Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > LSX Conversions
User Name
Password

Old 02-15-2015, 12:39 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Rally View Post
Understood. It just depends on how much power you want to get out of it. If your staying NA, then a 6.0 or 6.2 is a better starting point. The 5.3 converts to around 325cu. If you are going to add a turbo, then it doesn't really matter, the 5.3l is a good base but then the 4L60E isn't going to hold up to that much HP.

If you go 6.0l, the LQ9 has the flat top pistons and a little higher compression. The LQ4 is dished, lower compression, better for boost. If you want even more compression on the LQ9, swap on a set of 243 or 799 heads and you'd be close to 11:1.

Most wiring harness places don't even want to touch old harnesses any longer. They take longer to tear apart than building a new one from scratch. I think I paid around $500 for a new harness and ECU from PSI Conversions.
PSI is a good harness but it's close to $1k all said and done.

If you change the LQ9 heads you may have to flycut the pistons for valve clearance depending on cam choice
Old 02-15-2015, 02:19 PM

$1650 is a good price for an LQ9 in good running condition. Well maintained, those motors are pretty bullet proof.

I'm putting an LQ9 into my 67 Chevelle. After examining all of my used choices, I ended up going with a reman engine for $3K. Thing is, most of the extra stuff that comes with a pull out motor - intake, oil pan, harness, accessories, water pump, exhaust manifolds - is stuff that had to be swapped out anyway. Given that, I decided the extra 1200 bucks or so for a reman was worth the lower risk, considering that it isn't such a big percentage of the total cost in the end.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:06 PM

Well the 5.3 and it's trans went back today. After running the casting numbers from the block and heads and the service number from the ECU I discovered the engine was not what the seller advertised it as being. Got my money back in full, starting my search over again. I made up my mind that I'm going to do a swap on my crew cab truck first since it has the most miles. Since it's a big, long truck I've decided this time I'm going all out and I'm searching for an L92 and 6LXXE trans. I figure that motor will have no trouble moving the truck and with 6 gears I just might see some MPG's that will make me smile for once. There's a salvage place in Waxahachie that I've been told by several people is THE place to get LS swap combos, at least in my area. So hopefully I'll be starting a build thread in the truck section soon...