Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2021, 12:10 PM

Default Looking to make my own 3/4 way coilovers

this might be the wrong forum but id like to get pointed to the right forum if it isn't

I'm looking to make my own 3 way (prefer 4 way) coil overs for forest stage rally racing.
i know what you're thinking why not just buy some already made. there aren't any currently on the market that would work on my land rover LR2 for this application.

sure I could work with a known company and I am for my main set of coilovers (ceika)

there is a guy local to me that makes custom suspension for Polaris Rangers, I'm wanting to gather enough information and education so i can bounce ideas and measurements back and forth between us to achieve the best possible setup.

so far what I've gathered is that i want to use Bilstein internals. Would it be even possible to convert a Bilstein set from gas to oil cooled? how could i make it where the dampining is adjustable by a key inserted into the top rather than a special bilsein wrench.
also I would like for the strut to in the inverted configuration.

call me crazy but I know what money we're looking at here. $7,000-$12,000 maybe even cheaper if I can use a few off the shelf extremly high quality parts.

thanks for the replies.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:19 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I'm not sure you'll find the information you need here. You may want to try www.ih8mud.com. They are an offroad toyota focused forum but they know their stuff.

Good luck to you.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims