Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-14-2016, 02:08 AM

Default My 2000 Camaro SS rebuild

So, it all started when I was browsing Autotrader while I was working at Office Max and PSC in May of 2005.
I had a 97 Camaro RS and loved it, but was getting the itch to have another V8 Camaro. I liked the SS for many reasons, the LS1 being obvious. The exterior had me in love. I'll be honest, at the time I didn't know **** about the options of the cars and what I wanted . . . except that I wanted an SS lol
I found 2 Camaro's in Sacramento in my price range; the first was a 2002 Camaro SS, black on black and was fully optioned with only 26k and they wanted almost 30k for it. But it was a manual trans and at the time I wasn't very comfortable with driving a manual. Just up the road literally from that one, was a 2000 Camaro SS. It wasn't fully optioned at all; no T-tops, no traction control, no leather, but it was an automatic. It had 55k and the price online was $14,999. I decided to call on it and the sales person I spoke with had said the car was priced at $19,999. When I pointed out how much it was listed for online, he showed it to his manager and came back to the phone and said if I came down within 24 hours they would honor the price I saw for.
The next morning, I drove my 97 up to Sac to trade it in and purchase the 2000 as it was $15k less than the black SS. I showed up around 9am, checked out the car and knew I wanted it. The car was bone stock, except for the ****ty tint on the side windows and rear window which all 3 darkness's were different lol 10 hours later I finally drove home with the SS hahahaha not sure why it took so long, but I didn't care because the car was mine.

The first thing I did to the car, was name her (each Camaro I've had did receive a name) the red body with the black hardtop for some reason made me think of a sexy Latina named Isabella. The next things I did was remove the crappy tint, the stupid pin stripes on both sides and replaced all the speakers in the car as they were blown.
The first performance mod I did to the car was SLP Loudmouth I and SLP Y-pipe to replace the flattened Y-pipe. I noticed a small SOTP difference and the sound was soo much better. Next came the SLP lid, Smooth Bellows and 85mm MAF and a ****ty tune from Newtech Performance in Hayward.
Soon after, the stock exterior was needing attention. So, I started where most do . . . I lowered the bitch lol I went with the Eibach ProKit and couldn't have been happier at the time. Also did LCA's and a double adjustable PHB to bring the ass back to center. Of course I wasn't done with the exterior yet. Even though she was a hardtop SS (it wasn't until after I sold her did I find out how rare the car was) I wanted her to stand out more. Stripes were the route I chose and the stripes I chose were the SLP/Berger style stripes from PheonixGraphix. Wow did they make a world of a difference and with the Berger panel with the body color letters, the car turned heads wherever she went. To this day I have never seen another Camaro SS with those stripes in person, let alone with a body color hardtop (I had that painted to further the uniqueness.)

I finally wanted to do something different with the wheels and IMO the only wheels I thought looked best was the competition grey c5 z06 wheels. When I found a set that had tires I had to have them, the seller told me they were GM wheels, so I was very excited. When I got to his house, I looked at the wheels for the GM stampings, no stampings we were to trade wheels and I was to give him $100 as they were real c5 z06 wheels. His wheels were flawless (other than being OEwheels) with tires worn to the cords literally and my wheels had some curb-rash, but had brand new rubber. I wanted the wheel so bad I said **** it and did the deal. I don't regret it one bit to this day. The wheels made the car look even better than it did and once I got new rubber on them, it was much more fun to drive!

Old 10-14-2016, 02:09 AM

The last thing I put on the car was a dual exhaust valance from 6le and I was so happy with it :hump::hump: the car's exterior was complete in my opinion.

In 2012, I decided the job I had was a dead end and I needed a career as my gf and I were getting serious. I sold the car to a member on another forum. I had kept in contact with him ever since I sold it to check on the car, I had even told my gf that if the car ever were to go up or sale I want to buy it back.
Since I sold it, I have had a 2006 Pontiac GTO M6. I took it from stock to suspension was fixed and handled soo much better, removed the mufflers and added in a short-through with a new clutch kit. It never turned heads lik the SS did and i never once walked away from it and turned back to look at her beauty. Plus each GTO gtg I went to, there would be 3 or 4 other GTO's very similar to mine and I didn't like that. Wel sold the GTO in February and bought our 15 Durango SXT for my wife and decided at some point I'd have my fun car again.
This past July, I sent him a text like I did yearly to see how he was and how he car was. To my surprise, he was about to sell the car!!! I said I wanted it and after a few weeks she was on her way back to California to be with me again Under his ownership, work was done by a well known performance shop in So-Cal and interior work by a well known shop in LA.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:10 AM

