Go Back   Lateral-g Forums > Lateral-G Open Discussions > Off Topic Forums
User Name
Password

Old 12-08-2013, 03:41 PM

You have no kids, no baggage, 500k in the bank, I'd say your probably ahead 90% of everyone else who is burned out and wants a change. I'd say do it.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:55 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Damn this thread isn't helping me, lol. I'm in the same boat I think. Just search my thread start history and you'll find my thread from, I think, a year ago asking this same thing. I'm still in the same place as I was last year though. Not gonna lie, I'm terrified that if I quit now that I'll never get back to a job making good money even with my engineering degree. Good money to me is 60s or 70s yearly. If some one wants to convince me I'm nuts and can live my already modest lifestyle on less, I'm all ears because yeah, I have no life other than work.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.

Current rides: 2000 BMW 540i/6 and 86 C10.

Former ride: 1979 Trans Am WS6: LT1/T56, Kore 3 C5/6 brakes, BMW 18in rims
Old 12-08-2013, 04:11 PM

I don't know trey, you gotta plan for it. Either money saved or a solid 5 year plan. Sit down and see what it is costing your to live. See what you can cut or reduce and go from there.

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 12-08-2013, 04:14 PM

My Father-in-law did that, sort of. His life-long outlet was racing motorcycles and hunting.

After raising 5 kids, and on his third wife, and after working like a dog for a defense contractor from the time he was out of high school (age 18) until the age of 55ish, he wanted something different. He left the work-a-day world and opened an archery store. I think he was under the impression that he could have fun doing what he wanted, get paid for it, write off hunting trips, and have a retirement "fun Job" making good money to supplement his retirement/pension. With a full retirement for somewhat steady income, and some cash (nowhere near $500,000) and his home's equity, he opened an archery store.

It could have worked, he was doing well for the first few years, however when that "fun Job" become a "Job" a few years later the store downsized, and moved, then closed a year later as it slipped into bankruptcy. Don't know how much he lost, but when the bankruptcy filing was finalized the debt was just under $100,000, and the majority of the houses' equity was gone.

I think it could have worked, as I think the failure was more about a few bad risk decisions that didn't pay off from the inception, and not working the business as hard as he should have by himself, without hiring others in his place. The first two or three years there were losses, and the accountant didn't think there were exorbitant. The timing of an economic downturn, employing family members and friends, then the wearing off of the "fun factor" by he and his wife resulted in its demise.

I think he really needed a good business plan, some sound 3rd party advice, and the ability to tell himself, friends and family "no" even when it wasn't the fun answer. I respect him for doing it, and there were a few things he could have done better, mostly he needed to rely on his own industry and not the industry of others, and when he didn't know what the right answer was, he needed someone to go to make sure he wasn't making the wrong decision from a business perspective.

Others have done it, these pages are full of entrepreneurs that have done it. It really helps to have business associates that are in a similar line of business (but not the competition) to talk about your decisions, direction, and possible next steps to expand, insure stability and not burn out of it.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:58 PM

You can do anything if you apply yourself.
The first hurdle is taking that first step.

I worked for a company for 24 yrs with lots of false promises and no retirement even though I requested over the years that they sponsor a 401k plan for the employees.
I was positioned and fully capable of taking over and pursuing newer technologies but the Gen manager/Vice Pres left disgruntled and wanted to see the company fail.
Boss retired, family member came in, 3yrs of back stabbing so I put in my 2 weeks notice.
Scared as hell the first 2 weeks out and wondering all the time if i made the right decision. Then my personal phone started ringing off the hook and I was soon recruited and worked for a competitor for 5 yrs.
On a job site towards the end of that time I made a comment to the customer that I would never pass up an opportunity any more if it benefited myself and family.
A month later I received a call and was asked about my comments. That led to a new job with good pay and benefits in the IT field in local govt. In addition I was encouraged and started a business to cater to my customers of my previous communications industry.
Bottom line is I enjoy what I do so I look forward each day to either go to work or do my business. I may not be wealthy but I guess I'm successful.
The funniest thing is the company I worked for of 24 yrs is hanging on to residual customers and they have tried to get me to come back and run their business in which I have declined stating that "That ship has come and gone" I now sub contract for them from time to time on my terms and at my business rates.
Sad thing for them is when I get out their the customer ends up contacting me directly for any future business needs.
Got to love free enterprise.
385CID Didn't make it, Dart SHP 400 in the works , 200R4 Trans, 3:42 Posi 12 Bolt axle, Body finally made it to the shop, Cold ones in the fridge Dam, all gone Be right back!
Getting closer to my goal. Yeah Baby!
Old 12-09-2013, 06:40 PM

check out Dan Miller at 48days.net. Not that I have arrived by any means. I work solid hours, but I enjoy it. Dan Miller helped me come up with a transition plan and the tools to make it happen. If you knew what I started my business with you would laugh. We are debt free and in the black. Life is good but is still comes with different challenges.

