Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 02-14-2005, 02:45 PM

Default zr-1 wheels

can you run these wheels safely, at high speed? i am pretty sure you need vette brakes spacers to run them, was wondering what you guys thought, i am looking at the 17x11 and 17x9.5 for my car, just cause of the price, and the red witch looks pretty badass, but i do like a few budniks
they are
17x11 with 7-7/8 bs 237 bucks with shipping ea
17x9.5 with 7-5/16 bs is what they come with, 212 with shipping ea.
jake
Old 02-14-2005, 08:15 PM

Well I dont know what you mean by "High speeds",are they real GM ZR-1 wheels?? If so you should be able to run them as fast as a ZR-1 would go. If they are replicas well take your chances on high speeds like The Silver State. I would want a wheel made for that purpose..........
Old 02-15-2005, 06:12 AM

Default pro t

sorry, to run these on a first gen you need to run vette brakes spacers on the rear, or widen the rear end due to the bs they have, the fronts also need spacers, i am concearned about the spacers, my car will be a street car but hope to go to a few track days a year
jake
Old 02-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

I would like to know as well. I really like the idea of putting a Vette wheel on my camaro (i'm thinking Z06) but i dont like the idea of having a spacer.

William
Old 02-16-2005, 05:19 PM

On any street car spacers are fine as long as they are hubcentric and billet and not thick.I would think that not over 1" thick would be ok,I would add stronger studs/lugs to.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:01 PM

Well, don't confuse spacers with adapters either. You can run a larger backspacing using adapters on a street car and be fine. Here is a company that'll make whatever size you need....safely, of course.
http://www.skulte.com/adapters.html
Old 02-16-2005, 06:08 PM

Will the adapters be fine for enough of a change to run a Z06 wheel in front? Can i even find a Z06 wheel thin enough to put in the front of my 69 camaro? I'd think that with the weight of the car supported so far away from the spindle it would be a problem...

William
Old 02-16-2005, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro
Will the adapters be fine for enough of a change to run a Z06 wheel in front? Can i even find a Z06 wheel thin enough to put in the front of my 69 camaro? I'd think that with the weight of the car supported so far away from the spindle it would be a problem...

William
Actually, I think with the adapters it doesn't matter as much because the force is evenly dispursed among the spindle/adapter from the wheel...plus a good susp. setup will transfer weight efficiently as well. I plan on running adapters and get one-g out of the Chevelle..... mine are going to be about 2" for the C5 rims we're running....I have faith....maybe...sorta...okay, I'm going to make some phone calls!
Old 02-17-2005, 01:19 AM

LOL let me know what the phone calls say! I asked Larry off pro-touring a question about them i'm curious about as well. I'm wanting the Z06 wheels which will require a significant adapter as well. Say there is a 2 inch spacer (for lack of me having the time or energy at this point to work it out), will it look silly behind the wheel to have that much space before the brake?

Thanks,
William

P.S. I understand about the adapter dispursing the weight transfer across the hub but wouldn't it still have an increased load applied on each lug? I'm not positive as i havn't hit that point in my engineering education yet but it is based on what i've already and currently studying.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will69camaro
LOL let me know what the phone calls say! I asked Larry off pro-touring a question about them i'm curious about as well. I'm wanting the Z06 wheels which will require a significant adapter as well. Say there is a 2 inch spacer (for lack of me having the time or energy at this point to work it out), will it look silly behind the wheel to have that much space before the brake?

Thanks,
William

P.S. I understand about the adapter dispursing the weight transfer across the hub but wouldn't it still have an increased load applied on each lug? I'm not positive as i havn't hit that point in my engineering education yet but it is based on what i've already and currently studying.

Use grade 8 and put on your seat belt?
I'll let everyone know what I find out unless someone here already knows and wants to enlighten us....