Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Technical Discussions > Chassis and Suspension
User Name
Password

Old 03-04-2005, 05:06 AM

Question Another C5 Brake Question

Hey guys,

I need a little advice. On my 72 442 project I am using C5 front rotors and calipers, and on the back I am using an SSBC caliper (single piston) and '79 T/A rotors (11inch). I am running a '79 Trans Am 4wheel disc brake power booster. It's the master cylinder I am unsure of. I have read about people using a master cylinder from an S-10, as well as one from a 67-7? Corvette with manual brakes. What are the opinions, pros and cons, etc. of these as well as any other suggestions?

You Guys Rock!
Bill K
72 442 "Inamorata"
Old 03-04-2005, 06:37 AM
Supporting Member

Bill,

I like the S10 m/c because it is light weight and aluminum with a more modern look. The old Vette m/c is cast iron, rusts quick and is hard to make it look nice. I run in the Vette circles and many guys have trouble with these as rebuilt units for a variety of reasons. I would suggest you avoid the Vette unit.

I am NO brake expert, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I am running a set very much like this on my project car. I used a prop valve from a 1981 Vette, which is the same 68-82. I felt this would work far better than a manual unit that would need final adjusting, expecially since I won't be seriously competing the car through Solo II, etc.

It is my understanding you will need some sort of valve to limit the pressure on the rear.

Remeber too that m/c brake lines are backwards from what you might think. The smaller line in the rear of the m/c goes to the front brakes and the larger line in the front goes to the rear. Don't ask me why, that's just how they are.

Good luck with it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2005, 01:19 AM
Supporting Member

It's also a matter of volume. The front calipers need a lot of brakefluid to move and MC's like the S-10 has that construction. The rearpart has a higher diameter then the frontpart.

One of the major reasons why so many goes with the S10 is its configuration of the lines. It is one of he few that has its lineoutlets to the left. That means that you can route your brakelines away from the engine. If the brakelines go to the right they will interfer with your engine.

Jan
www.protouring.se www.carphotos.se
Old 03-07-2005, 08:23 PM

The QTU S10 master cylinder has been a topic of conversation lately in that it has a difficult time moving enough volume without undue pedal pressure. The QTU design is very effiecien in a good power assist situation, not so good in a manual application. I would guess with vaccum assist it would be in the middle somewhere. Try it out and if not look into the hydraboost option.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:48 PM

Use the 98-up Fbody master cyl from Z-28, SS, or Trans Am models. They show up on Ebay all the time for around $35. As stated earlier...the S-10 master doesn't move quite enough volume for the C5 fronts and rears. I am using this exact setup with a hydroboost unit as well, couldn't be happier with it.

See link below for photos. -Rob

Project update thread here:
https://lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=12743

My Lateral-G Page

My Shop Build:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310