Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 09-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
We just got it all figured out! It turns out that my distributor is locked out. I don't have any mechanical advance on my car at all. So with that being said my car is trying to start at 38 digress total advance. Causing the starter kick back.MSD makes a Starter Saver that retards the timing 10 -20 digress . It works like a charm . We just literally got it done today !
I personally have used the computer controlled timing going back to my old commander 950 setup in 2004. Simplifies everything ( once programmed) no other boxes needed. Heck, you already have a locked distributor. With my new HP setup I'm going to even go distributorless, and that's on an old Pontiac mill.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:23 PM

I had no idea how this stuff works . I've been reading and learning more and more about what you can and can't do and it can be a tad bit overwhelming. Just wish I did it before I had the system installed I would have done a lot of things different that's for sure.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:29 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

Mario,

The distributor is SUPPOSED to be locked out. The timing is handled by the ECU!!!

There is a place in the software where you can set timing while cranking...

Don't take this the wrong way, but please take your car to someone that knows EFI inside and out before something bad happens...

Andrew
Old 09-11-2017, 04:37 PM

It's funny how after one is exposed to anything long enough, we tend to think of it as common knowledge, but that is certainly not the case. Good thing there is always something else out there to remind us. (And humble us). That is why we are all on this forum, for there is someone with experience out there to throw us a lifeline.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-11-2017 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:56 PM

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Mario,

The distributor is SUPPOSED to be locked out. The timing is handled by the ECU!!!

Don't take this the wrong way, but please take your car to someone that knows EFI inside and out before something bad happens...

Andrew

Couldn't agree more. This is not for beginners to learn on --- you can ruin a motor in nothing flat.

Okay to learn to do certain things --- idle adjustments -- open pages and look at fueling -- or learn to understand what the IAC or O2 sensor is telling you... so you don't have to have a pro every time you want to make a minor adjustment to one or two items.

Not sure who tuned this in the first place ----- maybe we don't want to know --- but cold and hot start is all part of that tune ---- if it didn't happen - then please don't recommend them.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
....MSD makes a Starter Saver that retards the timing 10 -20 digress . It works like a charm . We just literally got it done today !
Wow...
Old 09-12-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
Mario,

Andrew
Andrew that's exactly what I did. My car was at one of the top tuners in the country !!!!! And this was how I got my car back. It took my nephews tuner who does of all things drag boats and snowmobiles, 5 minutes to figure out my Holley system wasn't controlling my timing . He retarded the timing and the car started perfect . It's frustrating as F@CK I can tell you that . We are taking it tomorrow to my nephews tuner he rented some dyno time at his friends place . So will see what happens.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Andrew that's exactly what I did. My car was at one of the top tuners in the country !!!!! And this was how I got my car back. It took my nephews tuner who does of all things drag boats and snowmobiles, 5 minutes to figure out my Holley system wasn't controlling my timing . He retarded the timing and the car started perfect . It's frustrating as F@CK I can tell you that . We are taking it tomorrow to my nephews tuner he rented some dyno time at his friends place . So will see what happens.
If the Dominator was not controlling timing, then something is wrong with the installation. In other words, the wiring is most likely not set-up properly in order for the ECU to control whatever style of ignition is being used. The Holley supports many different popular ignition options, but they must be a) wired correctly, and b) subsequently configured properly in the ECU.

I hope that whoever works on it next can do both a and b.

Good luck!

Andrew
Old 09-13-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
If I had a dime for every time I heard this I'd be living in Beverly Hills CA.
Unfortunately there are still more crappy tuners out there than maybe we think.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeefi View Post
If I had a dime for every time I heard this I'd be living in Beverly Hills CA.
Unfortunately there are still more crappy tuners out there than maybe we think.
Mark you have no idea! My car has been to three tuners . The last one got the car running awesome . That is when you can finally get it started. So you ask,'' Was it doing this when you had it?????????'' Of course it wasn't!!!!!! HOW THE F@CK CAN IT NOT ITS TRYING TO START AT 38 DEGRESS ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We go to the dyno tomorrow My nephews guy has the place rented for the afternoon. This will be the first time I'm going so I can see for myself that everything is good to go.

Last edited by DOOM; 09-13-2017 at 12:57 PM.