Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 01-18-2007, 07:28 PM

The big rotor craze is just that. Look at the sizes that wilwood sells with their Road race kits. Not 14". I bought the road race kit for my mustang and it was 13" fronts with 12" rears. Now pads that is whole other story....
Old 01-18-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlbtu
I ran a 4 piston 12" rotor in my NASCAR LMS racing days. I raced on a 1/4 mi paved oval. My rotors would be gloing red after 10 laps... and they worked great. I think these huge rotor/caliper combos are way over rated in my humble opinion...
I couldn't agree more. I ran a NASCAR LMS on a half mile oval at speeds reaching 105 at the end of the straights. I was on the binders 2 times a lap for 50 laps. NO FADE with 12" rotors and 4 piston Wilwood calipers. The brake craze is more the COOL factor than required performance.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 01-19-2007, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoneal
Caliper width. The first link is for the "Narrow body" caliper and the second link is for the standard "first design body" caliper. Other than that, they are pretty much the same thing. The narrow body allows you to run this caliper in wheels that have 'clearance' issues with the caliper.
Old 01-19-2007, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane
Caliper width. The first link is for the "Narrow body" caliper and the second link is for the standard "first design body" caliper. Other than that, they are pretty much the same thing. The narrow body allows you to run this caliper in wheels that have 'clearance' issues with the caliper.
All that AND, the 6R14 has a larger bridge radius (the caliper is built around a bigger radius to clear a larger rotor) and uses a slightly different pad (skinnier and has a larger radius for a bigger rotor)
Old 01-19-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccracin
I couldn't agree more. I ran a NASCAR LMS on a half mile oval at speeds reaching 105 at the end of the straights. I was on the binders 2 times a lap for 50 laps. NO FADE with 12" rotors and 4 piston Wilwood calipers. The brake craze is more the COOL factor than required performance.

I agree, but another reason (and a big one) why road race guys don't use huge rotors is pad wear. 14" rotor will wear a pad much faster than a 12" or 13" rotor, and they can't make too many stops to change pads. NASCAR guys have massive rotors that dissapate heat quickly, even though they're 12"...so it's not really a fair comparison.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver69Camaro
I agree, but another reason (and a big one) why road race guys don't use huge rotors is pad wear. 14" rotor will wear a pad much faster than a 12" or 13" rotor, and they can't make too many stops to change pads. NASCAR guys have massive rotors that dissapate heat quickly, even though they're 12"...so it's not really a fair comparison.

My rotors were 1.25 wide. I wouldn't call that massive. I think the biggest factor is the pad material. I was racing on a 1/4 oval and that is even harder on the brakes because there is even less time to cool, than when I raced on the 1/2 mile tracks...
Old 01-19-2007, 07:44 PM
Supporting Member

To all:

You guys have been great. In just these last dozen post the clouds have cleared.

If other people have things to add with their personal experiance please jump in and add your tales.

The 6 piston, 13 inch Front, 4 Piston, 12 or 13 inch rear rotors, sound like they will work just fine and be everything and more I will ever need.

Life is good............

Thanks you very much, The examples used where the perfect insight I needed.

tyoneal
Old 01-20-2007, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyoneal
To all:

You guys have been great. In just these last dozen post the clouds have cleared.

If other people have things to add with their personal experiance please jump in and add your tales.

The 6 piston, 13 inch Front, 4 Piston, 12 or 13 inch rear rotors, sound like they will work just fine and be everything and more I will ever need.

Life is good............

Thanks you very much, The examples used where the perfect insight I needed.
tyoneal
Isn't this site awesome! I have also received an unbelievable amount of help. I think you made a good choice. That setup will be arriving at my house from PRRC this week. Good luck.

68 Chevy Pickup Project
Build Thread: https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=7505

THANKS TO: A&M Machine and Fabrication, CCTek (http://www.candctek.com), Hermance Design(www.hermancedesign.com), Paradise Road Rod & Custom, Harry Opfer Welding, Wegner Automotive Research, Clayton Machine Works
Old 01-20-2007, 01:43 PM

Tyoneal, I think you are headed in the right direction with your selection. The real quest for education... is going to be in brake pad selection.

The only other advice I could steer would be, that you pay peticular attention to and make sure that you center the caliper over the rotor during initial installation. Being that these are radially mounted calipers with non floating rotors... 0.010" off center makes a huge difference in pad life/wear, not to mention performance. Essex makes a caliper abutement (radial and/or lug) shim kit for $9.38... just for doing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver69Camaro
I agree. Some of the C5R cars I've seen run high-end calipers that are often not a monoblock design...ask those guys and they say the same thing.

They often don't use 14" rotors, either.
The 2005/2006 C6R uses an APRacing CP6080 mono-bloc caliper and a 14.96" carbon rotor. The race car carbon/carbon stuff is a whole'notha story...
Old 03-10-2007, 09:58 AM

I run 15" rotors on the front of my 2,100 lb GT1 car with Brembo Endurance calipers. I can tell you that at Road America were you have three fast sections of track that you see over 150mph before heavy braking that the rotor size with proper cooling make a huge difference.. I was killing cars with 13" rotors and ABS . The only other thing I do is cryo my rotors . I use pagid orange race pads... for the street though , this would certainly be overkill... I also have a racing buddy who ran two piece Wilwood calipers and he switched calipers because he was having braking problems he believes to be due to flex in the caliper ... that being said I am going to run the Wilwood's on my Camaro because I beleive they will be plenty fine for the street and some hot laps at the road course. I won't be doing 30 min sprint races with the car
Porsche 935
Porsche IROC series RSR (Fittipaldi)