User Name
Password

Old 05-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPANTS68 View Post
Pros- it's not an LS

Cons- it's not an LS

It's def the package I'd go for given that budget. Sure the LS is lighter, smaller, better tech, and apparently made by god- but who cares. Build what you want. If you set the car up right, nothing will catch it from a roll anyway. Hard to argue your car handles better when a guy just put 10 bus lengths on you. lmao
I couldn't of said it better myself thats some funny sh^t !!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:30 AM

I haven't been all the way through the build thread so I am unsure of your goals. I realize you have assembled some very good parts for your car.

I will ask the hard question...Are you going to drive this car? Define drive and intended usuage in your own words.

Support your local hot rod shop!
Old 05-04-2013, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
I haven't been all the way through the build thread so I am unsure of your goals. I realize you have assembled some very good parts for your car.

I will ask the hard question...Are you going to drive this car? Define drive and intended usuage in your own words.
Donny I have several things on my bucket list for this car. I'm going to drive it as much as I can. I'm really not a show guy but I'll go every once and a while. I would like to try some auto cross, road course , 1/4. I'm not building this car to sit that's for sure. I also am very aware that this IS NOT the proper way to go for some of these events. I just want to go have fun. We have a facility called the AUTOBAHN with two huge road courses . I have several friends that belong to the club and I'll be looking into that also. The best thing about that its only 20 miles from my house. I'm catching a lot of heat for the BB TT deal but I just have to get it out of my system. Sometimes you do things even though you don't need it just so you can say you done it. My nephew(who loves to help me spend my money) took my brand new zero mile Arctic Cat Z1 turbo snowmobile that comes out of the box with 190 hp witch is plenty of power for a snowmobile! Now god knows what he did to this thing but $6000.00 later it now has close to 400 hp ! WHY???? I think if we had to justify everything we do in this life we would never do anything! I know the LS route is the way to go and I know this will happen in the future. But for now I have to get this out of my system.

Last edited by DOOM; 05-04-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 AM

Save yourself 90#s Mario

http://www.dartheads.com/products/en...ne-blocks.html

Just do it. You know you want to...

Old 05-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Banned

Big M is where its at?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM View Post
I think if we had to justify everything we do in this life we would never do anything! I know the LS route is the way to go and I know this will happen in the future. But for now I have to get this out of my system.
Really Sucks that you think you have to justify your choices on how you build YOUR car. How you spend YOUR money.

Jeff-
Old 05-04-2013, 12:13 PM

That was a good question Donny.

One thing that should be considered is that you have no idea what you will prefer to do with the car until it's done. If you are looking for justification of your ideals, I'm the wrong guy. I'd rather tell you my honest opinion since I have the experience.

If you just want to show up to a road course/autocross and have a good time and aren't serious about competing and honing your skills, I think it's ok. It will be a short duration car. I just don't see you cooling efficiently enough to make many laps. I also think it will prove difficult to drive in any handling segment. Specifically due to the massive amount of power and the unpredictability of turbos. Racing is a delicate dance of being right at the edge and that means feel is crucial. Having all that weight is going to make it push worse than most. I'd shoot for a 295-315 with the proper rim size. With a DSE sub that means adding the wheel width to the outside of the rim to prevent control arm/frame rub. That will require fender mods.

You have to remember that you are not GM, you don't have millions for R&D. You need to error on the side of caution if you want a predictable and reliable car. Having that much power will be a handicap for pro touring.

A mild supercharger would be a better option due to less heat. They just aren't as pretty and I get that. If I was going to spend that type of coin, I'd have Stielows engine builder build you an LS9. It would be all the power you will ever need and it's been done.

Last edited by Vegas69; 05-04-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Vendor

I think it comes down to the personality of the owner. It is hard to ask someone how serious they are about autocross, road course, 1/4 mile or standing mile, because everyone everyone has a different definition of serious, or what is involved in having fun. For Todd and I, having fun is building something that drives well enough to exceed the level of skill of the idiot behind the wheel. After doing this for a few years, I'm not having a ton of fun if I'm trying to fight my car to get it to work. I don't care about winning so much as I do getting the most out of my car with what I have on any given day. I often decide that I want to go faster though. For some people it isn't so much an issue of how well it handles and is more a function of just getting seat time. I wish I was one of those people. It would be much cheaper.

If I were building this car my only concern would be creating a car with so many compromises that I would get frustrated with it when it couldn't function quite the way I wanted it to in one area because of something I did elsewhere. It is hard to tell what is going to bug, and what you can't live without until you're on the road.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:19 PM

[QUOTE=Ketzer;478471]Really Sucks that you think you have to justify your choices on how you build YOUR car. How you spend YOUR money.
Nope ! No justifying! Its crazy how things can get out of hand. How do you justify 1500+ HP when 300,400,500 hp is just fine! If you think about its totally ridiculous !! So for me if you would try and justify anything out of the norm you would never do it. Does that make cense to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
That was a good question Donny.

One thing that should be considered is that you have no idea what you will prefer to do with the car until it's done. If you are looking for justification of your ideals, I'm the wrong guy. I'd rather tell you my honest opinion since I have the experience.

If you just want to show up to a road course/autocross and have a good time and aren't serious about competing and honing your skills, I think it's ok. It will be a short duration car. I just don't see you cooling efficiently enough to make many laps. I also think it will prove difficult to drive in any handling segment. Specifically due to the massive amount of power and the unpredictability of turbos. Racing is a delicate dance of being right at the edge and that means feel is crucial. Having all that weight is going to make it push worse than most. I'd shoot for a 295-315 with the proper rim size. With a DSE sub that means adding the wheel width to the outside of the rim to prevent control arm/frame rub. That will require fender mods.

You have to remember that you are not GM, you don't have millions for R&D. You need to error on the side of caution if you want a predictable and reliable car. Having that much power will be a handicap for pro touring.

A mild supercharger would be a better option due to less heat. They just aren't as pretty and I get that. If I was going to spend that type of coin, I'd have Stielows engine builder build you an LS9. It would be all the power you will ever need and it's been done.
Can someone in the Las Vegas area get to Todd as fast as you can I think something or someone hit him in the head!! The guys talking LS, something happen to my bro and I'm concerned !!!!

Last edited by DOOM; 05-04-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:59 PM

I built an all alum.BBC TT 69 chevelle conv.used the Tom Nelson alien intake with 76 mm turbonetics turbos.spent 3000 on high temp coatings from the pistons to the turbos to all the down pipes.started driving the car last year and all the heat issues started coming out.car would not start after getting real hot. Steering joint got so hot the started freezing up will I was driving.fix for that was to make some boots and pack with grease. Even though I spent all that money on coatings I had to double wrap all the down pipes to fix the starting problems.it made 850 hp at8 lbs of boost.so lots of room to make a ton of HP.car drives around fine but I don't think it's no long distance car.

Just finished 69 camaro with a kenne bell supercharger ls3 .chassis dynoed it yesterday made over 700 rwhp with a loose converter at 15 lbs. Of boost.put a tighter one in this morning.this blower makes some heat but nothing like the turbo car. This car seems like you could drive it anywhere.

This is what my experience is so far with turbos and superchargers.. Greg