Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2018, 11:04 PM

Default DSE engine mount/header question

I'm sure this has been asked before but my searches don't turn up anything...I'm running a DSE subframe with their 1.5" setback LS engine mounts and would like to know if anyone is running the Hooker Blackheart SS long tube headers? I called Holley and they couldn't say with much confidence whether they'd fit or not. The main concern being that in the DSE/Holley setup, the driver side header has a couple of tubes that wrap around the steering shaft and it seems conceivable that, with the setback, it could put the shaft running "through" the tube(s). Thanks!
Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM

Don't know who you talked to but they have specific fitments for dse frames. There is a check down box on the first gen header page that lists dse frame or stock frame. I have not used a set so I can't say how well they fit.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:56 PM

Yeah, they do offer fitment for the DSE frame but no one there can tell me if the fitment is for the stock location engine mounts and/or the 1.5" setback mounts. I may just order a set and test fit them and send them back if they don't fit.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:45 PM

I have those headers, but havent installed them yet. I was told by holley that they would fit either mount. I have run the stainless works headers on my old DSE subframe, and they fit nicely in the stock location, but hit the toeboard with the setback mounts. I wish I could help more, but Im quite a ways away from installing the hookers. Scott
Old 04-16-2018, 11:14 PM

Get a set of Ultimate mid length headers and not worry about it. I doubt you would notice the difference between the mids and long tubes.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06vette View Post
I have those headers, but havent installed them yet. I was told by holley that they would fit either mount. I have run the stainless works headers on my old DSE subframe, and they fit nicely in the stock location, but hit the toeboard with the setback mounts. I wish I could help more, but Im quite a ways away from installing the hookers. Scott
Scott, thanks for the input! I think I may chance it and see what happens. One quick question, though, are you happy with the quality of rhe headers as they appear? Is there anything you don't like about them? Thanks
Old 05-31-2018, 12:41 AM

I have them on my car and they fit. I laid them side by side with a DSE header. They are nearly identical. There were a couple of bends on the DSE header that weren't as tight and may flow marginally better. Quality wise they are a nice part. I sold my DSE headers only after making sure the Holley fit.

Another benefit is that the collector is straight and doesn't have the angled Vband that DSE uses. I have the Holley blackheard header back exhaust that is designed to work with the quadra link. Everything fit with no cutting. The only cuts I made to the entire system were on the tailpipes so they didn't stick out below the rear valance.

1971 Camaro 416 LT1 Project
Old 06-02-2018, 03:22 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitch19 View Post
I have them on my car and they fit. I laid them side by side with a DSE header. They are nearly identical. There were a couple of bends on the DSE header that weren't as tight and may flow marginally better. Quality wise they are a nice part. I sold my DSE headers only after making sure the Holley fit.

Another benefit is that the collector is straight and doesn't have the angled Vband that DSE uses. I have the Holley blackheard header back exhaust that is designed to work with the quadra link. Everything fit with no cutting. The only cuts I made to the entire system were on the tailpipes so they didn't stick out below the rear valance.
Jason are you satisfied with this exhaust,looks like a nice setup
Old 06-02-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbed69 View Post
Jason are you satisfied with this exhaust,looks like a nice setup
Yes I am. It's really hard to beat. We've done one off exhaust systems and it costs 2-3x what the holley kit costs.

1971 Camaro 416 LT1 Project
Old 06-02-2018, 09:03 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitch19 View Post
Yes I am. It's really hard to beat. We've done one off exhaust systems and it costs 2-3x what the holley kit costs.
Thanks for your reply,I thought it looked great plus there are no really good custom exhaust builders anywhere near me and the price looks good,thanks again.