Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Brakes
User Name
Password

Old 09-15-2019, 05:48 PM

Default Grinding/rubbing/squealing from rear FNSL and BP30's

I have 4-piston FNSL and Spec 37's on the rear of my Firebird track/street car. I had BP10's in all calipers (fronts are Aerolite 6's) for my first track day in May. The brakes performed ok, but I wanted more response for the street and track. I went to a DSE booster and Master cylinder (was a manual Wilwood) and BP30's. I scuffed the rotors with 80 grit before changing pads and bedded them in before my last track day in August. I now love the feel of the brakes, but I'm getting an annoying grinding/rubbing/squeal from the rears. I hear it when I am pulling up to a stop and probably slow to between 5-7 miles an hour. It isn't heard when I am on the brakes....only when coasting. If it starts, I can make it leave by applying the brakes. My rotors had a weird look to them after my last track day and didn't have a uniform burnished look to them. I scuffed the rotors again, but the sound is still there.The sound has been there since I changed pads no matter what I have done. Could it be the pad-rotor interface, of maybe I need to lube some contact points? Thoughts?
Old 09-16-2019, 07:44 AM

I assume your not using a C clip rear and fixed calipers? If so, have you measured rotor runout? Sounds like maybe a warped rotor. If that's good, have you verified the rotor is centered in the caliper? Could be a pad dragging slightly due to the caliper being off center.

Are you running a hat with integrated E-brake?

www.CJDAUTOMOTIVE.com

"I own a Mopar, so I already know it won't be in stock, won't ship tomorrow, and won't actually fit without modification."
Old 09-16-2019, 10:46 AM

Strange-built non-floating 9" with S-track diff. I am using the integrated E-brake. I already had a problem with that....one of the retractor springs broke. I suspect it was from rubbing/vibrating on the heads of my ARP screw-in studs (also causing a high-pitched squealing). I replaced the spring (Ford Explorer kit) and clearanced the heads of the studs. Something is still causing a faint squeal at low speed, but the current noise when coming to a stop is much louder and noticable. I aren't checked rotor run out and I don't remember doing much to center my rotors other than eye-balling it. I plan on digging into it tonight. No problems coming from the front. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2019, 08:27 AM

Pulled the passenger side wheel last night and started looking around. There is nearly no gap between the pads nad the rotor on either side. However, I noticed a witness mark on my frame rail and started to look around. I have a crushed section of copper line that is basically at the fitting where the hard line meets the SS flex line. It looks like the tab I welded on to the axle tube as well as the copper line itself have contacted the frame when the rear suspension on that side bottomed out. I suspect it is at a section of the track (Autobahn) that is called "The Jump". Luckily no leak and the drivers side is ok, but probably contributing to my problem!