Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 06-23-2012, 04:50 PM

Great set up! I too would love their 221 TIG. I've only heard great things about HTP and would be my first choice in an inverter TIG for the price. At least a grand less than a Miller Dynasty 200.

Let us know how it goes..

Wes
Old 06-23-2012, 10:26 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

If you can gas weld you can TIG.... exact same hand movements except you don't move the torch in a small circle - you step forward and back - dip on the backstroke - move the puddle forward - back up the torch and dip... it's just a hand dance.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparCar View Post
Great set up! I too would love their 221 TIG. I've only heard great things about HTP and would be my first choice in an inverter TIG for the price. At least a grand less than a Miller Dynasty 200.

Let us know how it goes.

Wes
Thanks Wes, I'll keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
If you can gas weld you can TIG.... exact same hand movements except you don't move the torch in a small circle - you step forward and back - dip on the backstroke - move the puddle forward - back up the torch and dip... it's just a hand dance.

Thanks for the tips, I'm looking forward to experimenting with puddle movement. Starting with scraps of steel, aluminum, and stainless sheet.
Hopefully I catch on after a few hours of experimentation.

Just finished installing a dedicated 50a 250V circuit in garage for the equipment so I'll be ready to roll tomorrow afternoon.

It will be nice to have a MIG with horsepower for a change and a TIG to produce artwork quality beads........sadly (and hopefully) I won't be able to blame mediocre welds on the equipment anymore.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:

Last night was the first night of practice........

You left out the step: over to the bench to re-grind the tungsten. It took the dog a few re-grinds before he figured out I mad at myself not him.

Found a $30 3" bench grinder at Harbor Freight that works decent, hopefully I can find a finer wheel for it. Quiet and smooth........so far.

Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Last night was the first night of practice........

You left out the step: over to the bench to re-grind the tungsten. It took the dog a few re-grinds before he figured out I mad at myself not him.

Found a $30 3" bench grinder at Harbor Freight that works decent, hopefully I can find a finer wheel for it. Quiet and smooth........so far.

Oh trust me -- you'll be doing a LOT of tungsten pointing!

Are you that old - or do you just have that many people in the shop - that you had to sticky note the grinder?

Here's what I do on all my tungsten --- I bite the bullet and sharpen them all - all sizes - all types.... then when I FOU I just toss it in the drawer and grab another.... when I have a few I point 'em.

The real key to TIG is being able to SEE..... and a one lens helmet don't cut it... pee away another chunk of dough and get yourself a real helmet with adjustment from about 5 to 12+.... 'cause when you're doing thin stuff and only using 30 amps -- ya got to be able to see!

http://www.amazon.com/Sperian-Optrel...832387&sr=1-80
Old 06-27-2012, 04:30 PM

Also --- please where a particulate mask when grinding tungsten....

AND --- Never clean ANYTHING with CHLORINATED ANYTHING.... if you use brake cleaner - use NON-Chlorinated....

Denatured alcohol works well.

2 KEYs TO TIG.... CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.... and then be sure it's CLEAN and TIGHT fit up.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Oh trust me -- you'll be doing a LOT of tungsten pointing!

Are you that old - or do you just have that many people in the shop - that you had to sticky note the grinder?
Especially at my age!

Quote:
Here's what I do on all my tungsten --- I bite the bullet and sharpen them all - all sizes - all types.... then when I FOU I just toss it in the drawer and grab another.... when I have a few I point 'em.
I like that strategy, though the cool down period after contaminating another tungsten isn't a bad thing.

Quote:
The real key to TIG is being able to SEE..... and a one lens helmet don't cut it... pee away another chunk of dough and get yourself a real helmet with adjustment from about 5 to 12+.... 'cause when you're doing thin stuff and only using 30 amps -- ya got to be able to see!
Thanks to your previous posts Optrel, my current helmet goes down to 9 and I've been running 35-80 amps and visibility isn't too bad surprisingly. The same helmet impairs vision to a degree when MIG welding.

It doesn't qualify for Prime, WTF!!!

Might be worth it since a friend told me tonight that I'm no good unless I can TIG beer cans together end to end.

Quote:
Also --- please where a particulate mask when grinding tungsten....

AND --- Never clean ANYTHING with CHLORINATED ANYTHING.... if you use brake cleaner - use NON-Chlorinated....

Denatured alcohol works well.

2 KEYs TO TIG.... CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN.... and then be sure it's CLEAN and TIGHT fit up.
Thank you
Old 06-28-2012, 06:44 AM

Any pictures of your HTP equipment? I assuming it has arrived?

Wes
Old 06-28-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoparCar View Post
Any pictures of your HTP equipment? I assuming it has arrived?

Wes
https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...9&postcount=20
Old 06-30-2012, 10:21 AM

Okay - Now let's see your little stack of dimes!