Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Wheels and Tires
User Name
Password

Old 02-03-2008, 02:40 PM

Default Brake line help

I am getting ready here in the next month or so to start bending my SS brake lines, for my wilwood 12.2 front and rear disc kit. I have never done this before so I have a few questions, so please be nice with you replys. I hear people talking about a 37* flare and a double 45* flare, what exactly is the difference. From what I have read I seen that the 37* is prefered. So do I just need the Rigid model #377 37* flaring tool and a tubing bender to do the entire job? What would be a good brand for the bender? Also where is the best place to buy (or should I make my own) clips that are welded to the rearend to hold the brake lines in place. I don't mind welding these on, but I would like to before I get the rearend powdercoated. I posted a pic to show what clips I am talking about. Thanks for everybodies help in advance.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:11 PM

Brake lines are double flared, and doing that by hand is SS can be an SOB. 37* flares are usually used in fuel systems. Prebent SS line kits are fairly inexpensive if you decide to buy rather than make.

Mike
Old 02-03-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclerodz
Brake lines are double flared, and doing that by hand is SS can be an SOB. 37* flares are usually used in fuel systems. Prebent SS line kits are fairly inexpensive if you decide to buy rather than make.

Mike

Who makes the prebent SS lines, Classic tube? This is for a 68' camaro with a 9" and a wilwood kit.

Last edited by 01somta; 02-03-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:44 PM

Would the prebent lines work with all the four link brackets, the 9", and aftermarket wilwood brakes?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:13 PM

I am sure you would have to do some bending to get around some of your extra bracketry, just need to search the Ford parts list for premade lines for one that will work.

MIke
Old 02-04-2008, 10:41 AM

I pre bent all of my brake and fuel lines in stainless using hand benders and a hand flaring tool. AN fittings are 37*.

Brake lines were plumbed in 3/16 od with a wall thickness of .025 or .028. The fuel line is plumbed with 3/8 od with the same wall thickness. Seamless stainless was used.

Map out the plumbing and determine the type of connections needed. Buy the hardware from Jegs or Summit (they have very liberal return policies) if you need to send the fittings back (unused of course) they have no issue with it. You will make several mistakes flaring until you get the hang of it so buy plenty of tubing. I bought mine from a local shop called tubular techniques a custom tube bending shop. I probably could have found it cheaper, but they always had it in stock and I have done business with them before.

I bought my flaring tool and benders from mcmaster.com Again, probably paid more, but mcmaster has the stuff in stock and sells nice stuff. The benders are Rigid and the flaring tool was Imperial.

The key is read the directions that come with the bender and grab some welding wire and a tape measure and lay out your bends. Measure and mark the tube, then start bending.

I found that a GOOD lubricant (WD-40 is not a good lubricant) used on the flaring tool made all the difference in the world.

I cut the tubing on a band saw and deburred the cut with a wire wheel. You can use a cut off wheel if you want and just make sure your cut is clean and square.

After flaring, buy a set of plugs and check the flare for leaks. Dip the end in a bucket of water. No bubbles no troubles my friend!

Time consuming, yes, but it looks nice at the end.

Hope that helps

Darren