Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 03-12-2024, 12:24 PM

Default Duel master brake bias set up????

When using duel masters, one for front, one for rear, how do you guys adjust your bias bar and how do you know it's right?
Anyone used a brake pressure gauge to set front & rear bias?
I'd like to learn all I can on this topic
This is on a Factory Five '33 Hot Rod
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 03-13-2024, 08:10 AM

Probably better/easier ways, but I can tell you how I do it. I'll start with an 1/8 of tank of gas. I want the rear as light as it would ever be when normally driving. I put a white shoe polish mark on the front and rear tires. I'll find a deserted spot (country road, parking lot, etc...) and with someone to watch (video with phone). I'll do a hard stop from about 30 mph. You're looking for the front tires to lock up (mark on tires let you see this) right before the back. You'll feel it lock up, and as soon as you do, release the brakes so you don't flat spot or spin. You just need that split second to look at the video to see which one locked first. Once I get it set where the front locks right before the rear, I'll recheck at a higher speed.

Like I said, probably better/easier ways, but I feel like this method takes into account all the vehicle dynamics and actually replicates a panic stop in a controlled environment. I'd rather spin in a parking lot than in an emergency situation or coming into a tight corner on the track.

As far as the bias adjustment, the pointy end drivers take advantage of the weight from a full fuel tank by adjusting some bias to the rear, and then adjusting back forward as fuel burns off. You can also play with the bias adjustment to suit your trail braking through the corners.

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJD Automotive For This Useful Post:
68454RS (03-13-2024), camcojb (03-13-2024)