Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 08-20-2015, 12:04 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sieg View Post
Home centers now have the leverage to spec product.........only one entity wins in that scenario.
Well, no, consumers can still insist on quality by shopping elsewhere and (probably) paying more. McMaster Carr has great products and they deliver quickly.

I always get a kick out of folks who want the lowest price, but then complain about quality or Chinese manufactured goods. What? You thought the price fairy discounted Snap On tools?

It seems that many of those who are throwing stones at Lowes and Home Depot may need to look in the mirror.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:37 AM

I purchase 85% of my wire through HD, because of all my vendors, they sell it to me the cheapest. Even if I'm there grabbing small items I prefer to check out via humanoid. Only time I'll use self checkout, is if lines with actual cashiers are backed up. Here in Ga, most every larger chain store has self checkouts...grocery stores, walley world, home improvement, etc.
70 velle' on custom chassis w/custom RideTech coilovers, RED sleeved 434” with Mamo 265’s, F-body Magnum, 12 bolt 3:73, wilwood 6/4's, bla, bla, bla...build. thread https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=39631
New 434” engine build here https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ved-block.html

Thanks Dad!!

My Chevelle is old school... It has a belt driven power steering pump.
They're 17's, but I keep em clean!
Old 08-20-2015, 07:46 AM

The old adage is...

You can have it good (quality)
You can have it fast (local inventory)
You can have it cheap (low cost)

Pick 2.

Good & fast ain't cheap
Good & cheap ain't fast
fast & cheap ain't good

Works in almost any scenario...

Bill

P.S. Love the self checkouts. They speak English I can understand, and don't ask me if I found everything today, want to save 10% on my purchase, or if I need a hunting license.

'69 Camaro / 534 BBC / DSE Built
'67 C10 / LS-3 Magnuson / Roadster Shop Chassis
Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
Well, no, consumers can still insist on quality by shopping elsewhere and (probably) paying more. McMaster Carr has great products and they deliver quickly.

I always get a kick out of folks who want the lowest price, but then complain about quality or Chinese manufactured goods. What? You thought the price fairy discounted Snap On tools?

It seems that many of those who are throwing stones at Lowes and Home Depot may need to look in the mirror.
Not throwing stones, just stating a fact.

A reasonably large percentage of home center consumers don't really know(by experience) or understand quality. Manufacturers and re-sellers exploit that fact especially in the lower retail price ranges. At least that's my perception after 36+ years in residential/commercial floor/wall/counter/window covering business.

A good long time friend with Mohawk Industries handles their National Accounts such as Home Depot, Lowes, and numerous retail floor covering buying groups so I do have some insight on how the product specification game is played on the floor covering side.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:43 PM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBarkley View Post
Doesn't surprise me one bit. Their tool section is a joke. It's bad when a $10 socket set from Harbor Freight does a better job than stuff from Lowe's. Only a few brands (like Dremel, etc.) seem to have any real value.

Like I said in the last post, the only time I've seen a price drop is when it comes to beating competition...and I did my time working retail at Sears, so I'm well aware of the industry practices when it comes to pricing an item.
But very rarely do they have to lower a Price to beat the Competition. In the instances where Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards or Wal-Mart have the same product, there will be a different part number on it. Then they can say that is a different product - no price match, no 10% back price guarantee
Old 08-27-2015, 10:13 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,076 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post

FINALLY A POINT ON WHICH YOU AND I CAN AGREE!!! LOL

Middle America shopped it's way out of manufacturing jobs by spending the pay check they got from working on the assembly line -- buying stuff at Walmart et al.... and then wonder why their job doesn't exist anymore. They wanted (and went on strike for) union wages and job guarantees -- while wanting the lowest prices for things they bought. They can now be "greeters" at WalMart in their "retirement". "I want my 90" TV for $499"... Well - that may be why there is no Motorola factory here anymore.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:09 PM

frustrates me greatly that I have to answer 'can I help you' people 15 times in the aisle while I sort out what I need. the few times I have asked them a question it has been totally worthless ( I can hold my broken faucet stem in my hand and look at the ones on the rack as good as they can!)

and yet when it is time to check out there is zero help to TAKE THE MONEY WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DONT WORK HERE!
I AM A CUSTOMER!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWeld View Post
FINALLY A POINT ON WHICH YOU AND I CAN AGREE!!! LOL

Middle America shopped it's way out of manufacturing jobs by spending the pay check they got from working on the assembly line -- buying stuff at Walmart et al.... and then wonder why their job doesn't exist anymore. They wanted (and went on strike for) union wages and job guarantees -- while wanting the lowest prices for things they bought. They can now be "greeters" at WalMart in their "retirement". "I want my 90" TV for $499"... Well - that may be why there is no Motorola factory here anymore.
The most true statement in this thread. The Wallmartization of the USA.