/oil-coolers

Lastly, to your point about driver and use case, I have a three-pedal 702rwhp 2nd Gen CTS-V. Upgraded HE for the blower, but OEM cooling otherwise. I'd overheat it halfway through my first flying lap of a HPDE, but the car does phenomenal in 2-3-4-3-2-3-2-3-4-3 driving in the twistys in the Santa Cruz mountains where I am traction and deer/wild turkey/road bicycle limited.

If you were a part of the CTS-V development, thanks for your work- it's a phenomenal car.

Thanks for the post. Sorry I have not tried any of your coatings.

Yes I was part of HPVO (High Performace Vehicle Operations) when the CTSVs were being developed. Great cars!

Dave Mikels who sometime posts on here was also on the team and developed the system that keeps that car from Power Hopping.

Added is me driving a Pre-production car at Summit Point. Good times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WILWAXU (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:00 AM

Thanked 1,333 Times in 496 Posts

Can you diamond coat differential gears to make them quiet ?
The Following User Says Thank You to clill For This Useful Post:
69hugger (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the post. Sorry I have not tried any of your coatings.

Yes I was part of HPVO (High Performace Vehicle Operations) when the CTSVs were being developed. Great cars!

Dave Mikels who sometime posts on here was also on the team and developed the system that keeps that car from Power Hopping.

Added is me driving a Pre-production car at Summit Point. Good times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just want to say thanks for the wealth of info that you share with your builds. I'm currently redoing my 1960 Impala hardtop and your clutch geometry explanation has been a god send. I actually had a used 4th gen pedal assembly from a T56 I bought to copy and I made a firewall bracket like the detriot speed.
Name:  20200416_134857.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  113.1 KB

Also thank you for helping develop one of the the best American sedans ever built. They kinda have a soft place in my I owned a gen 1, moved to a gen 2, then things got out of hand...
Name:  20171118_153649.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  90.9 KB

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Last edited by flyingv; 04-23-2020 at 10:36 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flyingv For This Useful Post:
camcojb (04-19-2020), fleetus macmullitz (04-19-2020), WILWAXU (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
For those interested.... One of the most challenging engineering projects I have had in my professional career.

BTW - FCA pays GM for every Hello-Kitty and the other performance cars in their line up to utilize this patent on their vehicles.

Regards
Dave

https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNu...%3DIN%2Fmikels
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mikels For This Useful Post:
BonzoHansen (04-19-2020), camcojb (04-19-2020), Che70velle (04-23-2020), clill (04-19-2020), dhutton (04-19-2020), fleetus macmullitz (04-19-2020), jmac (04-19-2020), WILWAXU (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 03:55 PM

And FCA still screwed it up from what I've seen ... grenaded rear ends and such
Old 04-20-2020, 02:59 AM

Thanks for sharing Mark and Mike. It's these kind of systems projects that make for very difficult yet rewarding challenges. Nicely done fellas.

There is so much talk about how easy it is to make 800-1000hp, but to make it live reliably on-track then drive it home is a whole different monster than 1/4-mile at a time or short blips on the street.

Mike, I'd love to hear about your project sometime....
Old 04-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Thank you for the informative post Mark. I have followed your builds and paid particular attention to cooling for track durability.

Background:

Mercury Racing SB4 - running this C&R radiator (link below)with the 13 plate EOC and PSC. Added an Accusump, remote therm and filter into the circuit which should bring some added cooling capacity with volume and oil starvation insurance. Also larger remote PS reservoir. The MR ECU controls the fans. Vaporworx for PWM fuel delivery. I will have to watch for any radiator failures as I did not isolate(floating) the mounting as you have.

Added trans cooler with T56 internal pump. Diff gears are REM treated but no cooler thus far. We'll see how it does. Will monitor every temp with a Motec dash logger.

Q: Is the C&R radiator with integrated PSC and EOC the same capacity/specs on the 'Mark Stielow spec' or different?

https://www.crracing.com/product/che...l-11-spal-fans

Last edited by cjfirstgen; 04-20-2020 at 08:38 AM.