Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 08-13-2015, 04:28 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Default Self-Check Outs at Lowes/Home Depot

Have you ever used one of the self-check outs at Lowes, Home Depot or maybe a grocery store? Around here I really only see them at Lowes or Home Depot.

Are you a fan of them? Do they save you time?

Personally, I absolutely hate them. Here's my list of reasons why:

1. They are a pain in the ass. I have some electronic voice telling me what to do. If I don't do exactly right, I have to either redo it, or wait for a cashier(voiding the whole point of a self check out). I rarely find they save me any time.

2. They create job losses. So now Lowes only has to have 1 or 2 cashiers working, instead of 3 or 4. Yeah it saves them money, but, and my next point...

3. I don't get a discount. When Lowes or Home Depot prices something, they are taking into account all operating costs(variable and fixed). This includes the cost of hiring and employing people. So if there's no employee helping me, that means that Lowes/HD is bonusing out. They aren't paying for that extra man power required to sell the item. But do I get a discount for checking myself out? Absolutely not. I still pay the same price no matter what. If I got a 5% discount for self check out, I'd be much more inclined to do it myself.

4. Zero customer service. There's no interaction. I walk up, get barked at by an electronic machine, and that's it. An employee is a heck of a lot quicker ringing up items(especially when you have lots) than I could ever be with the units they have. Plus there's no "did you find everything okay?" "How are you doing?" or anything else for me to say "that was a great experience. I'll be back."

Okay rant over. I just really hate those and pretty much refuse to use them. Usually at the Lowes or HD, they have those open, plus one check stand way over in the lumber department. I'll take the extra 30 seconds and walk over there to a real human.
Old 08-13-2015, 04:58 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Dang newfangled machines, ruining the world!

I use them, usually because there is a line at the human. They can be quick and smooth or temperamental, its a crap shoot (the machines....and well, the humans too).
Old 08-13-2015, 05:36 PM

To me its no different then a drive thru car wash, ordering parts online instead of in the store,renting movies at redbox,reading e books etc etc.

Everything listed takes away jobs some how. It's the way of the world now because people accept it. Technology is great but takes away human interaction.

If your mad at one thing technology related might as well be mad at all things technology related.

Jobs get cut all the time because of machines but also get created because of them to.

I use the self check outs all the time and usually get in and out fairly faster then the cashier. My local Costco has self check outs to and it's a real time saver.

Last edited by Build-It-Break-it; 08-13-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:03 PM

I use the grocery store ones everytime unless I'm buying booze (needs to go through a cashier).

The home improvement store ones are usually all beat up from people dragging hardware and crap across them, they never seem to work great.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:37 PM

I use them whenever available 90% of the time. Quicker, less BS, better accuracy, and the big plus is people can't fumble around with coupons and writing checks in those lines!

If this is a survey I actually make an effort to shop at places that do have self checkout stations.

Most check out stations are not nearly as efficient as Costco's.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:44 PM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 1,106 Posts

I use them at Lowes, we don't have them at Grocery Stores here. Most of the time they work OK at Lowes, but a few weeks ago I got so pissed that it didn't work that I left all my stuff right there and walked out!
Old 08-14-2015, 02:32 PM

I'll use them if I dont have a lot of stuff to check out. At Lowes or HD if I have lumber I wont use them. At the grocery store if I have a poo ton of grocerys I hit up the human checker outer - its easier and faster.

Otherwise - scan, beep, bag, swipe, go.

You can call me Bart
Old 08-14-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
I use them at Lowes, we don't have them at Grocery Stores here. Most of the time they work OK at Lowes, but a few weeks ago I got so pissed that it didn't work that I left all my stuff right there and walked out!
I've wanted to do that with numerous checkers!

The Home Depot machines are blazing fast here........and they have all their teeth and no open sores.
Old 08-15-2015, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewtal66 View Post

4. Zero customer service. There's no interaction. I walk up, get barked at by an electronic machine, and that's it. An employee is a heck of a lot quicker ringing up items(especially when you have lots) than I could ever be with the units they have. Plus there's no "did you find everything okay?" "How are you doing?" or anything else for me to say "that was a great experience. I'll be back."
An employee is a heck of a lot quicker. #4 makes me laugh Tim. Home Depot and customer service is never used in the same sentence. The only thing an HD employee is quick at doing is telling you its not their department and getting to the time clock to go home. And they killed your friendly neighborhood Ace hardware for what? Oh im with you F skynet!

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 08-16-2015, 03:06 AM

I use them every chance I get, as previously mentioned, the machine is generally a lot quicker. Especially when you are only buying a few items and you need to get in and out of the store quick so you can get back to your project.

I would have to completely disagree with you on #2. Just the opposite is true. Somewhere there are engineers, office staff, assemblers, haulers and sales people making these machines available for us to use. Hopefully all here in the U.S. , creating jobs.