Dan will help you figure out what it is you are passionate about and THEN you can move towards that goal. Life is short and last time I checked we only get one go around- make the most of it! - Chris

http://chrisholstromconcepts.com/
Old 12-09-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
Talents... I am really good and pride myself on my leadership skills. I love, literally.. teaching mentoring and making others happy. Its the only thing that makes me feel accomplished. My technical skills, problem solving abilities have gotten me to a place where I solve the most challenging technical issues for the largest financial institutions in the world. (my job today involves the software they use to move money) I can weld, Fix cars, and if its mechanical... I can figure it out..

My "plan" was to retire at 52 join the peace Corp.. and eventually work my way to a place where the Money I had in investments provided me the ability to do whatever .. wherever..... I wanted... I have no children.. no baggage...

I realized long ago money nether motivates me or makes me happy... Security.. it very important.. (i have an irrational fear of being destitute).

Jesus .. i need a couch somewere
Sounds like my wife's job. The past 2 weeks have been murder. 40 hours in 2.5 days last week. Worked all weekend this past weekend. She works for a company that handles financial transactions for banks. (the largest in the world as well) At this moment, the house phone, her cell phone, and blackberry all have calls on them. (it is 8:00 at night) Perhaps you guys work for the same company? PM me for more details if you wish.... Anyway, she asked me the same question Sunday night. She wanted to know if I would sell my business, move to someplace warmer and get a laid back job with no stress and just live life. We have money in the bank, no debt (house is paid for) but we have 2 kids, 13 and 10. College money is saved. I told her it was damn tempting. The drama is, I love work, I love my business and I love not having to worry about spending money on stupid stuff. But as I was freezing my ass off driving home tonight, it is very tempting to just say f*^K it and bail.....
Darren

Last edited by Fluid Power; 12-09-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthpastor View Post
check out Dan Miller at 48days.net. Not that I have arrived by any means. I work solid hours, but I enjoy it. Dan Miller helped me come up with a transition plan and the tools to make it happen. If you knew what I started my business with you would laugh. We are debt free and in the black. Life is good but is still comes with different challenges.

Dan will help you figure out what it is you are passionate about and THEN you can move towards that goal. Life is short and last time I checked we only get one go around- make the most of it! - Chris
Ok, where do I sign up for that Chris?

Dealer for
ACCUAIR rideheight control systems
ENTROPY RADIATORS XXX radiators for your pro-touring vehicle
FORGELINE MOTORSPORTS Highline custom 3 piece wheels
WEGNER AUTOMOTIVE Custom engines and LSX drive systems
SPEEDTECH PERFORMANCE Bay Area stocking dealer

NEVER FORGET -11
Old 12-09-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince@MSperfab View Post
Ok, where do I sign up for that Chris?
http://48days.net/
Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Lateral-g Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLexusTech View Post
Talents... I am really good and pride myself on my leadership skills. I love, literally.. teaching mentoring and making others happy. Its the only thing that makes me feel accomplished. My technical skills, problem solving abilities have gotten me to a place where I solve the most challenging technical issues for the largest financial institutions in the world. (my job today involves the software they use to move money) I can weld, Fix cars, and if its mechanical... I can figure it out..

My "plan" was to retire at 52 join the peace Corp.. and eventually work my way to a place where the Money I had in investments provided me the ability to do whatever .. wherever..... I wanted... I have no children.. no baggage...

I realized long ago money nether motivates me or makes me happy... Security.. it very important.. (i have an irrational fear of being destitute).
Not sure if you write software or are a user, but have you considered cranking out a few mobile apps and putting them out on ITunes / Windows MarketPlace / Google's app store / etc.?

Don't expect much but you can build up a decent cash flow.

Also, if you want mindless work, check out utest.com. Basically they outsource testing to folks. Again, not a ton of money but will keep the cash flow up.

What about pulling together your own apps and sell them on Amazon or other site? Amazon has an amazing logistics support package. Either that or web work, hosting on Azure, Amazon AWS or other cloud host.

If it's a don't like where I'm working now kind of thing, there are many tech jobs out there. Plan your exit strategy and execute. I can't think of a time where I did not have several plans if things went pear shaped, just in case backup plan 1 failed, I could fail over to plan 2 or 3 or 4 or some variation between.

Use what you are good at to benefit yourself. Dream big and go for it!

If you do go for your own business, check out score.org. Are you a veteran?
They offer courses on setting up your own business and offer them free to vets. Highly recommend them.

As a backup plan, have a freezer and fill it. Go hunting, if you like it. A moose is 700 - 1400 lbs on the hoof and a deer is 150 lbs (largest field-dressed deer weighed 402 pounds in MN).

As for healthcare, I think we are pretty much screwed in the short term (3 - 5 years) at a minimum. Will be interesting to see where Obamacare goes. Shop around for a policy and pay off a years worth. Have you been banking money in a HSA? A decent way to tax free put aside money for healthcare. Be careful, a FSA won't roll over year to year.

As with any software project I've been on, put together a risk register where you can calculate a weighted risk value and put the risk mitigation plan. Put aside the weighted risk amount in a fairly liquid and relatively low risk place. As new risks arise, put them on the register. As you burn down the risk, the money can transfer to cover other risks or simply move to a more useful purpose.

Bottom line is that you mention leadership skills, this is no more or less than creating and executing another plan, the plan to make your life better.

Thoughts?