This is how the car looked for him

I'm picky for numbers being correct on a car, needless to say this bothered me. In 2000 the SS was rated at 320hp, not 325hp

I'm not a fan of the wheels, the body kit I'm unsure if it'll stay on, the side stripes are hideous, the clear markers and headlights look cheap and the tear drop on the hood has crinkles in it from someone who doesn't know how to apply decals properly. Needless to stay the exterior will go back to exactly how it looked when I had it. It'll take time, but it'll go back to how it was.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:12 AM

And the first mod all over again lol

The SS emblems were replaced at some point and whoever did it must suck at life or just doesn't care how and where the emblems are supposed to go. The side fender emblems are touching each other and the rear SS emblem on the panel is ****ed . . . one of the S's was practically falling off So, in addition to removing the side stripes and hood tear drop, the SS emblems will be removed until I purchase new emblems to put in the correct positions.

I'll get her all cleaned up this weekend and post more pics.

So far I've removed the SS emblems, I still need to remove the hockey stripes, hood tear drop and clear corners but I'm in no rush since it just sits in the garage the majority of the time lol
Last night I went to a car meet for the first time with this car in almost 5 years. I only took pics before my buddy and I went, next time I'm taking pics when I'm there. There were a few hundred cars there and close to 10 cop cars. There was the usual engine revving every now and then, some burnouts but thankfully no donuts. I was surprised to see the cops didn't come up to anyone, but they were a few hundred yards away.
Here are the only pics I got last night

Old 10-14-2016, 02:13 AM

Got a little bit of work in tonight, took all of a minute but with a 10 month old walking around and getting in mischief already I can't really do to much when her mom is at work lol
Body kit on and SS emblem removed

Side skirt and SS emblem removed

Both sides are held in by screws and no adhesive at all thank God. I hope the front and rear panels are the same way with no adhesive. The screws they used were small enough that the holes they left were tiny and won't be easily noticeable.
Got the driver side and rear valance off. The front is unscrewed, I just need to slowly remove the adhesive and get it off the car . . . it looks so much better without the side skirts and rear valance, I'm much happier with how it's starting to look like my old car. Still have a ways to go to get her back to exactly how she was when she left me.

Old 10-14-2016, 02:16 AM

So, I've decided to work on the interior lights. My shifter console light doesn't work at all, the are a few lights that are out on the gauge cluster as well. I remember there being lights in the door panels also, if so those are not working either.
Tonight I brought some wiring tools home from work, after seeing the wiring job CMS did on other portions of the car I was 101% sure I'd have to fix their **** up. And hey guess what I was right! The bulb to the shifter console light bulb is blown, light bulbs blow no big deal. But what I found here was interesting to say the least. Whoever decided to tap into a wire for a toggle switch apparently doesn't know how to splice wires correctly . . . not like their wiring was any better other places on the car After unraveling electrical tape I find this

Couldn't even get the copper all the way in

So, I removed the wire for the toggle switch as I no longer have use for it, cut the copper, strip the casing a bit and install a heat shrink butt connector.

And then use my handy dandy torch to seal it

Still can't get the stupid bulb out though I've tried my bare fingers, didn't get a good grip. Tried putting electrical tape around it and pulling with my fingers, no go. Tried putting a micro fiber clutch on it and pulling, still no luck. Right now the lower and upper center console are just sitting in the passenger seat anyway because I need to figure out why when I pull my handbrake, the brake light doesn't come on, but when I cycle the key to on it comes on then and then turns off. Tomorrow's mission once I get stuff around the house done and my daughter off to day care.
Once I got some adhesive on it I was able to rock it back and forth while I pulled it out, put the new bulb and we have light now! The next set of lights that didn't work were the lighting in the HVAC controls. I removed the trim and thought "hey since nothing bad is happening I'll move the Fog lamp button and ASR button and center the Camaro clip" tabs broke on each slot lol Ok so once I removed the HVAC controls I twisted out the housings for the bulbs and shock shock, they were blown. If the guy never replaced the HVAC controls these are the original that came in the car from 2000, if so I'd say those bulbs lasted.

I'll take these to work with me to get them out.
Old 10-14-2016, 02:16 AM

Well I found the easiest way to remove those bulbs, use a small pair of needle nose pliers and grab onto the bulb, break it and use the needle nose pliers to pull the base out. Obviously have the harness unconnected from the car lol Now my HVAC and shifter console lights work correctly. But the plastic was so brittle on the stereo/HVAC bezel that trying to move the Fog light switch and ASR button broke the clips right away. So eventually I need to replace my whole center console, dash pad because it is crack and whole dash because of this

That big of a whole for a few 18 gauge wires