Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 10-24-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Damn that's sexy! When someone takes a peek under the back of my car, that's what I want 'em to see.
If you install one of these, the only view your competitors will see is of the back of your car, quickly disappearing out of their view.

Mark
Old 10-24-2005, 03:16 PM

Wow thats one of the nicest SRA setups i've ever seen. Couple questions on it tho.

Do you have to raise the floor boards at all for clearance? Not a huge deal, just curious.

How is the unsprung weight? Seems like a whole lot of tubing and such that will be added to the rear end.

Are you going to share price, or do we have to wait till after SEMA?

Curious are you using a suspension specific modeling program or is it solidworks/3d studio based?

Ohh and
Old 10-24-2005, 03:26 PM

This is only available with a Ford 9" rear end, right? If so, this presents another problem, because I already bought Wilwood disc brakes for my GM 10-bolt... crap, I really want this.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:39 PM

Default sexxy little bitch

man i got a weird feeling in my pants when i saw that rear end pic. what will happen when i get one in real life?? no one knows but i will try to catch it on tape.gotta have one, this thing is gonna rock

jake
Old 10-24-2005, 04:01 PM

Well I have decided I really need this. I just put up my rear Wilwod disc brakes for sale, and the reupholstered rear seat. If anyone is interested they are in the for sale section on pro-toruing.com. I hope they sell!
Old 10-24-2005, 04:12 PM

Default hey

Jas, hold off on selling the brakes, when you order you 9 just have them weld gm housing ends to it. Vin
Old 10-24-2005, 04:22 PM

Ahh, thanks for the tip! I didn't even think of that!
-Jason
Old 10-24-2005, 04:44 PM

Does the 3-link suspension call for anything special with the gas tank?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:22 PM

Wow, thanks a million for the interest, and excellent questions, guys.

I will get weight figures for everything probably by the end of the day, Solidworks can tell you based upon the model, but it will be nice to get actual, physical weights. The good thing is that with the help of the modelling, we were able to reduce the wall thickness on the main axle tubes, and we use a Strange housing center. We had looked at a competitor housing center that was titled "light" weight, but the quality wasn't there on the piece. It was a bummer, it only weighted 21 pounds. Then we called Strange, their stuff was WAY nicer, likely sturdier due to the design, and best of all, only weighs 18 lbs.

For the modelling, we use Solidworks for the mechanical design and analysis, for the suspension geometry, we use WinGeo. Reference material comes from bascially all of the available literature from Milliken, Adams, Olley, Staniforth, etc.

No modifications to the floor pan are required with the exception of the clearance "tunnel" for the upper link. It was designed to work with all forms of commercially available subframe connectors, so if those are installed already, it should not be an issue. A word of caution, we do not have a tailpipe solution for the setup at this time, though we are working on one. It is pretty tight with the coil-overs and brackets for the Watt's linkage, we have something modelled up, but have not physically made one yet. This is something that we want to make available, most folks will want to run tailpipes (like me, I have dumps on my car, and though it sounds great and I love it, my neighbors don't seem to share the same passion for hot rods that I do!). There is no clearance issue with the gas tank, but here again, this might need to be changed for tailpipes, I can't give a solid answer on that at this time.

Brakes are set up for the C5 stuff, and due to the axles, it would probably be easier to make a new retainer/bracket than to run different housing ends, probably not a big deal, but we will need to look at it.

Thanks again for the feedback, guys, it is really helpful.

Mark
Old 10-24-2005, 08:19 PM

Default rear flange

Ok if your setting up to run a C5 backing plate flange pattern than that makes life alot easier especially for those who will run the new stuff. Any limitations on rim back spacing? Vin