Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 02-23-2005, 08:27 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicane
One recommendation.........

If you, or anyone for that matter, wants to run the mentioned spacers.......I would recommend that you remove the 'press in studs' and install some screw in type fastners......more along the lines of 1/2".

You will find, that after awhile, the knurl interfearence will fail in the aluminum and you will not have the best time getting your wheel/s off.

I have heard from a bunch of people that they say, "Well, I have never had a problem". My answer is, "You will".

It will not only destroy the spacer, but you will damage your wheel, no question about it.

Just ask Tito-Jones. Also ask him about having to removed the axle from the housing and what it takes to get the wheel off from there.......and imagine, he was lucky and still had drum brakes on that peticular chassis. With disk's.......add about 8 hours.

Just a little FYI
Makes sense. However, I can tell you we had a set on the front of a 1985 Vette to allow the 88-96 offset for a set of ZR rims for about 8 years. The car got pounded hard on a regular basis. The wheels and spacers came off just fine the last time I messed with it.

The instructions are very specific about the amount of torque applied to the lug nuts. My guess would be Tito-Jones might have applied a little extra torque that may have caused the stud to pull in too deep, then spin out.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69MyWay
My guess would be Tito-Jones might have applied a little extra torque that may have caused the stud to pull in too deep, then spin out.
Actually not......and not for the others, either. I have had, and have seen a few problem's with this VB product specifically, over the the past 14 years from when they first came out with them. It has always been a "tooling and component tolerence" issue that is eaisly overlooked.

Some are lucky, and some are not.

I am not bashing VB at all.....I have been dealing with VBP since the late 80's (back in the days of 813) and their dealing with any issue has always gotten top priority to find the fix and make sure the customer was taken care of beyond what anyone could imagine. I dont want to scare anyone away from using this product, but, you can make it a whole lot more durable for the life of your car for a few dollars and an hours worth of time.

Last edited by chicane; 02-23-2005 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:22 AM
Supporting Member