Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Shop & Equipment
User Name
Password

Old 09-05-2018, 08:32 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynieZ View Post
That looks good but for right now I think I try a few little brackets and not fry myself. lol I like the addition of the top shelf.
My son in law looked as happy that I got it as I am. He just took a welding class with his brother last year at my alma mater (Diman Voc), he did really well.
Some one told me they went to fill a bottle for their welder and Air Gas refused to fill it because he didn't buy it there. It is current on it's cert, I just wondering if any one of you had a problem like this. I was going to buy a used bottle but don't want any head aches later on.
I'd ask to see if the used bottle needs a hydro (should be done every 5-10 years, depending on what your using). Normally they will take the used bottle on a swap and add the hydro fee if it's out of date.

For example:

16) DOT-3A or 3AA cylinders.

(i) A cylinder made in conformance with specification DOT-3A or 3AA with a water capacity of 125 pounds or less that is removed from any cluster, bank, group, rack or vehicle each time it is filled, may be retested every ten years instead of every five years, provided the cylinder complies with all of the following-

(A) The cylinder was manufactured after December 31, 1945;

(B) The cylinder is used exclusively for air, argon, cyclopropane, ethylene, helium, hydrogen, krypton, neon, nitrogen, nitrous oxide, oxygen, sulfur hexafluoride, xenon, permitted mixtures of these gases (see §173.301(a)) and permitted mixtures of these gases with up to 30 percent by volume of carbon dioxide, provided that the gas has a dew point at or below minus 52° F at 1 atmosphere;
See: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/173.306

Other than that, never had a problem getting a bottle filled.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:41 PM

Thanks Joe
The one I was looking at was tested in 2015 so it would be good. I thought it was weird he said they wouldn't fill it for him. Maybe it had another gas company's name on the bottle? It is 80cf. I checked Airgas for a bottle on line it said $65, but I doubt that's the price.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynieZ View Post
Thanks Joe
The one I was looking at was tested in 2015 so it would be good. I thought it was weird he said they wouldn't fill it for him. Maybe it had another gas company's name on the bottle? It is 80cf. I checked Airgas for a bottle on line it said $65, but I doubt that's the price.
I have never run into an issue with Airgas and a bottle with another company name on it. In fact, I think my current TIG bottle has WSI.

I'd simply ask your local Airgas dealer. I suspect that as long as the bottle passes a visual and is within a hydro test period, you should be good to go.

There is nothing funky about the tank itself, correct? Just a standard 80cf steel tank, correct?

Old 09-06-2018, 07:57 PM

No, it looks good to me, I'll have to call them and check. It couldn't hurt..

Old 09-09-2018, 10:53 PM

I'm going to end up with the gas cylinder I was looking at. It's good until 2024 but it's bigger than I thought. I's a 125 CF and it's full with 75% Argon and 25% carbon dioxide, plus it's from Air gas customer owned.