Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Project Updates
User Name
Password

Old 10-24-2013, 12:08 PM

Default 1985 Monte Carlo SS known as Barney

This has been my 6 year long build, that has been finished a couple of times already...but has recently gone back under the knife once again.

My current list of accomplishments and mods are as follows:

Completely restored everything but the top sides of the frame rails and the paint
GMPP HT383 fed by the stock CCC Q-jet and Carb, 402 ft lbs, 284 hp to the rear tires
T56 out of a 1999 Camaro
Custom 3.5" drivershaft
Quick Performance 9" with disc brakes, 3:50 gear
All suspension pivot points are delrin, front UCAs DSE, LCAs Ridetech, Rear Control arms all UMI with roto joints
36mm F-body sway bar up front, 1" Hotchkiss LCA mounted rear sway bar
Ridetech TQ coilover shocks, 3.6" travel up front, 6.9" travel out back
Hypercoil springs, 8" 600# front, 12" 162# rear
Street rims are Billet Specialties Reallys 17x8, 17x9.5, rubber will end up being Rivals once BFG makes some wide enough
Track rims are 16x8 ZQ8s with Hoosier A6s
Interior mods include Dakota Dash VHX gauges, Retrosound head unit, 2005 GTO seats, sound deadening and new carpet

I'm sure I've forgot some things as well, but that's pretty much the car as it currently sits.

Overall it's a great driving car, wouldn't be afraid to take it on a long road trip at all. It's very comfortable and the suspension tweaks done on it for autocross competing have only helped it's street manners. I am trying to strike a fine balance between a street car and a track car. This has held me up a bit on track days in the near future as I'm concerned about the 28 year old stock restraint system in place with the speeds it will now obtain on the big tracks. I'm still undecided what to do in that area. Don't really want to cage the car, but might consider a 4 point bar and a harness or maybe even some door bars in the future.

Only other really pressing need is replacement body bushings. The stock rubber bushings still appear okay, but let the frame flex WAY too much for the spirited driving the car sees. This will be my main winter project, along with upgrading the front brake package.

I have a ton of pictures of the car, if there are any mods you'd like to see pictures of, just ask.

Here's a pic of me throwing the car around the autocross course a month or so ago just because...

Old 10-24-2013, 12:15 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Lance, sounds like you've done alot to the car. Keep us posted. Also, more pics too.

Old 10-24-2013, 12:54 PM

I've always love these car's & GN's too.Can't wait too see more.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 PM

Here is the car on the chassis dyno back in March

http://youtu.be/3pPVd_peuuA

Here's the readout.

It detonated about 4250 RPM and the ECM pulled out some timing and that affected the numbers. I have since tuned on the secondaries on the carb to fatten it up and that stopped the pinging, but haven't put it back on the dyno since to see what it would do now.

Test run after fiddling with the hanger and rods and the air valve opened up some more.

http://youtu.be/3KT10XdoBJg

I don't think that's too shabby considering it's got a CCC Q-jet and distributor from a 1985 180 hp 305 feeding it. This engine setup is the perfect match for the T56 to me. It builds a ton of torque down low and never skips, misses, stumbles or hesitates...when you ask for it, it's there...every time. In fact, they had to put traction aide on the tires after the first dyno pull because it spun the tires on the dyno wheels. Video... http://youtu.be/dgBGSwuDXjc

Yet you can cruise down the highway at 65 MPH, turning 1650 RPM in 6th and get almost 20 mpg.

EFI, we don't need no stinking EFI...
Old 10-24-2013, 01:55 PM

and here are the autocross runs from my first time out with Ron Sutton's Stage 1 setup under the car. I just kept running it harder and harder on each run, and it just kept getting faster.

http://youtu.be/N3ggkP3P_tE

I can't wait to see how it does this Sunday with Stage 2 under it.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:12 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Nice to see something different running hard.

Good luck tomorrow Lance

Can't wait to see how stage II works out.

https://lateral-g.net/forums/show...10645&page=171

Old 10-28-2018, 01:36 PM

Very cool Lance Damn that looks like a workout!

How many gears do you use 1 through 3?

Thank you for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 68 Torino
Old 10-28-2018, 03:37 PM

Looks to be handling very well! Now it’s time for some HP. Ha
Old 10-28-2018, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead View Post
Very cool Lance Damn that looks like a workout!

How many gears do you use 1 through 3?

Thank you for sharing
You are welcome...always enjoy sharing our fun on course!! We typically get into 2nd gear and leave it there for these types of courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
Looks to be handling very well! Now it’s time for some HP. Ha
Thanks! Wait until I post the faster videos after we tuned on it for a bit.

I read your reply to my wife and she politely disagreed with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to SSLance For This Useful Post:
jarhead (10-28-2018)
Old 10-28-2018, 07:32 PM

After our first initial runs, Mike and I debriefed about what changes we thought it needed. Because we were co-driving in the same heat in run group 2 and run group 3, shock changes were really all we had time to do between runs.

The back was hopping in the two sweepers and we wanted to work on that first. Basically the inside rear tire was lifting which de-cambered the outside rear which would slip and loose grip setting the inside rear on the ground again where it would then lift again, rinse and repeat. It wasn't step out and spin loose but it was unsettling especially to Mike since he'd never driven the car and wasn't sure what it was going to do.

We started by taking 4 clicks of rebound out of the rear shocks and each made a run. It was better, maybe 60-70% better... After the next runs I took 2 more clicks of rebound out of the rears making it very comfortable.

Here were my fastest timed run and Mike's fastest time run.

We then decided that it was pushing a bit if we didn't get completley off of the brakes before turning in after the one big braking zone...so we took 2 clicks of compression out of the front shocks and that helped some. In hindsight, I should have put more rear brake in as well...that would have helped to keep from locking the inside front tire up. Will try that next event.

Here are my fastest Time only run as well as Mike's. I didn't get a time on that run and that was disappointing because I felt it was a good one. Mike's was the fastest of all of our runs and later on I'll lay them side by side in a video just to see if I was close to his blazing fast time.

Overall the car did great. Mike's last run was a half second faster than Tommy's Camaro which regularly is 1 - 1.5 seconds faster than me. I was only a few tenths off Tommy in the fastest scored run and possibly faster in my run with no time.

I can't wait to tune on it a bit more at one more local event before hitting Good Guys and then changing everything to try to make it work on that style of course. I know this...it won't have the body roll that it had there last spring, that's for sure...