Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > EFI and Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 PM

Default Rick's Tank with Vapoworx

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to get some suggestions as to what to look for. I purchased the aforementioned tank fro my 66 c10 and ran into a small problem (hopefully). I have not dropped the tank yet to see what is wrong, but plan to this weekend. Just to give you an idea of the problem, the truck acted like it ran out of gas even though it is half full. After I got it towed home, I was able to start it again, but it did not run right. I backed it into the driveway and it began to run normal. I was afraid if I took it out for a spin, it would have quit working again. I checked the easy stuff, fuse, relay, wiring etc. but did not find anything unusual. I had driven the truck with the new fuel system for a couple of months and even towed a car home with it. When I drop the tank, what should I look for that may not be obvious.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Last edited by 1Bad68Cat; 02-13-2013 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2013, 05:42 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Robert, it's always hard to diagnose such things over the internet, but it sounds like a fuel filter to me. Drain and drop your tank and make sure the integrated filter isn't covered in sticky goo or dirt or something.

II Much Fabrication's Blog New products, Fabrication sequences, etc.
Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 AM

since you have a vaporworx set up Im going to assume its an efi set up. If you could monitor fuel pressure at the rails, it will help in your diagnosis. Efi cars are fairly sensitive to voltage drops, get a hold of a digital volt meter check the output of your Alt. and monitor voltage at the pump.

As John recommended the fuel filter is a good place to start. Fuel doesn't last long today turns to yellow goo if sitting a long while.

Rich
Old 02-14-2013, 06:20 AM

I had a similar issue with my Vaporworx tank, which had a 5th gen fuel module. For trouble shooting we hooked up a fuel pressure tester and realized the fuel system was not reaching 58pis. Mine would peak at 20psi. I pulled the tank and the fuel pressure regulator was not installed properly in the fuel module.

If you look at the pic below you will see the fuel pressure regulator at bottom center of the pic is cocked (its the gold item with a small tube coming out of it). I removed it, ensured the oring wasn't damaged and re-installed it. I had to reshape the clip holding it in place. I haven't had any issue with it since.

1969 Camaro - LS2/4L70E
Old 02-14-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
Robert, it's always hard to diagnose such things over the internet, but it sounds like a fuel filter to me. Drain and drop your tank and make sure the integrated filter isn't covered in sticky goo or dirt or something.
John,

Where is the filter? Before I installed the pump I don't recall seeing a filter, just the remote pick-ups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketrod View Post
I had a similar issue with my Vaporworx tank, which had a 5th gen fuel module. For trouble shooting we hooked up a fuel pressure tester and realized the fuel system was not reaching 58pis. Mine would peak at 20psi. I pulled the tank and the fuel pressure regulator was not installed properly in the fuel module.

If you look at the pic below you will see the fuel pressure regulator at bottom center of the pic is cocked (its the gold item with a small tube coming out of it). I removed it, ensured the oring wasn't damaged and re-installed it. I had to reshape the clip holding it in place. I haven't had any issue with it since.
Rod, i'll definitely check into this. When I received the module I did take off the regulator thinking I still needed to replace it with the 4th gen regulator, but saw the adapter and reinstalled it.

Thanks again everyone for the pointers.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bad68Cat View Post

Rod, i'll definitely check into this. When I received the module I did take off the regulator thinking I still needed to replace it with the 4th gen regulator, but saw the adapter and reinstalled it.

Thanks again everyone for the pointers.
with the vaporworx system you need to replace the regulator with a 4th gen one AND use the adapter at the same time.

You also really need to pinch the crap out of that retainer clip so it doesn't slip off. I had the exact same issue as RocketRod did.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHarvard View Post
with the vaporworx system you need to replace the regulator with a 4th gen one AND use the adapter at the same time.

You also really need to pinch the crap out of that retainer clip so it doesn't slip off. I had the exact same issue as RocketRod did.
My assumption is the regulator is the 4th gen since the adapter was in place. I bought the whole tank setup through MCB. Sorry for leaving some of the info out. That clip you're referring to was a pain when I reinstalled the regulator though. Hector from Rick's also told me to take a look at the harness to the pump as he did have one customer with a defective harness.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:55 PM

Default Update

Minor Update. Did a fuel pressure check and found I was only getting 20 psi to the fuel rails. Also does not hold fuel pressure when shutting off the truck. Looks like it's pointing to an internal leak in the gas tank as the lines are not leaking from the tank to the fuel rail. I'll take a look at the regulator once I drop the tank. Is the anything else I should look at other than the regulator and fuel pickup lines?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:13 PM

Default Update:

I dropped the tank and found that the fuel is leaking pass the o-rings on the regulator. Will I be able to pick up the o-rings at the parts store?
Old 02-17-2013, 10:18 PM

Default Update

All fixed. This was the problem. Regulator managed to wiggle itself pass the retaining clip. Had to reshape the clip as rocketrod mentioned. Thanks everyone for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketrod View Post