Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 PM

I assembled ptfe power steering hoses no special tools but i only had to do 2 ends,those tools would make fingers thankfull and swearing and gouged knuckles down to nothing for a full job
Old 04-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Thanked 1,077 Times in 385 Posts

Here's how I do this.....

I have a real nice hose slicing blade --- Here's the model number of it...

I bought mine from XRP -- it's their part number 329003

I have a fancy dandy hose holder and saw set up ----- but you could just make a crude "miter box" with a slot in it....

The blade..... a meat slicer!

Here's the difference between a cutting tool as shown in the videos..... it SMASHES the liner!!! Not good -- doable -- but hackey motto style! VERSUS the slicer blade with doesn't melt the PTFE or deform it in any way!

RESULT

VERSUS blade in the saw.....

I use the olive tool to spread the braid....

Then use the same tool to insert the olive....

And you can not do without these SOFT JAWS....

Old 04-16-2013, 09:52 AM

I agree GW, having the proper tools is the way to go..But some of us don't have these fancy tools . If I'm using the reusable fittings I take a hand held thin cut off wheel, masking tape and deburr with a sharp counter sink or knive and been making my own PTFE brake, fuel and high pressure lines for years, (all though I do end up with lots of lil holes in my finger tips) . Or I go to our local hose shop and pay them to crimp the fittings on

PS where do you get your nails done?? And must complement you on the very nice clear pics

Accelerating is optional...........stopping is mandatory. Your car WILL stop one way or another.

Last edited by intocarss; 04-16-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Z/28 View Post
Hello guys

I bought the new Aeromotive Stealth EFI fuel tank along with their Fittings, and now I need to get my fuel lines replaced.

I have read good things about PTFE lined fuel lines like Pegasus..

I would like to get Pegasus PTFE lined ones but as per their instructions I must use their fittings as well.

My question is what other alternative PTFE lined fuel line can use with the Aeromotive fittings that I have bought already?

I appreciate your input guys
I actually just installed this tank in my '69. You only need to use the Aeromotive O-ring fittings (6AN male-to-male) to create the 3 male 6AN outlets on the sending unit. Then you're free to hookup whatever set of 6AN PTFE female fittings and PTFE hose that you like to those 6AN male outlets. I think I went with 1 straight and 2 45 degree hose endings. You just have to make sure that you match the manufacturer of your PTFE hose endings and PTFE hose. You can't mix and match on those. I found Earl's PTFE line(teflon inner liner, static dissipating) and PTFE fittings to be the least expensive, but their hose endings are a bit of pain to install. The Aeroquip line and hose endings(Super Gem) are actually less expensive and easier to install, but they don't have the inner liner so it shouldn't be used in long lengths. Now, if you're looking for black PTFE hose and fittings, that's a different story. That gets pricey. I used 'reusable'(non-crimp) fittings and just a cutoff wheel and a vice(and some electrical tape when cutting and water for lubricant) to create all my hoses and none of them leaked with the exception of one Super Gem fitting that had a manufacturing/maching defect in it which I replaced. Takes a bit of time but nothing heroic.

Last edited by chr2002ca; 04-16-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chr2002ca View Post
I actually just installed this tank in my '69. You only need to use the Aeromotive O-ring fittings (6AN male-to-male) to create the 3 male 6AN outlets on the sending unit. Then you're free to hookup whatever set of 6AN PTFE female fittings and PTFE hose that you like to those 6AN male outlets. I think I went with 1 straight and 2 45 degree hose endings. You just have to make sure that you match the manufacturer of your PTFE hose endings and PTFE hose. You can't mix and match on those. I found Earl's PTFE line(teflon inner liner, static dissipating) and PTFE fittings to be the least expensive, but their hose endings are a bit of pain to install. The Aeroquip line and hose endings(Super Gem) are actually less expensive and easier to install, but they don't have the inner liner so it shouldn't be used in long lengths. Now, if you're looking for black PTFE hose and fittings, that's a different story. That gets pricey. I used 'reusable'(non-crimp) fittings and just a cutoff wheel and a vice(and some electrical tape when cutting and water for lubricant) to create all my hoses and none of them leaked with the exception of one Super Gem fitting that had a manufacturing/maching defect in it which I replaced. Takes a bit of time but nothing heroic.
I guess I am going to use the existing push on type end hoses to avoid going through the hassles with the PTFE end fittings.
Complete Speedtech Subframe Kit,Speedtech Torque Arm, 9" Rearend from Strange, Wilwood Brakes, Minitubbed, Hotchkis Subframe Connectors, FIKSE FM5s